Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 03:46 AM

4 posts, read 17,420 times

Advertisements

I was recently offered a job in CC. I visited years ago and really loved the warm weather ect. I currently live in Minneapolis, and i'm just tired of the cold winters. But after doing a lot of research into APT's...and it seems like every review talks about massive infestations of Tree roaches. I can handle them once and awhile, but I would lose it if i had to live with them all over, everyday. Can someone from South Texas please give me some info on this. It's really the only thing making me think twice about the move. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 08:03 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyMack420 View Post
I was recently offered a job in CC. I visited years ago and really loved the warm weather ect. I currently live in Minneapolis, and i'm just tired of the cold winters. But after doing a lot of research into APT's...and it seems like every review talks about massive infestations of Tree roaches. I can handle them once and awhile, but I would lose it if i had to live with them all over, everyday. Can someone from South Texas please give me some info on this. It's really the only thing making me think twice about the move. Thank you!
Just get a BB gun and shoot them off of the walls...We like to hunt here in Texas...Just be sure you have a Federal Roach Stamp on your hunting lic...

Old 04-30-2011, 09:22 AM

404 posts, read 1,244,640 times
I have lived in various cities in Texas, including Corpus, and, although it might exist for some I've had an issue only once. People really tend to exaggerate. Lived in Hawaii also and posts re roach infestations are ridiculous too. Tropical, hot, and humid environments will always have more bugs/roaches than colder climates but it's not as dire as you read and certainly wouldn't affect my decision whether to move to Texas. I'm currently in a heavily forested area outside Houston where there are supposedly humongous flying roaches that could eat you. Not true, I don't even find it necessary to use insecticides often except for the occasional bug, which, yes you will see once-in-awhile. I rarely see a roach and a quick spray with a repellant and *poof* - gone. The only time I've ever had a problem is when my brother house sat for 6 months and didn't bother to clean up a crumb, close a cereal box, wash a dish or vacuum a floor. Had to set off bombs twice...shudders. Now ask me about squirrels that can eat electrical wiring - that's another story.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 9,655 times
I think a lot of depends on where you live. I grew up in an older neighborhood (not bad, just old) and cockroaches in the house were a way of life. We bug bombed pretty frequently, but it still wasn't uncommon to see one scampering across the floor if you turned the light on in the middle of the night. I had friends that lived in newer areas that didn't seem to have the same issues.

However, no matter where you live, because of the weather there are going to be at least some roaches, especially in places like garages. Like mentioned above, your level of tidiness will affect it. You have to be more vigilant in Corpus than in other areas about kitchen cleaning if you want to avoid bugs. I never found the roaches intolerable growing up though, but I was also used to it.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:07 PM

484 posts, read 1,630,969 times
(from the web)

While cockroaches are usually considered to be pests, this is not true of all species. There are over 3,500 species of cockroaches, yet only 1% of them are considered pests. The types that infest homes and bother people have underdeveloped wings, and can only fly for short periods, if they can fly at all. Recently, however, a certain species of the insect, the flying cockroach or Blattella asahinai, has invaded crops in the southern United States, and is being hailed as a boon to farmers for its predation of harmful insect species.
Cockroaches have a long history, and may have been one of the first animals to fly. Many species have adapted to living on the ground as scavengers, however, and no longer have the need or ability to fly. Most cockroaches that do fly are wild species, and do not invade homes or bother humans. The American cockroach or Periplaneta americana, also known as the palmetto bug, is sometimes able to fly — especially the females, which have more developed wings. At least in America, however, they are most often seen running across the floor.

I think what most folks are calling a cockroach is really a palmetto bug.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:36 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,518,634 times
They aren't any badder than in other places. They like to eat, fly around at night and of course .. make more cockroaches... the usual. Its not right to stereotype individuals.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 14,167 times
The roaches here are definitely worse than in other places. I'm originally from Brooklyn, NY, and have lived in PA, DC, VA, and now in Corpus. I have never had to deal with roaches as much anyplace else--even in high rise apartment buildings in DC and VA--than I have in a single family house here. The terms of our lease say that the landlord covers a quarterly extermination, so that helps, but we definitely know when we're due, because all of a sudden we'll see them all the time. My husband also sprays the perimeter every few weeks to keep it under control. They're huge, and a lot come in through the bathroom pipes--we spot them in the bath tub in the middle of the night fairly often. We keep the house clean, but there's only so much you can do--I've seen them crawling around in the grass outside the house. It's gross. We do live in a house that was built in the 80s, which is considered an older house around here, but like I said, i've seen them out in the yard, so I feel that they'd get in anyway, even if the house was built yesterday.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:34 AM

1 posts, read 9,089 times
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Just get a BB gun and shoot them off of the walls...We like to hunt here in Texas...Just be sure you have a Federal Roach Stamp on your hunting lic...
where can i get this hunting licence from?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:34 AM

19 posts, read 52,725 times
My house had a bad roach invasion a couple of years ago. An exterminator took care of it and it hasn't been a problem since. One little guy pops up every few months or so but my cat usually kills them before I notice they're here. If you live in a problem area just have the place sprayed every six months or so.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:52 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyconsa View Post
where can i get this hunting licence from?
wally world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi