U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 01:02 PM

13 posts, read 64,907 times

Advertisements

I did not agree with jbtx's assessment of So Cal beaches. Being from So Cal, I find it impossible to say all beaches in California are narrow and rocky. Maybe Northern California beaches fit that profile slightly better. However, I've been to beaches in Texas, most of the south, and the east coast and still have to say Cali has some of the best beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 08:54 PM

484 posts, read 1,413,847 times
" I once lived in Southern California for a year and would not move back for anything."

I was once stationed in San Francisco for 3 years,,, I thought it was the longest 10 years of my life.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:58 PM

13 posts, read 64,907 times
JBTX, you really hated it that much?
As far as northern california and southern california go, they are very different. I'm not fond of northern california...and as far as southern california goes, Orange County and San Diego are the areas I like. I'm not a fan of LA

Old 09-04-2011, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,956 times
i grew up there but live in Kansas City now. I definately miss the serene beaches. so if you like peace and quiet spaces...Corpus Christi is definately it. If you want to party...you will have to drive up to San Antonio..thats a party town.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,114 times
Love where your from! I'm also moving to Corpus in a few months. It is very laid back but has some fun things to do. Port A has the best bars, local hangouts. Shoreline is nice for a walk or jog downtown. North Padre Island has some bars and the beach is the best there. If you like water sports I think the ajustment will be easy. Our weather is not as nice as southern Calfornia but the winters are basically the same.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:28 PM

19 posts, read 83,772 times
I just moved to CC this month from west Texas and I am absolutely enchanted with this city. It has all the shopping you could possibly want, traffic is not a problem usually except for Staples, Airline and Everhat @ SPID. The beaches are beautiful and I adore the palm trees. People are very open and friendly and I've made friends easily in the short time I've been here. Rent is a bit higher than west Texas but I found a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment with a 1 car garage in a very nice part of town for $840. No, it isn't on the water, but I'm okay with that because everywhere is close to the water here.

I am single and my children are out on their own so I'm no help with schools and what not.

I used this forum when I moved to Big Spring and I read the thread about CC before I moved here. Both times the folks talked about the high crime rate and there was just a lot of negative energy flowing. What I've found both times is that the negative stuff really wasn't as bad as they said. It would be nice to see folks get on this forum and say something nice about their cities for a change.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy CC as much as I have.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:49 PM

354 posts, read 1,055,249 times
^ I agree. Love Corpus and could easily move back.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:59 PM

82 posts, read 197,456 times
I moved here two years ago. The summer this year was brutal... our foundation has cracked like crazy and we are having to do the foundation repair bit here in a couple of weeks. I wasn't prepared for the drought, but I don't think a lot of people were. I think for me that is the roughest thing to get used to... the weather. I can recommend, for any woman moving to Corpus, to look up the New Neighbor's League of Corpus Christi. It is a fabulous organization of people moving into Corpus from all over the U.S. and becomes a real life-line for new people in the area that are trying to get to know the city.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:44 PM

15,246 posts, read 17,417,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by produrre View Post
I moved here two years ago. The summer this year was brutal... our foundation has cracked like crazy and we are having to do the foundation repair bit here in a couple of weeks. I wasn't prepared for the drought, but I don't think a lot of people were. I think for me that is the roughest thing to get used to... the weather. I can recommend, for any woman moving to Corpus, to look up the New Neighbor's League of Corpus Christi. It is a fabulous organization of people moving into Corpus from all over the U.S. and becomes a real life-line for new people in the area that are trying to get to know the city.
Hi! I've wondered about you and how you were adjusting. Sounds like your experience has been positive for the most part. And yes, the weather has been brutal, but it's not just down here. Things are crazy everywhere.

Glad to hear that you're doing ok.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:47 AM

484 posts, read 1,413,847 times
How odd that this thread is still active. Today I find myself in So Cal for a week. My youngest son is being transferred here for a new job, (he will arrive with little more than two suitcases), so his mom and I decided to load up a few things and drive out to help get him settled.

Yesterday we tried to see the famous San Diego Zoo,,, it rained all day. Considering it costs $40 per person to get in and $27.00 for two cheeseburgers and cokes, it wasn't much of a bargain compared to entertainment costs in CC. Later we decided to check out the beach. I didn't get out to verify the quality of the sand grit but the beach was narrow and access was limited. Even the wife commented that it was of poor quality compared to Padre Island. Water temp currently is in the low 50's and I'm told it doesn't get much warmer in the summer.

The thing which strikes me most about the San Diego area is the high cost of living here. As pretty as the hills are here, as tempting as all that is to someone who is used to flat lands, I couldn't afford to live here on my income. Also unemployment seems to be rampant here, everywhere you look there are men standing around looking for day work, the hotel desk clerk told me she had been out of work for 7 months before she found this minimum wage gig. People see the Texas tags on my truck and ask about how things are in TX, I get the impression that a lot of them would leave in a heartbeat if they had the chance.

This trip has further re-enforced my love of CC. We don't know how lucky we are, I can't wait to get home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi