U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 12:31 PM

13 posts, read 64,936 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from OC, CA to Corpus Christi for a job offer. Although I don't plan on living there forever and plan to return to CA, I am very much interested in getting to know Corpus. What are some recommended places/attractions? Being from OC, I'm a beach person. Is there a specific area on the beach where everyone goes to layout or hang out? Are there areas of the city I should avoid? Any recommended places to shop for food (i.e. groceries, meat, etc..)? I've only spent 3 days there and stayed around downtown mainly (Padre Island Drive). It's not a huge city by any means, but it had a nice feel to it. Any recommendations/feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 04:42 PM

Also...any input about anything about the city would be helpful

Old 05-22-2011, 05:26 PM

16,761 posts, read 42,445,029 times
This forum is often not very active, so don't take it personal.

I am not from Corpus but did have my sailboat nearby at Rockport for years. So I will try to add some stuff tomorrow. Got to go for supper now.

Thinking of what to tell you about the area. If you like shrimp you will love it. Lots of fresh shrimp harvested from the bays around those parts.

More tomorrow.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:50 PM

It seems fairly dead...but was hoping to at least get a little bit of info.
I really appreciate your input. . I definitely look forward to hearing more

Old 05-23-2011, 05:46 AM

484 posts, read 1,416,615 times
D8210
I have no clue what "OC" stands for, so I don't know what your expectations are. Are you a family man with kids, or a single guy? It's hard to give advice without more information, but I'll try to tell you about our town and beaches.

I've been to CA and your beaches there do not compare favorably to ours. CA beaches I've seen are narrow and rocky, TX beaches are broad and sandy. There tends to be not much for parking in CA along the beach, our beach is wide enough that we drive and park on the beach,,, just cruise down the beach till you find an empty stretch, park your truck and set up your stuff. Just beware of the dry fluffy sand near the dunes, it has the consistency of flour and you can get stuck in a heartbeat if you are not careful. One negative here; if there has been a storm in the Gulf we get large amounts of seaweed washed up that takes a few days to get cleaned up. Our water is warm, warm, and warmer. No need for wet suits here.

We have many safe neighborhoods and then there is the barrios where I'd suggest you avoid. For grocery shopping you basically have 3 main choices, HEB, Super WalMart, and Sam's Club, of course milk and bread can be had at any corner convenience store. Corpus is located in Nueces county and it is a "wet" county with the usual Texas blue law about buying hard liquor on Sunday, but you can still get beer and wine after 12:00 PM on Sundays; the rest of the week is wide open with liquor stores open from 10 AM till 10 PM.

If you intend to be an apartment dweller you won't have trouble finding housing at reasonable prices, i.e., upscale 2 BR apartments in gated complexes on the south side will run under $1,000 per month.

Driving in Corpus is usually a pleasant experience, we have our daily rush hour x 2 a day, but the rest of the time you can get almost anywhere in 15 - 30 minutes max.

I hope this helps

Old 05-23-2011, 05:56 AM

16,434 posts, read 19,684,940 times
Try Port Aransas for a laid back atmosphere. Other than water related activities, there is not a whole lot going on compared to Cali. I personally love CC, but not everyone can appreciate what South Texas has to offer. People are real and down to earth. Buenas suerta!

PS: Be careful of Portugese Man-O-Wars!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:25 AM

484 posts, read 1,416,615 times
I agree that Port A is nice, however it'd be way to far to commute to CC for a job for me. I like my commute time to be 20 minutes or less.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
D8210
I have no clue what "OC" stands for, so I don't know what your expectations are. Are you a family man with kids, or a single guy? It's hard to give advice without more information
JBTX,

OC stands for Orange County (in southern California). I am a single guy in my late 20's.

Thank you for giving me such a detailed response with a bunch of info I consider VERY useful. I definitely will put it to use

Old 05-23-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
suerta!

PS: Be careful of Portugese Man-O-Wars!
Bideshi,

Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware that Portuguese Man-O-Wars were readily found in the area.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:55 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,452,454 times
First of all, welcome to CC!

Here is a link to a thread with a lot of information about CC, including the good, the bad and the ugly:
//www.city-data.com/forum/corpu...lace-move.html

If you look through that and have questions, please let us know. Not trying to be rude at all, but people often post "What is Corpus like?" and there is already quite a bit of information already on here.

Also, downtown and SPID are not close to one another. Not sure where you spent your time when you were here, but in any case, there will be another part of CC for you to explore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi