Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 06:35 PM

87 posts, read 220,080 times

Advertisements

Looks like we're going there for a long weekend next week- just wanted to get some favorite spots from people that go there. We used to go to South Padre Island a lot, but it's a bit of a drive from here.

Would love to hear about favorite restaurants to go to with kids (we have a 2 year old) best beach spot, best shops, etc. Not a whole lot online about Port A. Any info is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 07:29 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Well, for one it's 180 miles from San Antonio!

Try the Corpus Christi forum, you'll get better info there!

Cheers! M2

Old 05-15-2011, 08:49 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
We just took a long weekend last weekend there. Family type of food joint, Moby Dicks..little of everything lots to look at. Usually has a wait. Also went to Port A brewing company and they have a great hamburger,good beer and a kids menu (we went for lunch) got a condo online thru VRBO.com( for the same price as a hotel room) and about a half block from beach with a pool.. Good times Good luck

Old 05-15-2011, 10:18 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
You'll probably get a lot more useful information once you arrive there. The town is not that big, so you could probably visit all the good restaurants and shops if you wanted.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
It is pretty much one long continuous beach from Port Aransas to South Padre Island, with only a few cuts connecting the bays with the gulf. I tend to prefer the beaches in the Port Aransas city limits because they have decent public restrooms with running water and a place to shower the sand off. I don't know of any restrooms like that over near Corpus. It is also fun to walk out on the jetties at Port Aransas and watch the boats coming in and out of the cut. You can often sit on the jetties and watch dolphins swim in and out. Some of the jettie walk is paved, but parts of the jetties are rough and might be dangerous for a 2 year old to walk on.

Unlike much of South Padre Island, there are no hotels directly on the beach, they are behind the dunes. You can drive your car on the beach from Port Aransas south past Corpus Christi and park pretty much anywhere along it, and set up your beach area with your car and beer cooler close by. Try to drive only on the most heavily traveled parts of the beach, as you can get stuck in loose sand in some places.

The Chamber of Commerce has some good information here: Port Aransas Chamber of Commerce and Tourist Bureau | Port Aransas, Mustang Island, Texas Beach Vacation Destination

Restaurants: It used to be hard to find places that serve breakfast. It looks like that has improved some.

Whataburger has good breakfast taquitos.

Virginias Virginias on the Bay has breakfast on Saturday & Sunday.

Trout Street http://www.tsbag.com/

Bundy's Bundy's - Home has breakfast

Taqueria San Juan, 410 Cut-Off Road has breakfast and mexican food.

Beach and Station Street Grill steak and seafood restaurant in Port Aransas, TX has a kids menu and breakfast according to web comments.

Beaches Cafe and Bakery at 118 Beach Street.

Last edited by CptnRn; 05-15-2011 at 12:15 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 04:04 PM

87 posts, read 220,080 times
Thanks so much for the information!!! This helps so much!

Old 05-19-2011, 12:59 PM
SOM

124 posts, read 480,948 times
I recommend a trip to the Aransas Wildlife Refuge.....it's maybe 30 minutes from PA, and has some nice hiking and trails (if it's not too hot). You'll probably see some alligators too. Rockport/Fulton Beach is a nice drive as well, with some retaurants along the water. The Boiling Pot is a fun dining experience!

the-boiling-pot.com

Old 06-07-2011, 09:42 AM

197 posts, read 796,888 times
I ALWAYS tell friends to go to the Boiling Pot in Rockport. Best food dive in the area!

Old 06-07-2011, 01:56 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryMagic View Post
I ALWAYS tell friends to go to the Boiling Pot in Rockport. Best food dive in the area!
It might be fun if you have kids that will enjoy making a big mess at the table. But my wife and I did not enjoy either the food or the atmosphere there. Essentially they cook all the food together in a big boiling pot, then dump it in a pile in the middle of your table and everyone helps themselves. They also hand out hammers that are used to crack the crabs open, which I found to be a huge messy job and a lot of work to get a tiny little bit of crab meat.

It was not an experience I ever wanted to repeat.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:27 AM

197 posts, read 796,888 times
CptnRN,
Sorry to hear your dining experience didn't bode well. One of my coworkers aunt, owns the place, and when I told her hello from her niece, my date and I got an extra pound of peel n eat shrimp.
Ourselves, we didn't have kids with us....which is one of the pleasures of having grown up kids...we can go back to our youths ourselves. LOL
We had enough food leftover, that they gave us a big white plastic bucket and it was filled halfway with leftovers. Enough for a Saturday night "boil" after a day on the Island.
I've lived in several states that specialize in Crab Boils....guess you have to have the state of mind to enjoy them.
Bom apetite in the future! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi