U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 18,049 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the Corpus area and found a place in Driscoll. Is it a fairly safe town? Is there anything I need to know about it? I've heard a bunch of bad things about Robstown, but nothing about Driscoll. Is no news good news?

I was looking up random statistics about Driscoll, and the average price of a house has risen dramatically in the past couple of years, and it seems that crime has dropped a lot. Can anyone tell me what may have caused this? Or are the statistics just being manipulated?

Driscoll went from having a crime index of 1111.3 to 100.2 in a period of 4 years. The US average is 319.2 according to the graph. Was it really that dangerous of a place to live in before 2009?

Last edited by xskittlehead; 05-23-2011 at 12:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 12:40 PM

15,246 posts, read 17,404,178 times
Driscoll is not much more than a wide spot in the road. I'm not sure what their crime stats are, but it's such a small population that any change in crime (or housing sales, for that matter) is going to skew the statistics. If wealthy farmer built a big house in the city limits it would have bumped up the housing price average.

Is there a particular reason you want to be in Driscoll? You're going to be 15 mins. from Kingsville (the nearest real grocery store or shopping center) and 30 mins. from Corpus Christi. There's nothing to look at but farm fields and very, very little to do. If you're after a small town, poverty-stricken, South Texas feel, you'll get it there. Having said that, I'm suppose it's safe enough, but certainly no safer than living in an established neighborhood in CC.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:51 PM

16,760 posts, read 42,346,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xskittlehead View Post
I am relocating to the Corpus area and found a place in Driscoll. Is it a fairly safe town? Is there anything I need to know about it? I've heard a bunch of bad things about Robstown, but nothing about Driscoll. Is no news good news?

I was looking up random statistics about Driscoll, and the average price of a house has risen dramatically in the past couple of years, and it seems that crime has dropped a lot. Can anyone tell me what may have caused this? Or are the statistics just being manipulated?

Driscoll went from having a crime index of 1111.3 to 100.2 in a period of 4 years. The US average is 319.2 according to the graph. Was it really that dangerous of a place to live in before 2009?
I think all of that data is skewed because it is such a small place. In the case of home purchases, if only one or two home sold each year there could be a huge disparity on the chart between the value of the homes sold on those different years. If you look at this chart it shows there are very few houses valued over $100,000.

If you are planning on renting there you should make sure you see the place before getting obligated to it.

Same with the crime rate data. If you look closer at the data, there were NOT 1111.3 crimes in 2005. How to you get .3 crimes? That number represents a mathematical manipulation to try and make it comparable to crime statistics from larger communities. which is totally invalid for a small community. Look at the actual numbers. The actual crimes that year were 1 robbery, 2 assaults, 11 burglaries and 188 thefts. Even if the thefts number is accurate, it represents about 1 theft every two days.

One or two bad apples moving into a small town like that could easily account for all of those crimes. The crimes dropping over the following years probably indicates that the criminals were arrested or moved somewhere else.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:39 PM

11 posts, read 50,799 times
I moved here last year and we almost moved to Driscoll, UNTIL we actually went there..There's nothing there. I would live in Calallen area (Corpus Christi area), zip 78410. Its 6 miles to Robstown, but the difference is between having a life and not having one at all. Its 15-20 mins to the actual town of Corpus and 30 mins from Kingsville where we live now. Soon we are moving there, it has life...I am not trying to put any town down, promise, just trying to find a town where i don't feel i live in nowhereville. I agree with what others said, the town stats are like outliers, one move on one person's part changes the stats of the whole area. I could drive through Driscoll with my eyes closed and not miss anything or hit anything...By the way when you are looking for housing, look at NORTHWEST that is the calallen area...and by the way, I wouldn't think Robstown is bad, poor, but not bad...and Rosie's Tamales are there which you gotta eat...I drive 23 miles or whatever it is just for her tamales, never felt unsafe there...Calallen is gonna save my sanity...and i think its affordable there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or