U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 08:29 PM

26 posts, read 84,136 times

Advertisements

I would like to say thank you for helping me, I feel that the area is going to work out just fine for me!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 03:01 PM

66 posts, read 133,003 times
I live in Port O'Connor which is a good deal smaller and closer to the gulf then Port Lavaca. Lavaca is where I go for shopping. They have a Walmart, Heb and a number of other good stores. Most the houses in Port Lavaca are built directly on the ground and not on stilts. When property is said to be sea level it's still a few feet above sea level. Flooding can occur at any level if you get enough rain. The Lavaca bays water level fluctuates very little. Varmints go with the territory, keep your GROUNDS cleared and you'll be OK. I've seen rattlers, moccasins and alligators my point being, I SEE them and can keep clear. Tropical storms are just the price you pay for living on the coast. I think it's worth it.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:30 PM

Thank you so much,I plan to go out there the end of july to see the property! Im glad to know that stilts are not necessary in that area.I so appreciate you helping me get an idea of the area!!! you are an angel~diane

Old 07-01-2011, 07:54 AM

16,760 posts, read 42,393,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazosJaime View Post
I live in Port O'Connor which is a good deal smaller and closer to the gulf then Port Lavaca. Lavaca is where I go for shopping. They have a Walmart, Heb and a number of other good stores. Most the houses in Port Lavaca are built directly on the ground and not on stilts. When property is said to be sea level it's still a few feet above sea level. Flooding can occur at any level if you get enough rain. The Lavaca bays water level fluctuates very little. Varmints go with the territory, keep your GROUNDS cleared and you'll be OK. I've seen rattlers, moccasins and alligators my point being, I SEE them and can keep clear. Tropical storms are just the price you pay for living on the coast. I think it's worth it.
You are greatly underplaying things claiming that Lavaca Bay water levels fluctuate very little. The bay fluctuates just as much as any other bay on the Texas coast, and is prone to storm surge flooding during hurricanes. Lavaca Bay is home to Indianola, one of the few Texas coastal communities that was been completely wiped out by hurricanes.

Quote:
INDIANOLA HURRICANES | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) The first of the two great Indianola hurricanes that resulted in the demise of the town began on September 15, 1875, when Indianola was crammed with visitors attending a trial growing out of the Sutton-Taylor Feud. The hurricane blew in from the sea, carrying the water from Matagorda Bay deep into Indianola's streets. Two days later, when the storm had subsided, only eight buildings were left undamaged, and fatalities were estimated at between 150 and 300 persons. After being rebuilt on a lesser scale, Indianola was completely destroyed by a second hurricane that blew in on August 19, 1886, this time accompanied by fire. This storm was considered worse than the first one, but because there was less town, it caused less damage.
Indianola was located half way between Port Lavaca and Port O'Connor. Port Lavaca is considered less flood prone then Port O'Connor because it is further North in the bay, further from the gulf so will experience less storm surge.

Port Lavaca is in Calhoun County, Tx which recommends that all citizens living there be prepared for hurricanes and monitor the weather conditions during hurricane season. Calhoun County Texas

This Matagorda Flood Map provided by the County http://www.calhouncotx.org/em/MatagordaStudyAreaMap.pdf shows that all of the land areas around Lavaca Bay and Matagorda Bay (shown in pink) are in Risk Area 1, which means they are at risk of flooding and damage if even the mildest Hurricane, Type 1, were to make landfall in the area. i.e. All persons living in Risk Area 1 should evacuate when ANY hurricane approaches the area. In a Level 5 hurricane, the evacuation area extends almost all of the way to Victoria.

These coastal communities can be great places to live, but you need to be aware of and realistic about the risks involved when you live there, and be prepared to deal with them.

Last edited by CptnRn; 07-01-2011 at 08:10 AM..

Old 07-01-2011, 10:11 AM

I'll let my original post stand as is. The last two sentences cover any perceived underplay.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazosJaime View Post
I'll let my original post stand as is. The last two sentences cover any perceived underplay.

"Tropical storms are just the price you pay for living on the coast. I think it's worth it."
Like the price these people payed at Galveston in Hurricane Ike, 2008?

That single house, was built on stilts and designed to handle a hurricane, all of its neighbors, which were not, are gone.

More photos here: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/200...l_life_of.html

Last edited by CptnRn; 07-01-2011 at 11:04 AM..

Old 07-01-2011, 11:38 PM

Diane, As Marlow says do some research before determining the type of building best suited for your property. Storm surge is a concern but unlike Galveston, Port Lavaca is not directly on a barrier island. Once you get use to our average day to day weather, you will love living in the coastal area. Welcome to Texas, from a Texan. Jaime

Old 07-04-2011, 02:13 AM

-omg---those pictures were-- the scarry truth....I can see that living in tx will be a living challenge,as well as learning survival.. thank the good lord for each new day!

Old 07-04-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianehughes View Post
-omg---those pictures were-- the scarry truth....I can see that living in tx will be a living challenge,as well as learning survival.. thank the good lord for each new day!
I don't want to overly frighten you about hurricanes, but it is something that one should be aware of. It can be a great place to live, but one needs to be aware of the risks as well.

On the positive side, Texas has almost zero risk of earthquakes or volcanic eruptions.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:24 PM

thank you, and i will surely get all the emerg, info in line-look like i will need it!!! I am sure that you was'nt trying to scare me with the pic's- and i DO APPRECIATE the truth! thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi