U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 05:46 PM

26 posts, read 84,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazosJaime View Post
Diane, As Marlow says do some research before determining the type of building best suited for your property. Storm surge is a concern but unlike Galveston, Port Lavaca is not directly on a barrier island. Once you get use to our average day to day weather, you will love living in the coastal area. Welcome to Texas, from a Texan. Jaime
thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 10:00 AM

26 posts, read 84,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazosJaime View Post
Diane, As Marlow says do some research before determining the type of building best suited for your property. Storm surge is a concern but unlike Galveston, Port Lavaca is not directly on a barrier island. Once you get use to our average day to day weather, you will love living in the coastal area. Welcome to Texas, from a Texan. Jaime
Jaime,if you dont mind my asking-what kind of home do you have,you do live by the water? I actually have been speaking with a company in carolina that builds- Deltec round homes..I dont know of any other builders for hurricaine resistant homes..any ideas? thank you

Old 07-05-2011, 09:16 PM

66 posts, read 132,986 times
Diane, I live in a RV about 1 mile from Matagorda Bay. If a hurricane were headed this way I would hook up and move it to a safer location further inland. I have a house 60 miles inland just outside of Houston. It's a standard house and in 34 yrs all I have ever done is board up the windows. No problem with a storm surge that far inland, just high winds. Matagorda Bay leads into Lavaca Bay but still it would depend on how far your property actually is from Lavaca Bay. I'll get the names of a couple of local contractors you can talk to. My sister just had a house built here a couple of years ago. It's up on stilts but it is right on the ICC and even closer to the gulf. No matter what type constuction your house is, if a hurricane is headed this way, the safest plan is to evacuate.
Unlike your California earthquakes you will get plenty of notice.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,790 times
I live in Ganado. I personally don't care for Port Lavaca a whole lot..but I am also not a big into the bay or fishing. It is nice because it does have Walmart, HEB and some restaurants. It is only about 40 minutes to Victoria which has a mall and lots of restaurants and shopping.

I have seen round houses (yurts?) up in WA state, but not down here at all.

As for hurricanes, I personally wouldn't worry too much. If you watch the weather and LISTEN to the evacuation orders you will leave and not stay in the event of a hurricane. A lot of people don't though because they have left before and nothing happened so they stay and hope for the best.

I like it a lot in TX. It is really different from other places though. I have lived here since 2001 and it was culture shock moving here.

Here are some things to be aware of, don't let them scare you away

IT GETS REALLLLLLLLY HOT in the summer, like May-Sept it is 90+.
It is VERY humid. I mean like stepping into a steamy shower kind of humid, but you get used to it.
There are fire ants. OMG, those things drive me crazy.
There are flying coach roaches. I think in other areas they are called palmetto bugs. Google them. They are gross..but keep your house sprayed and clean and you have less of them.
There are mosquito's.
There are alligators.
There are poisonous snakes.

One of the pros are it is nice in the fall winter and spring. It gets cold, but doesn't stay very cold.
It is definitely a slower pace. I like it though.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 448 times
My stepdad has a house in Port Lavaca and I LOVE it! We hadn't been going down there much but the lawn man quit on us so that gave me a reason to start going back and boy am I glad too!
Its so peaceful there, the people are friendly and like to fish!

One thing I did learn the hard way, their is a thing called high tide and you better watch where you park your truck! Lol! I parked in a bad place down by the causeway one time and when I got back to my truck it was waist deep in water! game warden pulled me out , Thank God! That was the days before cell phone, I would have been stranded for sure!

I love Port Lavaca and cant wait to get down there to mow the yard (ASAP) I hope to meet some nice people there and learn more about salt water fishing too! Good evening to all!

Old 05-11-2016, 09:05 AM

525 posts, read 330,078 times
My family has lived on the Texas coast for a long time so here are my thoughts.

1. Hurricanes and Tropical storms happen, they should be planned for and you should keep an eye on the weather/news to get warnings. Luckily they are one of the few natural disasters you can personally get out of the way of.

2. They are rare enough where people get lazy or overconfident.

3. Strength and where they hit can mean a big difference in destruction in different areas, err on the side of evacuating.

4. There are multiple forms of destructive force. a. Storm surge which is basically being in the ocean. b. Strong winds c. Missile debris created by storm surge and strong winds and storm surge. d. Flooding from rain. If you are directly on the water you want strong construction with elevation. You also want to remove anything that can get turned into a missile like patio furniture, potted plants, debris. If you are building also make sure they hurricane strap it. The stronger the hurricane is and as you get closer to the center of it's force on the northern side of it the more the four elements work together to destroy things. For instance a badly constructed pier can be broken up by storm surge and then thrown into buildings by high winds. You'll also see instances where complete disaster is avoided for random reasons like the storm hit at high tide or turned just enough that the storm surge was feet lower than it would have been. You aren't smart enough to predict all these things so when the authorities say leave, leave.

5. Don't keep anything so valuable to you you cannot pack up your car and be gone in an hour or two and be ok with losing anything left behind.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:29 PM

6 posts, read 2,944 times
Default Port Lavaca

Diane

I live in Portland and it's pretty nice. I moved here from Lake Tahoe last year and I've gotta say the humidity and summer heat can be brutal! Fall, winter are awesome and early spring is good but rains pretty solid.
Stilts would be an idea in Port Lavaca as its pretty flat for sure.
Good luck on your decisions of stilts or not!

Old 05-23-2016, 07:34 PM

6 posts, read 2,944 times
Default Coastal texas

Diane,

Forgot to mention, I've seen at least 20 alligators in the year I've lived here and at least that many water mocassins. The fire ants are a serious nuisance and bite really hard. The flying roaches don't bother me, they are all over Hawaii and I dealt with them when I lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi