U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2011, 02:06 PM
 
Location: California
26 posts, read 84,092 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

Could someone please assist me in finding information on living in port lavaca-i have land there,and was thinking of relocating to this area,never been outside of california...please help me in my journey to the UNKNOWN..Im a single woman-no family in that area and I would like to get an Honest idea of what im looking at....thank you ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,977 posts, read 33,993,161 times
Reputation: 13990
PL is one of my favorite vacation spots on the coast because it's not too small and not too big. It's also not touristy like the coastal cities to the south because it's located in the working, industrial part of the Texas coast. There are some new condo developments under construction along the coast outside of PL, so it's becoming a more popular place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2011, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
16,760 posts, read 42,363,498 times
Reputation: 9297
A couple who were our best boating buddies kept their 38' sailboat at the municipal marina in PL for about a year. We spent many weekend with them on it and sailing Matagorda Bay. All of the people we met there seemed nice and easy going. We later moved our sailboat from Austin down to the coast to join them, but we both moved our boats to Rockport as the bays there are more suited to deep keel sailboats. The water around Port Lavaca has lots more shallows and obstructions to worry about, it is better for power boats.

PL is a nice quiet coastal community. Another friend of mine grew up there, it was a great place for a family with growing children she said. The family had a power boat that they used to explore the area and water ski up and down the bays and the rivers that feed into the bay. Shrimp fishing is pretty big on all the bays so there is an abundance of fresh shrimp, oysters and fish. Most of the people who live in PL work across Lavaca Bay at the Alcoa Aluminum plant.

From PL you have relatively easy access to several other nice small coastal communities and gulf beaches such as Port O'Connor to the South. To the East there is Matagorda, Surfside and Galveston. To the West there is Rockport, Port Aransas and Corpus Christi. Houston is not far away when you feel the need to go to a big city.

Here are some other threads discussing the area and communities around it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/corpu...ny-advice.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/corpu...l#post17319407

//www.city-data.com/forum/corpu...l#post15389022

//www.city-data.com/forum/corpu...l#post14361154

//www.city-data.com/forum/corpu...-me-about.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/corpu...l#post10056173

//www.city-data.com/forum/corpu...-pictures.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 02:27 AM
 
Location: California
26 posts, read 84,092 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
PL is one of my favorite vacation spots on the coast because it's not too small and not too big. It's also not touristy like the coastal cities to the south because it's located in the working, industrial part of the Texas coast. There are some new condo developments under construction along the coast outside of PL, so it's becoming a more popular place to live.
Thank you for helping me,I appreciate your kindness..Do you know if that area is prone to floods,when i purchased my property, the realtor had told me the land is at sea level. I actually prefer small town's over big cities-so I think I will enjoy living in PL, Oh one more thing-How is the area on --Snakes or alligators ...I Know..I know...just bare with this california girl(lol)...Im imbarresed to say -I just found out about chiggers,ticks,snakes & possoms...lol..Looks like alot of learning is in my future schedule,,,hay-thanks agian!...Diane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 08:13 AM
 
15,246 posts, read 17,417,126 times
Reputation: 25475
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianehughes View Post
Thank you for helping me,I appreciate your kindness..Do you know if that area is prone to floods,when i purchased my property, the realtor had told me the land is at sea level. I actually prefer small town's over big cities-so I think I will enjoy living in PL, Oh one more thing-How is the area on --Snakes or alligators ...I Know..I know...just bare with this california girl(lol)...Im imbarresed to say -I just found out about chiggers,ticks,snakes & possoms...lol..Looks like alot of learning is in my future schedule,,,hay-thanks agian!...Diane
As a general rule, if the land is at sea level, it's going to be prone to flooding. It will certainly be a risk in a hurricane. Is there already a house there, or are you building? Whether you see snakes, alligators, chiggers and ticks will depend somewhat on the immediate environment. Stay out of tall grass to avoid chiggers. You'll have mosquitos and possums whereever you go. (I'm actually a fan of the lowly possum. They pose no threat to people at all, and they eat roaches and other wanted things. They can also be hard on a vegetable garden, but that's a topic for another thread.)

I'm curious--how did you choose Port Lavaca?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 03:29 PM
 
Location: California
26 posts, read 84,092 times
Reputation: 21
Hello agian and Thank you for your reply!
I was born in tulsa,as a small child-my mother passed away and my father brought me here to california..I visited my grandparents just briefly in Oklahoma(maybe once every 10 yrs) .I have always been drawn to southern hospitality,as I have it myself-and in many situations in life- Ive missed it-so reciently I placed a bid on e-bay..the land is just that-no septic,no water,no electric,,,so-with all that said I am taking this one step at a time..I am leaning towards maybe to purchase a Deltec (round House) and placing it on the property-as I have been told they are great at withholding wind storms..any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 08:15 AM
 
15,246 posts, read 17,417,126 times
Reputation: 25475
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianehughes View Post
Hello agian and Thank you for your reply!
I was born in tulsa,as a small child-my mother passed away and my father brought me here to california..I visited my grandparents just briefly in Oklahoma(maybe once every 10 yrs) .I have always been drawn to southern hospitality,as I have it myself-and in many situations in life- Ive missed it-so reciently I placed a bid on e-bay..the land is just that-no septic,no water,no electric,,,so-with all that said I am taking this one step at a time..I am leaning towards maybe to purchase a Deltec (round House) and placing it on the property-as I have been told they are great at withholding wind storms..any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
Did you buy it sight unseen? It's a nice area with friendly people, but I just hope your land is going to be right for you.

Depending on the area, you might think about building a house on stilts. You see lots of those on the coast. Even a round house (haven't heard of doing that) would flood. Definitely consult with people in the area before you get started. In fact, I'd start out by talking to an insurance agent to find out what kind of house you need to build to be able to insure it. Then talk to a reputable builder. Beware of fly-by-night contractors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 02:05 PM
 
Location: California
26 posts, read 84,092 times
Reputation: 21
oh wow,thank you-had'nt thought of that! Thank you..I had thought of the stilts already-good idea. and also -yes,i bought the land without personally seeing it(only had pictures)..Im planning to take a trip out that way in a few months to see it first hand. I figured I scout the area to see how the other residents are making it work for them,maybe I can get an idea of what I will need to do as far as the house goes.. Although I still have some family in Oklahoma-I will not have any there in texas,but as long as I am closer than California-Im sure I will feel at home-Real excited!!! Thanks a million!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 02:33 PM
 
15,246 posts, read 17,417,126 times
Reputation: 25475
Diane, I live in Corpus Christi so I'm not very familiar with the Port Lavaca area. I have a friend who lives in Ganado, which I believe is just West of PL. She's been there about 15 years and is very happy with the small town life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2011, 08:14 PM
 
Location: California
26 posts, read 84,092 times
Reputation: 21
Default Thank you

Marlow,
I just wanted to tell you thanks a million for your advice!
I appreciate your kindness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top