U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 01:48 PM

18 posts, read 208,083 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions about the Corpus Christi area, and was hoping some of you (who live there) could help.

1.) I've noticed there are a *ton* of apartment complexes very close to the beach. I'm currently looking at the huge cluster of them located on or near S Padre Island Drive, near Oso Bay. While I'm a fan of checking online reviews of any apartment complex before considering them, I'm also well aware that those who have had a bad experience are far more likely to leave a review, and well, 10 people writing a bad review on an apartment complex that houses over 100 people/families doesn't always give a person a good idea of what to expect. While I take the reviews into consideration, I would love to hear from people who have lived in the apartments recently, or perhaps people who live in them now. Would anyone be able to recommend an apartment complex in that area? Our budget is between $650 & $850 monthly for a 1 or 2 bedroom.

2.) Bugs and rats? I'm wondering what to expect bug/pest wise when living near the gulf. I read several apartment reviews that spoke of roach and rat problems, and while I had considered water roaches may be an issue, rats had not even crossed my mind. I then read a post on here regarding gators and snakes. Are all of these critters something I need to be aware of in the area that I am looking at in Corpus?

3.) Jellyfish... Last time I went to Corpus the jellyfish seemed to be really bad. I went horseback riding on the beach, and it seemed like every few seconds the horses were stepping on them and popping them. Is there a jellyfish season, are they bad all the time, or do they just kind of come and go?

4.) The water... I've heard that the water is much more clear around the South Padre Island area. Is this true? I've actually been to South Padre, but I've not been anywhere else, so I have nothing to compare it to. Are there designated places for people to swim, or can you pretty much walk wherever you want along the beach? Would you recommend even going in the water, or would it probably be a bad idea due to the jellyfish, etc? Also, did that huge oil spill in the gulf affect the water or beaches in this area? I know it seems like old news to some, as it is no longer making headlines, but I was wondering if the beaches are clean in this area.

5.) Hurricanes! While I was born in San Antonio, I was raised mostly in Oklahoma City (near the Moore area), so I know all about deadly weather. Hurricanes, however, will be a slightly new experience for me. How often is the Corpus/South Padre area threatened by hurricanes? My mother and father lived in Corpus in the late 70's and said they only had to evacuate once, but I know things change over the years. Are hurricanes pretty much the only threat (weather-wise) in the area? I'm used to heat and humidity, but do you guys get any decent amounts of rain?

6.) What is the job market like? Is it very difficult to find jobs that pay well/decent (at least $15.00 an hour or more)? Are there certain industries/jobs/companies in Corpus where a great many people work? Would you say that there are a decent amount of jobs in the way of social work, counseling, etc?

7.) Are there any parts of Corpus that you would consider high crime areas that people should steer clear of?

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 09:30 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,417,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGrrl View Post
I have a few questions about the Corpus Christi area, and was hoping some of you (who live there) could help.

1.) I've noticed there are a *ton* of apartment complexes very close to the beach. I'm currently looking at the huge cluster of them located on or near S Padre Island Drive, near Oso Bay. While I'm a fan of checking online reviews of any apartment complex before considering them, I'm also well aware that those who have had a bad experience are far more likely to leave a review, and well, 10 people writing a bad review on an apartment complex that houses over 100 people/families doesn't always give a person a good idea of what to expect. While I take the reviews into consideration, I would love to hear from people who have lived in the apartments recently, or perhaps people who live in them now. Would anyone be able to recommend an apartment complex in that area? Our budget is between $650 & $850 monthly for a 1 or 2 bedroom.

Sorry, but I can't really help you much with questions about apartments.

2.) Bugs and rats? I'm wondering what to expect bug/pest wise when living near the gulf. I read several apartment reviews that spoke of roach and rat problems, and while I had considered water roaches may be an issue, rats had not even crossed my mind. I then read a post on here regarding gators and snakes. Are all of these critters something I need to be aware of in the area that I am looking at in Corpus?

Roaches are always an issue here, but should not be as big an issue in a newer complex, especially if they spray for them every so often. You should ask if the apartment complex if they do regular pest control. Rats inside are certainly not a naturally occurring problem. I could see how there could be some mouse problems if a brand new complex was built right next to an undeveloped field, but in general rats would be a sign of bad complex management. I think the posts about gators and snakes referred to the Port Lavaca area, which is much more rural. Occasionally someone will see an alligator in or near Oso Creek, but it's unusual. Same with snakes. It's not something you have to worry about.

3.) Jellyfish... Last time I went to Corpus the jellyfish seemed to be really bad. I went horseback riding on the beach, and it seemed like every few seconds the horses were stepping on them and popping them. Is there a jellyfish season, are they bad all the time, or do they just kind of come and go?

You were probably seeing Portugese Man-of-War on the beach if the horses were popping them. They sting too. I think jelly fish are more prevalent in the hot months, but you see both of them at different times of year. You can usually see them in the water and avoid them.

4.) The water... I've heard that the water is much more clear around the South Padre Island area. Is this true? I've actually been to South Padre, but I've not been anywhere else, so I have nothing to compare it to. Are there designated places for people to swim, or can you pretty much walk wherever you want along the beach? Would you recommend even going in the water, or would it probably be a bad idea due to the jellyfish, etc? Also, did that huge oil spill in the gulf affect the water or beaches in this area? I know it seems like old news to some, as it is no longer making headlines, but I was wondering if the beaches are clean in this area.

The water is prettier the further south you go. You can swim anywhere and it's not a bad idea, as long as you are very respecful of the water. By that I mean that the bigger the waves, the more cautious you should be about going out and never ever let children swim unattended. Two people have already drowned at the beach this year--a 12-year-old boy and a 30-year-old man. People underestimate the power of the rip tide.

The oil spill did not affect the beaches around Corpus Christi. Some beaches are dirtier than others, but there's no oil related mess.

5.) Hurricanes! While I was born in San Antonio, I was raised mostly in Oklahoma City (near the Moore area), so I know all about deadly weather. Hurricanes, however, will be a slightly new experience for me. How often is the Corpus/South Padre area threatened by hurricanes? My mother and father lived in Corpus in the late 70's and said they only had to evacuate once, but I know things change over the years. Are hurricanes pretty much the only threat (weather-wise) in the area? I'm used to heat and humidity, but do you guys get any decent amounts of rain?

It's impossible to predict how many storms will approach this part of the coast, but you'll get warning before a hurricane strikes and will have time to evacuate if you need to. We're in a drought right now and have had only a few inches of rain all year. It's already really hot, too, and will not cool off til maybe the end of September.

6.) What is the job market like? Is it very difficult to find jobs that pay well/decent (at least $15.00 an hour or more)? Are there certain industries/jobs/companies in Corpus where a great many people work? Would you say that there are a decent amount of jobs in the way of social work, counseling, etc?

The job market is not good, unless you're in health care. People work in oil related industries and in things related to the Navy base. I often see jobs for case managers, and other social work-type jobs at various agencies, but have no idea what they pay. I don't think I'd move to CC without a job.

7.) Are there any parts of Corpus that you would consider high crime areas that people should steer clear of?

There are high crime areas, but if you're looking at apartment complexes around SPID I don't think you should have any trouble, unless it's car break-ins or something like that. If the area looks seedy, stay out. Also, most crime is drug/gang related and if you're not doing any of that, you should be fine.

Thanks in advance!
Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Old 06-10-2011, 10:53 AM

16,760 posts, read 42,363,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGrrl

Sorry, but I can't really help you much with questions about apartments.
Me either, have not lived in one for ages.

Roaches are always an issue here, but should not be as big an issue in a newer complex, especially if they spray for them every so often. You should ask if the apartment complex if they do regular pest control. Rats inside are certainly not a naturally occurring problem. I could see how there could be some mouse problems if a brand new complex was built right next to an undeveloped field, but in general rats would be a sign of bad complex management. I think the posts about gators and snakes referred to the Port Lavaca area, which is much more rural. Occasionally someone will see an alligator in or near Oso Creek, but it's unusual. Same with snakes. It's not something you have to worry about.

Rats, bugs, snakes can be a problem in most of Texas, but are easily managed. We have never had a lot of them indoors. Gators do live along most of Coastal Texas but are not as common as in Florida. I disagree that they are any more over around Port Lavaca then there are around Corpus. However, they are not aggressive toward humans. Just don't go swimming in any swampy areas. The photo sticky at the top of this forum includes a photo of some gators in the ponds you can walk by at the Aransas Wildlife Refuge 60 miles NE of Corpus. There is nothing keeping them from migrating anywhere they choose along the coast, it is all similar marshy habitat once you get away from the City.

You were probably seeing Portugese Man-of-War on the beach if the horses were popping them. They sting too. I think jelly fish are more prevalent in the hot months, but you see both of them at different times of year. You can usually see them in the water and avoid them.

They come and go, sometimes they are numerous, sometimes there are none around.

The water is prettier the further south you go. You can swim anywhere and it's not a bad idea, as long as you are very respecful of the water. By that I mean that the bigger the waves, the more cautious you should be about going out and never ever let children swim unattended. Two people have already drowned at the beach this year--a 12-year-old boy and a 30-year-old man. People underestimate the power of the rip tide.

The oil spill did not affect the beaches around Corpus Christi. Some beaches are dirtier than others, but there's no oil related mess.

You should watch out for a riptide, but I have never encountered one swimming on Texas beaches. Occasionally tarballs wash up on the beaches, but they are not necessarily from oil spills, they were common in Texas before there were oil wells. 300 years ago coastal Texas indians used the tar ball material to waterproof their baskets. Early settlers in Port Aransas gathered them off the beaches to waterproof their roofs.

It's impossible to predict how many storms will approach this part of the coast, but you'll get warning before a hurricane strikes and will have time to evacuate if you need to. We're in a drought right now and have had only a few inches of rain all year. It's already really hot, too, and will not cool off til maybe the end of September.

- Other common weather hazards are tornados, hail storms and flooding from heavy rains up north. All Texas rivers drain to the coast and often cause flooding near rivers downstream. In the Corpus area flooding is primarily limited to storm surge from hurricanes and tropical depressions, that not only drop a lot of rain but cause the ocean level to rise in the area of the depression. Most of Corpus is not very flood prone away from the beach, but you can see the flood plain maps at the link in the Corpus sticky thread.

The job market is not good, unless you're in health care. People work in oil related industries and in things related to the Navy base. I often see jobs for case managers, and other social work-type jobs at various agencies, but have no idea what they pay. I don't think I'd move to CC without a job.

- ditto...

There are high crime areas, but if you're looking at apartment complexes around SPID I don't think you should have any trouble, unless it's car break-ins or something like that. If the area looks seedy, stay out. Also, most crime is drug/gang related and if you're not doing any of that, you should be fine.

- That is mostly correct, again there is a link to a thread discussing Corpus crime in the sticky thread.

Thanks in advance!
-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi