U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 09:58 PM

42 posts, read 132,069 times

Advertisements

my husband & I are probably moving to CC soon from Wichita, KS - we moved to KS April 1 from Boston, MA. We are only moving bc he got a permanent job offer at the naval base, moved to KS for a temp job at the air force base.. before MA we were in eastern WA.. So as much as I hate packing everything up and moving again, at least we're only 13hrs away and not three days ... and its a permanent job, so we wont "have" to move again without planning it

We will probably have to do what we did moving here.. rent a truck, fill it up, and find a place to rent / move in before we have to return said truck my head hurts just thinking about it.. Can't we just live in the truck?! LOL are there a good amount of homes for rent? or would we be most likely to have to surrender to an apartment complex? anyone know of an apartment complex that's pet friendly without a weight limit? we have two small dogs and one big dog, don't want to give the big dog up, he's the sense of 'safety' in the home.. they're all super well behaved, don't scratch, chew, pee, poop, whatever else bad dog owners have they're dogs doing to make people not want dogs in they're rentals

after being in the middle of nowhere for three months, we can't get to the ocean fast enough.. is the water nice and swim-able? (I can't wait to see PALM TREES everyday! ) hows the weather? humidity (is it comparable to FL or CA)? I've also stayed in Myrtle Beach for a while & always wanted to move there
*don't forget we're, originally from MA & used to the ocean being 58 degrees and so cloudy you can barely see your toes in knee deep water * we also had about 73" of snow over the winter, its so humid in the summer the stuff in the fridge sweats, and it rains about 20 days out of each month..

sorry for the billion questions, but other threads I was reading started just being negative nancy's about living in CC.. and my mom is insisting its disgustingly hot - but I think she's just jealous it was 57 in MA a couple of days ago, LOL! its already hit 105 here in Wichita.. rather be hot than cold 10 months a year!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 08:39 AM

16,761 posts, read 42,427,540 times
It is not really disgustingly hot, but it is humid, the fairly consistent breeze helps make it tolerable. Average monthly temperatures range from a low of 48 in January to a high of 94 in August. You can see more weather information at the links below.

Is your husband going to be at the Navy base on the NE side of the Bay you will probably want to look at Portland. There is also a Naval Air Station on the SW side of the bay?

A lot of people say really good things about living in Portland. It is on the North side of the bay and closer to the Navy base than Corpus. Portland has a very low crime rate, low poverty rate.

Trying to find a rental with a large dog could be limiting, but there are several other communities close to the base. Aransas Pass to the Northeast, Ingleside is immediately adjacent, Ingleside at the Bay is a small coastal subdivision with a marina just SW of the base, it looks like a nice place to live. Bahia Marina & Docks Store - Ingleside, TX- Home Page Ingleside also has low crime, poverty and unemployment rates.

You can learn a lot about any of these places on the City-Data demographics pages:

//www.city-data.com/city/Texas.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Corpus-Christi-Texas.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Portland-Texas.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Ingleside-Texas.html

The water along the gulf coast is not clear like Florida, but most people don't hesitate to swim in it or the bay.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:15 AM

thanks! I'm used to the ocean being a dark greenish/blue and FREEZING, plus after being in the MIDDLE of the country for a couple months, i'll take ANY ocean that isn't made of a corn field! hehe oops, he got a job at the naval air station the base said they will help in pointing us towards the good/safe locations for they're civilian workers (so we'll also be near other guys he'd be working with etc.) he's a firefighter and works 24hr + shifts so that's why I got a big dog, so I'm not alone with two little 5 pounders hiding behind me if they hear something outside

Old 06-16-2011, 03:45 PM

287 posts, read 475,041 times
When I was looking for rentals, I actually had the most luck with zillow, trulia, and hotpads.
Then I basically contacted each house I was interested in, and asked if they would accept pets (if it wasn't listed, and most weren't). It worked just fine for me. Just took a day or so of looking (after I had a realtor looking for more than a month).
Most places don't start let you hold a place more than a month, so you'll have to wait until you're closer to getting there to look for houses. The big apartment complexes usually have plenty of places any given month and will happily let you rent earlier.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:06 AM

Thanks, I'll have to check out those sites.. we won't start calling places until we get in the area (same as we did when we got to Wichita). we'll probably have the moving truck for a week again, so hopefully we'll find a place before the truck is due back luckily we have two dogs around 5lbs, both are potty trained to either go outside or in they're "poop house" (puppy pads in a kennel) they don't bark or chew anything - so they're VERY good dogs. Thats how we managed to find/rent the home we're in now without a pet deposit etc.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 6,892 times
Default Corpus weather

hows the weather? humidity (is it comparable to FL or CA)? I've also stayed in Myrtle Beach for a while & always wanted to move there

I've lived in Corpus for about 3/4 of my life, so I have a good feel for the weather there. Yes, it is terribly humid. I mean, super humid most of the year. You get used to it, to a point but you are always aware of it. The good part is that you are next to the water, so you get a nice breeze most of the time. I've been in Houston a lot and they have very high humidity also, but there is no breeze to speak of, so it seems worse in Houston. I've been in Southern California and the weather is MUCH better than in South Texas. As far as Florida, I have never been..... but I've known people who went from Corpus to visit Florida and they come back saying that they will never complain about the weather in Corpus after that because there is so much swamp land in Florida.

Other than the weather, Corpus Christi is a nice place to live. Honestly, I just couldn't take the humidity anymore.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:12 PM

16 posts, read 52,286 times
Florida is "paradise" compared to South Texas (I'd rather be here). Just compare the population density, rainfall (and pattern), etc. This is humid desert, by definition. One needs to be quite careful about the heat because 95F is deceptive compared to places farther north or west.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,516 times
Default friendly but backward

I have lived here for 13 years. It is a friendly place but if you are not hispanic or white or just look" exotic" you get stared at alot and asked inappropriate questions. Everyone therefore will scrutinize you wherever you go or even when you walk down the street These people here are overly curious about you if you or not hispanic or white. These people are not used to diversity so I am a big source of fascination that I'm not quite used to. Very baffling to be observed constantly as i am really very normal and low key. Otherwise it is a very friendly place almost too friendly. If you are a reserved or private person it takes getting used to, there is not much privacy, the same clients you deal with at work may be your doctor or dentist or optometrist or cashier at the grocery store so beware. Also the job situation is not good,low pay, only service jobs or oil refineries. Property taxes are high, weather usually too hot, humid and prone to drought.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:21 PM

553 posts, read 838,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemakes View Post
I have lived here for 13 years. It is a friendly place but if you are not hispanic or white or just look" exotic" you get stared at alot and asked inappropriate questions. Everyone therefore will scrutinize you wherever you go or even when you walk down the street These people here are overly curious about you if you or not hispanic or white. These people are not used to diversity so I am a big source of fascination that I'm not quite used to. Very baffling to be observed constantly as i am really very normal and low key. Otherwise it is a very friendly place almost too friendly. If you are a reserved or private person it takes getting used to, there is not much privacy, the same clients you deal with at work may be your doctor or dentist or optometrist or cashier at the grocery store so beware. Also the job situation is not good,low pay, only service jobs or oil refineries. Property taxes are high, weather usually too hot, humid and prone to drought.
An intriguing first post, Shemakes. You responded to a very old thread, which you may not have realized, not that it matters, it's still spot on. I'm new here also and still trying to figure things out. You encapsulated, in a nutshell, the current world issues of personal privacy and familiarity, in modern times, at the street level.

These issues are always with us, in all walks of life, they just vary in degree and subtleties. Fortunately, there are some highly refined avoidance techniques you can acquire. Modern life is a camera now. I remind myself every time I walk out the door, I'm on camera. I have cameras in both vehicles plus my phone. We must assume, anticipate, and acknowledge that if we are in public we are “on.” It is expected, our existence is in the public domain now.

I could ramble on, at some, length with amusing and illuminating anecdotes I've encountered with over familiarity from around the globe. Sometimes, different cultures/places interpret “inappropriate” differently.

Then again, the is a slow forum, I've considered the bandwidth I'm using. I'll step off the soapbox for the next poster. . .with a quizzical raised eyebrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi