Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:38 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times

Advertisements

Why does CC area that is on the beach have such lousy seafood restaurants. Please excuse Water Street Oyster Bar from this discussion. This is the biggest mystery to me and my guest who visit a city by the sea. Maybe they need to hire a Louisiana or Galveston chef to show them how it is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 08:40 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Why does CC area that is on the beach have such lousy seafood restaurants. Please excuse Water Street Oyster Bar from this discussion. This is the biggest mystery to me and my guest who visit a city by the sea. Maybe they need to hire a Louisiana or Galveston chef to show them how it is done.
Good Question. I always remembered the first time that my family (1970s) took me to the Kings Inn (Rivera, I think). They served big shrimp, frog legs, etc. It was delicious but well worth the drive. I used to buss tables at Black Diamond Oyster Bar on Rodd Field Rd in 1979-80. That was some very good seafood too. Of course, that was a long time ago.
Do you think that Water St Oyster Bar is good? They seem Ok to me, but I wouldn't "write home" about it.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:46 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
I guess Rockport has the only decent seafood restaurants in the area.

San Diego
LA
SF
Houston
Galveston
Lake Charles
Baton Rouge
New Orleans
Pensacola
Tampa
Baltimore

Great seafood cities

Corpus Christi, the worst that I have ever seen on the sea.

G

Old 01-03-2011, 11:59 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
I have not eaten at that many seafood restaurants in Corpus, I would be surprised if there are no decent ones. And I'm not an expert on seafood by any means, but the shrimp we have had at Snoopy's Pier was as good as any we had in Rockport.

We have had several excellent dishes at the Crab-N Restaurant between Aransas Pass and Rockport. Their pecan crusted crab cakes were excellent.

Crab-N Restaurant‎
210 Gulfgate Blvd.
Aransas Pass, TX 78336
(361) 758-2371

Someone once recommended the Big Fishermen in Rockport to us. We thought it was horrible. Pretty much all fried foods served in a cigarette smoke filled atmosphere. We never went back.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:58 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
I only eat seafood from the ocean when I go back to the Cape, Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket. I wouldn't trust anything from the Gulf anyway. Lobster always looked limp, even before the oil spill. On the other hand, I refuse to eat Mexican north of San Antonio. I am obnoxious. I know.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:52 PM

404 posts, read 1,245,267 times
We were in Corpus in October (beautiful weather, clear water...A Perfect Week!) and really didn't know where to go for good seafood either.

I sure remember Kings Inn and also the days of Ship Ahoy which was delicious - gigantic golden fried shrimp and onion rings. Lived right across the street from the one on Ocean Drive and I noticed it looked like the structure was still there after all these years. Ironically, I also lived downtown at the La Posada and right next door was the other Ship Ahoy - those were the hungry years when I could rarely afford to go.

Most would agree that gulf lobster is a totally different ballgame from the east and few restaurants here (especially fine dining) serve it but I have to say I've had the very best flounder and red snapper right from the Texas gulf, most recently 2 weeks ago at a dive in San Leon...f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c!

Old 01-04-2011, 03:56 PM
SOM

124 posts, read 481,133 times
I agree, CC is oddly dissapointing when it comes to seafood. My recent favorite was actually Sea Island Shrimp House, which is now a vitamin store. Water Street is OK, but not the simple seafood that we should have in abundance. Catfish Charlie's is hit-or-miss. Big Fisherman is terrible. Snoopy's is ok. There's a place around Morgan and Baldwin called King Seafood that is not too bad, and very cheap. All in all, though, I would expect a LOT more being right on the Gulf. We oughta have a bunch of funky seafood dives....like....JOE'S CRAB SHACK!!! Ha.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:46 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanon View Post
We were in Corpus in October (beautiful weather, clear water...A Perfect Week!) and really didn't know where to go for good seafood either.

I sure remember Kings Inn and also the days of Ship Ahoy which was delicious - gigantic golden fried shrimp and onion rings. Lived right across the street from the one on Ocean Drive and I noticed it looked like the structure was still there after all these years. Ironically, I also lived downtown at the La Posada and right next door was the other Ship Ahoy - those were the hungry years when I could rarely afford to go.

Most would agree that gulf lobster is a totally different ballgame from the east and few restaurants here (especially fine dining) serve it but I have to say I've had the very best flounder and red snapper right from the Texas gulf, most recently 2 weeks ago at a dive in San Leon...f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c!
Is "Kings Inn" gone? I remember that Ship Ahoy on the Bay is where my family would go for special occasions. I miss it too.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:43 PM

404 posts, read 1,245,267 times
King's Inn is still there, I think. Had we had a little more time, we would have driven over for dinner. It was always special for us too.

Don't think it can qualify for "real" seafood but my favorite afternoon while we were there was spent on the beach enjoying a picnic with tuna sandwiches, ha. The simple life is good!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:30 AM

484 posts, read 1,631,815 times
Has anybody mentioned the "Yardarm" on Ocean Dr.? The several times we've eaten there the seafood was pretty good. I think we were disappointed only once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi