U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 05:34 AM

2 posts, read 5,106 times

Advertisements

My husband as accepted a job in Corpus Christi, so will be moving no later than January of 2012. Can anyone tell me some recent information about living in Corpus Christi? We have two children, one is going to be a sophomore in high school, and one will be in the third grade. The older one is very active in the marching band, so if one high school has a stronger marching band that would help the transition for him. Our number one concern however is academics. I've visited once and looked at homes on the southside. We are moving from Tennessee. Any information--the good, the bad, and the in between is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 11:19 PM

3 posts, read 6,888 times
I'm in my 40's and have lived in Corpus Christi about 25 of those years. I grew up and went to high school there. Right off the bat, the worst thing is the weather. I hope you like it hot and very very humid, because that's what it's like about 10 months out of the year. I would say that it averages about 70% humidity most of the time. Don't get me wrong, there are some beautiful days and sometimes the weather is great, but most of the time it's super muggy. There are many days that you wake up and the humidity is much higher than the actual temperature. To be honest, I couldn't wait to leave, mostly because of the weather. I like drier weather with some mountains and maybe some snow, but that's just me.

On the other hand, Corpus Christi is a pretty nice place to live if you can stand the weather. The taxes are relatively low and the size of the town is just right (about 250,000), as far as I'm concerned. The traffic isn't that bad, unless it's rush hour or the holidays. If you like the beach and are a person who boats or surfs, you will be in heaven. There are several hospitals and all the usual businesses a mid-size city would have.

It's been a while, obviously, but high school was a good time for me. There are 5 large high schools, but they really need a 6th. For your children, the bands are okay in South Texas... not great, but okay.
There is Texas A&M University and Del Mar College for higher education. Del Mar College is very affordable, but TAMUCC is pretty pricey from what I know. The TAMUCC campus is really pretty and next to the water.

The community is largely Hispanic, but there is a good mix, I think. The political feel is kind of Democrat but there is a large conservative Republican population as well. Honestly, I think it's about half and half.

That's about all I can think of for the moment. If I think of anything else, or you have specific questions please post here and I'll see if I can answer them for you.

Good luck!

Old 07-14-2011, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,649 times
The best school districts in the CC area are Flour Bluff, Gregory Portland, and Calallen. Corpus school are not that great. If you do find your self in CC, King and Ray are the top two high schools.

Personally, we have a 3 year old (we've lived here off and on for 10+ years) and we're looking to move to Portland. Great schools and a really nice little community. Good luck!

Old 07-14-2011, 03:24 PM

16,760 posts, read 42,403,049 times
@ wiscowoman; If that is related to Wisconson

From what I understand, the humidity is already very high in Wisconson. Corpus is higher in the afternoons, but will be much warmer and rarely ever, every gets snow. No more driving in snow, no more shoveling snow, or scraping show and ice off of your windshield. Kids and adults can play out doors all year round. Speaking as someone who grew up in the cold snowy north, you are going to love the change in weather down south, most of the time.

You definitely will be missing out on one of the great opportunities of living in the Corpus area if you don't get a boat, or at least rent one occasionally. The secret to enjoying living down here in the summer is getting involved in water sports.

I have spent a lot of time visiting the Corpus area and have generally found it to have an easy going relaxed vibe. Except during rush hour. Fortunately few people have to commute very far or long in rush hour traffic.

There are some nice photos and lots more demographic information about the Corpus area here: //www.city-data.com/city/Corpus-Christi-Texas.html

In regard to the racial mix...

Last edited by CptnRn; 07-14-2011 at 03:39 PM..

Old 08-30-2011, 06:53 AM

2 posts, read 5,106 times
Thank you all for the information. It's been a while since I checked this page. Lots of stuff going on. Yes, I'm originally from Wisconsin, but I've really become a fan of warm weather. I like to visit the snow, but I don't like to reciprocate the invitation (LOL)--we go snow boarding every winter, but we travel for it. We do aleady do a lot of watersports and outdoor activities - camping, wake boarding, wake surfing, biking, running. My husband's job will be on the Southside, so I've been looking at King.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi