U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 01:47 PM

12 posts, read 21,308 times

Advertisements

want to move to portland tx doing my on line reseach 1 question is are there any bad parts in portland to not buy a house in.....my wife will work in portland i will be working at VW dealership in cctx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 05:17 PM

16,760 posts, read 42,363,498 times
It is a pretty small area, in general I've mostly heard only good things about Portland. I do not live there. I would avoid anything next to the highway, major transportation arteries like that usually have higher crime then areas further away from them. But in general the area has very low crime rates. //www.city-data.com/city/Portland-Texas.html

Old 12-25-2011, 06:23 PM

Default thanks cptnrn

been thinking about moving for a couple years to this area and been reading your post about portland and CCTX so thanks again....

Old 12-25-2011, 06:37 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,601,097 times
I live in Portland, have been here for the last 2 and a half years. Really like the city. It is a growing city, as it is centrally located, and along a major highway (181). Currently, Portland has just under 20,000 residents. Being that we are just 5-7 minutes from downtown Corpus, and up on a Bluff, it is a desirable area to be in. Especially with the Port expansion, and the industry building up along 361.

The best parts of Portland generally are in the northern and eastern sections of the city. The far western parts of Portland are generally the oldest and poorest areas, although really all parts of the city are low crime and pretty decent. The Northshore area is generally the wealthiest end of town, with the Northshore Country Club.

Business is good here, with new restaurants opening up in the past few months (IHOP, Little Caesars, K-Bob's, Pepitoes, and a steak house), and we have decent shopping here too (HEB, Walmart, K-Mart, Bealls, and a new strip mall that is filling up with tenants). There is alot of activities here as well (Windfest comes to mind), and the small town atmosphere is really nice.

If you have any questions, ask away! I will be glad to help where I can!

Ian

Old 12-25-2011, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,129 times
Default Clifford50

I was born in Corpus Christi an lived ther from 1953 to 1988 I left because of the number of people crowding in for the tropical weather and fun in the sun. If you like large cities with all of the aminities thus is the area, but not as over done as Houston. Portland is a bedroom community to CC
meaning many people live in Portland and work in CC. As a child I watched as Portland grew with Golf Courses and the large expensive homes were built, but still has a large middle class area also. with very little run down
areas, or poverty stricken neighborhoods, I would say more home owners than renters. I now live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia near WV TN and NC with a defenate change of season. but may one day return to CC to stay.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:43 AM

thanks again guys for the info ....txsizzler ive been reading your past post for awhile now and would love to touch base with you every now and then ,, took the wife out there this past july and she fell in love with portland we are both from the chicagoland area but have lived in albuquerque nm for almost 5 years looking for that last move before we get to old to enjoy it we are 50 yrs old with my mother in mcallen tx 3 hrs south getting up in age wife lived in houston for 17 yrs so we know about humidty and heat my biggest thing is about the economy since im a carsalesman im also a truckdriver cdl a tanker class x putting my house up for sales after the newyears TXSIZZLER do you still drive a truck ?? taxes look a little high how do they conpare to CCTX ?? high taxes less crime right //

Old 12-26-2011, 09:16 AM

No, I do not drive truck anymore. Did that about 11 years ago, up in N. Texas. I now work in the Corpus Christi area. From what I have seen, taxes in Portland (San Patricio County) are less than what you will pay in Nueces, but not by a significant amount. For my home (I live off of Wildcat, in a subdivision near TM Clark school), which is valued at $160k, I pay about $2900/yr in taxes. You can also get a homesteaders tax break, which helps alot. Also, I believe once you hit 65, you are exempt... but, that is something I would have to research more.

Trucking opportunites are VAST right now in the Corpus Christi area, as there is a large amount of oil operations to the north and west of here, plus along with the refineries in Corpus, there is an unending amount of trucking jobs available. I see the VW car dealership commercial all the time (that guy who owns it has a very interesting way of doing commercials!), and there is alot of dealerships that hire. There are 2 big car dealers in Portland (Taggart Motors, and Al Willeford Chevrolet), that are right next to one another on the access road off of Hwy 181 South. We bought our last car (2007 Chevy HHR) from Taggart. They are very good to do business with, and the employees that work there seem to be pretty happy.

What kind of work is your wife going to do here in Portland? Are you looking to buy, or rent here? If you need more info, let me know!

Ian

Old 12-26-2011, 10:05 AM

16,760 posts, read 42,363,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
You can also get a homesteaders tax break, which helps alot. Also, I believe once you hit 65, you are exempt... but, that is something I would have to research more.
You are not exempt, you can request a deferral, which makes the taxes owed a lien against the property. You will be charged 8% interest per year on the deffered amount. So by the time you pass away or if you want to sell the house when you are elderly, you may not have much equity left in it.

Quote:
Nueces County - Tax Assessor-Collector
Age 65 or Older can be taken in addition to homestead exemption on residence. Homeowners over the age of 65 may also arrange for a Tax affidavit Deferral. You may choose to defer the collection of delinquent taxes if you own and occupy your residence; however, a tax lien remains on the property and interest of 8% a year continues to accrue.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the clarification, CptnRn. I wonder if San Patricio is the same way with the deferred interest .

Ian

Old 12-27-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
No, I do not drive truck anymore. Did that about 11 years ago, up in N. Texas. I now work in the Corpus Christi area. From what I have seen, taxes in Portland (San Patricio County) are less than what you will pay in Nueces, but not by a significant amount. For my home (I live off of Wildcat, in a subdivision near TM Clark school), which is valued at $160k, I pay about $2900/yr in taxes. You can also get a homesteaders tax break, which helps alot. Also, I believe once you hit 65, you are exempt... but, that is something I would have to research more.

Trucking opportunites are VAST right now in the Corpus Christi area, as there is a large amount of oil operations to the north and west of here, plus along with the refineries in Corpus, there is an unending amount of trucking jobs available. I see the VW car dealership commercial all the time (that guy who owns it has a very interesting way of doing commercials!), and there is alot of dealerships that hire. There are 2 big car dealers in Portland (Taggart Motors, and Al Willeford Chevrolet), that are right next to one another on the access road off of Hwy 181 South. We bought our last car (2007 Chevy HHR) from Taggart. They are very good to do business with, and the employees that work there seem to be pretty happy.

What kind of work is your wife going to do here in Portland? Are you looking to buy, or rent here? If you need more info, let me know!

Ian
My wife is a office worker employed at a doctors office now and we will be buying probally after renting for 6 mos..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi