U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2012, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Somewhere between Corpus and Austin, TX
136 posts, read 304,712 times
Reputation: 60

Advertisements

[quote=lowviolette;22873486]
Quote:
Originally Posted by no cigar View Post
right...because Austin has no "barrio-like" environments.. wouldnt it be a little more fair to compare Austin and Houston to cities like San Fransico, Chicago, or San Diego??? see where i am going with this? as good as your think Austin and Houston are, there are cities their size that are way better...well at least IMO. if you want to compare other cities to CC that are similar in size, it would be Laredo, Lubbock, and anything in the 300k population range. as you can see, CC has those two cities covered by far.

also, comparing and saying Victoria is better than CC is just silly...period.
Actually, seeing as how people from just about every single one of those major metro areas are lining up to live in Austin I think it compares very favorably. It's probably the thing I dislike the most about it, but it's a fact. 75% of the people I talk to on a daily basis are not from here and have been here < 5 years. People in Corpus flee like a hurricane evacuation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2012, 07:20 PM
 
135 posts, read 443,494 times
Reputation: 127
"Flee like a hurricane evacuation"???? couldnt tell by the increase this last census, but i wish it were the case because i wouldnt want CC to be anything like austin...which grew too fast for its own good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2012, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Somewhere between Corpus and Austin, TX
136 posts, read 304,712 times
Reputation: 60
True there are negative aspects to every town. And being from Austin originally, there are more than a few bones to pick here.

BUT

People in Corpus use the same excuse of not wanting to be like [insert more prosperous city here], even when explaining why the town is so old (and not in a classy way) and decrepit. Okay, Corpus doesn't want a mass influx of people to overwhelm infrastructure and cause overcrowding, great -- but when Corpus refuses to even bring itself up to speed with the rest of the free world, there is a serious problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2012, 04:31 PM
 
135 posts, read 443,494 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by no cigar View Post
True there are negative aspects to every town. And being from Austin originally, there are more than a few bones to pick here.

BUT

People in Corpus use the same excuse of not wanting to be like [insert more prosperous city here], even when explaining why the town is so old (and not in a classy way) and decrepit. Okay, Corpus doesn't want a mass influx of people to overwhelm infrastructure and cause overcrowding, great -- but when Corpus refuses to even bring itself up to speed with the rest of the free world, there is a serious problem.
you obviously have not lived in other cities besides Austin and CC...try living along the border and you would think CC is heaven. i am content with CC not being as prosperous as Austin and being old and decrepit, guess it beats pretentous and overbearing...and thats why i love CC, its true to what it is not trying to be something its not...unlike Austin

Last edited by lowviolette; 02-08-2012 at 04:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2012, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Somewhere between Corpus and Austin, TX
136 posts, read 304,712 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
you obviously have not lived in other cities besides Austin and CC...try living along the border and you would think CC is heaven. i am content with CC not being as prosperous as Austin and being old and decrepit, guess it beats pretentous and overbearing...and thats why i love CC, its true to what it is not trying to be something its not...unlike Austin
And that is exactly what is wrong with Corpus. Believe me there is a whole world of improvement Corpus could make before it's anywhere near the same galaxy as "pretentious and overbearing".... Tell me, have you lived along the border/Corpus your entire life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2012, 08:32 PM
 
135 posts, read 443,494 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by no cigar View Post
And that is exactly what is wrong with Corpus. Believe me there is a whole world of improvement Corpus could make before it's anywhere near the same galaxy as "pretentious and overbearing".... Tell me, have you lived along the border/Corpus your entire life?
I have lived in L.A, DFW, Laredo, Monterrey(Mexico) and CC.. Out of those places, i loved CC the most, even though it wasnt the greatest. i couldnt bear living in Laredo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2012, 09:13 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,884 times
Reputation: 18
I grew up in Corpus in the 70's and 80's and moved away as soon as I graduated high school. I came back a few years ago and it was the same old Corpus. There was trash blowing all over the roads, the zoning was non-existent, and the city just looked run down. I guess there just isn't any money there. I have a ton of good memories there but when I moved to DFW I couldn't believe all the landscaping and its nice appearance. Corpus just doesn't appear clean. I wouldn't mind living on the island however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2012, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Corpus Christi
484 posts, read 1,413,342 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
I wouldn't mind living on the island however.
Yes, but Island real estate tends to be pricey.

You mentioned zoning,,, Amen, Brother! However Houston is even worse. You can see very nice houses in some neighborhoods and sitting next door are trailers. Screwed up to say the least. I think this is what gave rise to the Home Owners Associations, my friends in Houston call them the "house Nazis" because of the way they enforce the neighborhood rules.

In that light, CC ain't too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top