Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 04:02 PM

97 posts, read 199,412 times

Advertisements

Ok...I lived in Austin for a while...then moved to Savannah GA.But I think Texas got my heart.I am thinking about moving to corpus.
I like to know how about...
gnats...(problem in savannah)
weather...
jobs...
average places to live in corpus..
tv and internet provider...
thanks in advance...I REALY MISS TEXAS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 10:16 PM

26 posts, read 52,913 times
Corpus sucks. I've lived in many states, all over the country, and Corpus/Brownsville is by far the worst place I have ever lived. I will be exiting the second I graduate school.
gnats...I don't know about everywhere, but I have a horse, and it's pretty much impossible to go for a ride through the fields without getting eaten alive so bad you have to gallop to outrun them. There are chiggers everywhere. I can't wear shorts or sandals outside without getting nasty itchy red bumps all over. And the fire ants.
weather...SUCKS. I don't mind high heat (I can tolerate 100 in dry heat without batting an eye) but the humidity is murderous. Your hair will be frizzy. You think it will cool down when the rain comes, but it just makes things worse. We have been in drought of course so any rain was welcome. It seems to be really varied this winter. Every other day seems to fluxuate between very warm and very cool. You never know what to wear!
jobs...can't really tell you much about that one
average places to live in corpus..most neighborhoods are crummy, low income drug dealers. Stray animals/pitbulls everywhere. And it's so overpriced it's not even funny. There are nice neighborhoods but they are few and small, smooshed in between not so nice neighborhoods.
tv and internet provider...can't help ya there

That and this is an incredibly BORING town. I mean, it's great if you like the beach, Padre Island is a pretty quiet beach. But there's nothing to actually do on the island. They even charge you money to walk on the pier. The only good points are that it's the right sized town, lots of convenience, everything is literally 15 min from one end of town to the other, and the traffic on the hwy isn't bad (although it sucks everywhere else, people here are the WORST drivers I've ever seen). I heard it best described that Corpus got stuck in the 80's. There's no changes, no forward progression. It has the potential to be a great city, but they won't do anything to change it. The Texas State Aquarium is really nice, but very small. The Lexington is fun, but only once. There are a couple of gorgeous water fountain parks downtown, and they light up the big bridge for Xmas which is pretty amazing. Otherwise, this town is a deadzone.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:32 PM

97 posts, read 199,412 times
thanks for the info...

Old 01-19-2012, 11:31 AM

19 posts, read 52,752 times
I spent most of my life here and I love it! Though I guess that isn't saying much; I am only twenty years old.

Gnats - In the entire time I've lived here, I've only had a gnat problem in the downtown office that I started working at last July. It was just after an office on our floor got flooded (and I do mean flooded), so that may have had something to do with it.

Weather - Very windy and in the summer very hot. Not much rain lately. It's a matter of personal preference really. No place is without some kind of weather annoyance. If you're like me and you're a total weenie in the cold, then Corpus weather is for you! If you love the cold and can not stand the heat, then maybe someplace else is better. I love the weather here!

I can't really comment on jobs or average places to live. My current living situation just kind of fell into my lap! As for cable and internet providers, I have not yet been able to afford such a thing, but I can tell you that I do not know one single person who is happy with their service, no matter what it is. They're all going to bone you, I guess the best you can do is ask around and find out how.

As for fun, well I find plenty to do. There are two shopping malls. One is very nice; it's gorgeous, there's valet parking, plenty of thriving shops, and a great food court. The other is in bad shape. It's virtually empty. It does have a decent dollar theater and some kind of glow in the dark mini golf going for it though. It's fun to pop in every now and then and see the latest attempt to liven up the place. I swear there were Elvis impersonators once! As was mentioned earlier there's beaches, the aquarium and the Lexington, horse riding, a go-kart/bumper boats/minigolf/arcade place in the Flour Bluff area (though only the go-karts are worth the trip if you ask me), two playhouses, a couple of movie theaters, that kind of thing. There's a terrible lack of advertisement for local events in the city. If you like wind sports or sailing, this is definitely the place. There's talk of adding a couple of water parks.

I agree with the above poster that this city has a lot of unused potential!

Old 01-19-2012, 02:43 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstar898 View Post
Corpus sucks. I've lived in many states, all over the country, and Corpus/Brownsville is by far the worst place I have ever lived. I will be exiting the second I graduate school.
That is one of the most narrow minded posts that I have seen on Corpus. Brownsville is 161 miles from Corpus, there is no such thing as Corpus/Brownsville.

North and South Padre Island, Port Aransas and the beaches have all of the usual things that most people do when they go to the seashore. Fishing, boating, shelling, bird watching, walking on the beach, swimming, playing in the surf. Granted they do not have an amusement park, its not Coney Island.

It is true that there is nothing in Corpus that compares to places like Austin's 6th Street or the West End in Dallas. But Corpus has more to offer then most similar sized towns in the rest of the US. In my opinion to really take advantage of what the Corpus are has to offer, you really need to get involved in boating, it offers up so many more alternatives to you for recreation and adventure, with all the miles of bays and the inter-coastal canal. We never lived in Corpus but we kept a sailboat in the are for years so we could take advantage of the mild weather and outdoor activities that the area offered.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:33 PM

19 posts, read 52,752 times
Another note on the weather: I work downtown by the bay and it is currently 85 degrees. On January 20th!

Old 01-20-2012, 04:52 PM

135 posts, read 499,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstar898 View Post
gnats...I don't know about everywhere, but I have a horse, and it's pretty much impossible to go for a ride through the fields without getting eaten alive so bad you have to gallop to outrun them. There are chiggers everywhere. I can't wear shorts or sandals outside without getting nasty itchy red bumps all over. And the fire ants.
weather...SUCKS. I don't mind high heat (I can tolerate 100 in dry heat without batting an eye) but the humidity is murderous. Your hair will be frizzy. You think it will cool down when the rain comes, but it just makes things worse. We have been in drought of course so any rain was welcome. It seems to be really varied this winter. Every other day seems to fluxuate between very warm and very cool. You never know what to wear!
jobs...can't really tell you much about that one
average places to live in corpus..most neighborhoods are crummy, low income drug dealers. Stray animals/pitbulls everywhere. And it's so overpriced it's not even funny. There are nice neighborhoods but they are few and small, smooshed in between not so nice neighborhoods.
tv and internet provider...can't help ya there

That and this is an incredibly BORING town. I mean, it's great if you like the beach, Padre Island is a pretty quiet beach. But there's nothing to actually do on the island. They even charge you money to walk on the pier. The only good points are that it's the right sized town, lots of convenience, everything is literally 15 min from one end of town to the other, and the traffic on the hwy isn't bad (although it sucks everywhere else, people here are the WORST drivers I've ever seen). I heard it best described that Corpus got stuck in the 80's. There's no changes, no forward progression. It has the potential to be a great city, but they won't do anything to change it. The Texas State Aquarium is really nice, but very small. The Lexington is fun, but only once. There are a couple of gorgeous water fountain parks downtown, and they light up the big bridge for Xmas which is pretty amazing. Otherwise, this town is a deadzone.
you must be outta your mind; there is a reason CC is one of the most visited places in Texas. Its one of the most beautiful cities in texas. it has plenty to do, you must just be a miserable person. no offense, but i cant wait until you leave either, hopefully you can be happy elsewhere. i lived in laredo for a while and was looking forward to getting back to CC.

its just like any other place..has its nice & bad sides. but you will be hard pressed to beat its natural beauty. its has all the things you need; laid back living without big city worries.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:42 PM

136 posts, read 336,900 times
[quote=lowviolette;22636424]you must be outta your mind; there is a reason CC is one of the most visited places in Texas....

Visited. Not lived.

Corpus is horrendous. Lived there for a total of 7 years and the only thing that made it relatively tolerable was that I managed to accumulate good friends to do things with. One word. Mediocrity. Sure, there are progressive, active glass-half-full'ers that have inspired a lot of new places and events. To me, it is all still horribly inadequate compared to what one can do in a place like Austin or Houston. Sure, they are much bigger towns and it can be a bit unfair to compare the two, but in terms of sheer potential corpus is horribly under utilizing it. Harsh reality is that 3/4 of the people that live there are complacent with the barrio-like environment. Not by choice either. Most are 'stuck' without the means to make it anywhere else.

You don't have the supply of young, vibrant, professional, forward thinkers to sustain those type of developments that make a place seem new and interesting. In Corpus, you get things like PF Changs, that give the yokels the illusion that they have finally hit the big time... There are lines around the block for weeks and all the mickey mouse news stations make it their top story. I have since moved back to Austin, and all the friends I had have also moved away as well.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:44 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,664 times
Yeah I myself have never been impressed with the city. I grew up in Victoria and if I had
To choose one it would be Victoria.

Corpus is run down. Not a thriving city.There's a few areas worth going to like the few touristy areas and hanging out along shoreline. The rest of the city is an eye sore with as some have said no motivation to really progress the city.

The one poster saying they enjoyed corpus was a little amusing. What's so awesome about a mall, theatres, go carts and restaurants? All cities even towns have that.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:48 PM

135 posts, read 499,022 times
[quote=no cigar;22863013]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowviolette View Post
you must be outta your mind; there is a reason CC is one of the most visited places in Texas....

Visited. Not lived.

Corpus is horrendous. Lived there for a total of 7 years and the only thing that made it relatively tolerable was that I managed to accumulate good friends to do things with. One word. Mediocrity. Sure, there are progressive, active glass-half-full'ers that have inspired a lot of new places and events. To me, it is all still horribly inadequate compared to what one can do in a place like Austin or Houston. Sure, they are much bigger towns and it can be a bit unfair to compare the two, but in terms of sheer potential corpus is horribly under utilizing it. Harsh reality is that 3/4 of the people that live there are complacent with the barrio-like environment. Not by choice either. Most are 'stuck' without the means to make it anywhere else.

You don't have the supply of young, vibrant, professional, forward thinkers to sustain those type of developments that make a place seem new and interesting. In Corpus, you get things like PF Changs, that give the yokels the illusion that they have finally hit the big time... There are lines around the block for weeks and all the mickey mouse news stations make it their top story. I have since moved back to Austin, and all the friends I had have also moved away as well.
right...because Austin has no "barrio-like" environments.. wouldnt it be a little more fair to compare Austin and Houston to cities like San Fransico, Chicago, or San Diego??? see where i am going with this? as good as your think Austin and Houston are, there are cities their size that are way better...well at least IMO. if you want to compare other cities to CC that are similar in size, it would be Laredo, Lubbock, and anything in the 300k population range. as you can see, CC has those two cities covered by far.

also, comparing and saying Victoria is better than CC is just silly...period.

Last edited by lowviolette; 02-06-2012 at 06:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi