U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 11:14 AM

1,367 posts, read 1,839,542 times

Advertisements

First of all,

I've never been to Texas.

Second of all, Weslaco is about an hour from SOUTH PADRE ISLAND....that sounds nice.

But my question is, how is this whole area south of corpus christi? If you had to work in Weslaco, where would you live (assuming you wanna be close to the beach)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 08:48 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,409,994 times
You should try posting this in the general Texas forum. You'll get more responses.

In general though, Weslaco is very poor and very hot. I love South Padre Island and you might consider living in Harlingen to be closer to the beach and commuting to Weslaco. I think it would be about a 20 min. commute--maybe a little longer.

You should definitely read up on recent border issues such as drug violence. If you mind your own business you'll most likely be fine, but the Mexican border is literally right there and the drug dealers have been in a turf war for a couple of years. And you really should visit the area before you make up your mind, if you haven't already. Some people fall in love with it--some people want to run the other way. The RGV is not like any other place in the U.S.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:22 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,600,498 times
I agree with Marlow. I am not sure of the commute times, but Harlingen would be a much better place in my opinion to live than Weslaco. Especially with the beach access.

Keep your nose clean (literally), and you should be okay from the drug wars that are being seen south of the border. Its those folks who "dabble in the trade" that are generally the targets. Use common sense. Its just like any other gang ridden areas of normal cities, in many regards.

Ian

Old 01-14-2012, 07:32 PM

11 posts, read 84,385 times
Weslaco is in the mid Valley 25 minutes west of Harlingen, is a very nice and clean town of about 36,000 people in population. The Rio Grande Valley is growing so much the population is about 1.2 million it's surrounded by different cities largest being Brownsville and McAllen. I love the Valley its people and culture is not for everyone but for natives like us we love it. South Padre Island is beautiful and is close to Harlingen. The job market is pretty good a lot of job opportunities in the Magic Valley.
The drug violence is bad but like Marlow said mind your own business and you'll be fine. Come on down and visit you'll be surprise in a good way about the beautiful Rio Grande Valley, Texas.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:12 PM

2,919 posts, read 4,833,048 times
Weslaco is not a bad place, and you could live in either Harlingen or McAllen and have about a 20 minute commute either way. SWA flies into Harlingen, with American and Continental/United into McAllen. So it's not like you can't get out of the Valley when you like, LOL! As long as you have plenty of money, the RGV is ok. There are lots of shopping opportunities if you're so inclined. Some people complain that it's all strip malls and chains. If you've ever lived anywhere without strip malls and chains (and I have!), you will appreciate them! We're starting to get vibrant Farmers' Markets throughout the Valley--oddly enough, even though there are tons of produce grown in the region, most people just bought produce at the grocery store. So this is a positive change that's really taken off in the past year or two. The economy is also doing much better here--it never did get as bad as it did in other places anyway. Lots of new construction of homes and businesses. Bass Pro recently opened in HAR, and there is a Costco under construction in Pharr & a second Sam's Club in McAllen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi