Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:31 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
I think the way most folks here view Corpus, is more of an industrial city with mild resort ammenities. And I think the city leaders are pushing this trend. With the Port expansion, the industrial growth up in the Portland/Gregory/Ingleside areas, and just the general ties with the current industry that abounds, this will not change any time soon. Thankfully, we are getting a couple of water parks, and hopefully the city will push for more resort options in the downtown area, as well as on the Island.

Speaking of which on the topics of the streets, it was noted on KIII TV tonight that the city is in a $1 billion shortfall when it comes to repairing the streets. They are now allocating $55 million in the upcoming budget for the repairs to START. So, its going to be a looooong time before the street infrastructure gets up to par.

Ian
$1 Billion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 03:42 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
$1 Billion?
Yes, $1 billion.. you wouldn't BELIEVE how bad alot of the streets are here. The City Manager was wanting to bump the total to over $80 million a year for repairs, but right now its sitting at $55 million a year. I did a double take when they were reporting it as well.

Here are some links:

http://www.kiiitv.com/story/15790648...repair-project
http://www.kiiitv.com/story/16407823...-roads-in-2012

Ian

Old 01-30-2012, 11:46 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,664 times
yeah corpus and san diego have almost nothing in common other than theyre both next to water. san diegos landscape is incredible with rolling lush hills and mountains after you get away the water a little. some have posted this already but corpus could has the touch more to long beach, they both have a similar feel to each other. the weather is a lot nicer in lb though, plus better water, bigger waves, and cleaner.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:36 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I lived in Long Bch for a little over 5 years. Trust me when I say that those projects will "go ghetto" shortly after they're built. That neighborhood is not a good one and definitely not safe for senior citizens. They will have every illegal alien (mexican, russian, armenian) qualify for those apartments before ANY american born citizen can even think of living in such a gov't subsidized unit like that.

This is very true and all to common in the West Coast Cities. Senior Housing in the worst or next to the worst neighborhoods. Yes they will fill those units with everyone mentioned and then some. Leaving the person that is respectable and has worked all their life. The tenant that pays their rent on time. To live there with some form of fear and discomfort. Paying more for the rent than many of thier neighbors.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:12 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Corpus has many things going for it, but it does it does not compare favorably with almost any southern California coastal area as a resort destination. The weather is much hotter, far more humid, rains are heavier and more often, it has less clear sunny days. The coast is not nearly as scenic, the sand beaches are not as nice, the water is muddy in comparison and it has poor surfing.

While it is still possible to enjoy the beach around Corpus, it will never be on equal footing as a resort area.
What the Texas coast has the California lacks is an intercoastal waterway that runs the entire length of the coast behind the barrier islands. The ICW connects numerous bays and estuaries with hundreds of miles of unpopulated shores and protected waters that are great for power-boating and fishing, less so for sail boats which requires greater water depths, but there is still lots of navigable water.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:48 PM

19 posts, read 52,752 times
I think we have great potential. Hopefully the city has learned a valuable lesson about building roads from sand!

Old 03-27-2012, 10:43 AM

64 posts, read 104,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
When is CC going to be a resort area like SD, both cities have a lot in common
Whenever pigs learns to fly. About the only thing they have in common is sea water.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:06 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Several nice infill developments would look nice in Corpus.

http://www.leightongeo.com/experienc...project_title=
Sorry, but those don't look nice anywhere. I absolutely DETEST those behemoth condos/townhouses/lofts/whatever that keep popping up everywhere in Houston. They are ugly.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:53 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,800 times
You must not like the city life... I think inner Houston looks beautiful with all of the condos and other urban developments. I would love to see some of this start to happen in the inner parts of CC.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:53 AM

484 posts, read 1,631,815 times
Truthfully, these apartments look exactly like the old Soviet concrete slab building block construction technique, "flats", the only difference is scale, the ones in Moscow are typically 20+ floors, you see these commonly in Moscow, St, Peitersburg, and Keiv, they were built back in the bad old days of the USSR. The effort was to cram in as many low income families as possible into as little space as possible under the premise that it would be easier to heat and cool these rat-like warrens of human habitation. Most of those flats had multiple "common rooms" which families shared, i.e., one bathroom per two families, and one kitchen and one dinning room per 2-3 families. I love my neighbor as much as the next guy, but I dislike sharing my toothbrush and shaving cream with ugly guy down the hall.

This stuff is not for me, I'll cling to my single family dwelling as long as the ammunition holds out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi