U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:42 AM

8,578 posts, read 6,169,544 times

Advertisements

Check out the 'Yield vs Stop' section as defined in the Texas driving manual and the driving laws...
The Texas Highway Man Pages - Texas Traffic Laws (and good driving habits)

This is what I was taught when I got my Texas license. It's not just in Corpus Christi. Maybe it's just that more residents of Corpus Christi actually know the correct definition of 'yield'.

Up here where I live, yield signs are street decorations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 03:24 AM

8 posts, read 22,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Check out the 'Yield vs Stop' section as defined in the Texas driving manual and the driving laws...
The Texas Highway Man Pages - Texas Traffic Laws (and good driving habits)

This is what I was taught when I got my Texas license. It's not just in Corpus Christi. Maybe it's just that more residents of Corpus Christi actually know the correct definition of 'yield'.

Up here where I live, yield signs are street decorations.
Oh, no, I can assure you of the high level of illiteracy in Corpus as well.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 763 times
Along SPID (which is actually HWY 358), the feeder roads (which are actually South Padre Island Drive) have yield signs so traffic coming off of SPID can merge and exit to the right. SPID's exiting traffic is high priority, traffic on the feeder road behind the yield sign is low priority. Why is this the case? SPID is a freeway, meant for high speed (60-65mph) traffic, and is not designed to accommodate stopped traffic. The feeder roads are slow speed (35mph) and are designed in tandem with SPID such that traffic behind the yield sign is minimal.

If you don't stop at the yield sign, and someone coming off of SPID wanting to turn right at the intersection hits you, you are at fault for "Not yielding the right-of-way."

I used Google Street View to put together a slideshow of the proper, intended, and most importantly legal way to merge and yield along SPID.

1. I am a Mazda and I am exiting onto Staples at the SPID / Staples interchange.
http://i.imgur.com/NpIzel.jpg

2. I need to merge two lanes to the right at the interchange. There's a Mustang on the right, and it looks like trouble... But wait, it's okay! The Mustang is legally obligated to obey the sign that literally says, "Yield to Ramp." There is also a double white line that means, "Do not cross, for any reason." I can't change lanes until after the end of the double white line, but the Mustang can't change into my lane, either. It exists to keep us both safe!
http://i.imgur.com/2rXkKl.jpg

3. The Mustang fulfilled its legal obligation to yield, and I was able to merge to the right without resorting to a real world test of the Pauli exclusion principle! Hooray, I can now turn right onto Staples!
http://i.imgur.com/XM1y5l.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi