U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 13,925 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are hoping to relocate to Texas from Slc Utah this fall. We have done quite a bit of research and are thinking either San antonio or Corpus Christi?? We want a warmer climate and would like to be close to the ocean. However we are a transracial family, my husband and I are Caucasian and we have two adopted African American babies. We are looking for a city that is deverse that will accept our family Also we want somewhere where our family is safe, with low crime rates and excellent schools. If anyone has any ideas for us please let us know. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 11:29 AM

38 posts, read 85,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by east&addiesmom View Post
However we are a transracial family, my husband and I are Caucasian and we have two adopted African American babies.

WTF....anyway do some research and try to visit San Antonio and Corpus if you could.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:16 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,412,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by east&addiesmom View Post
My husband and I are hoping to relocate to Texas from Slc Utah this fall. We have done quite a bit of research and are thinking either San antonio or Corpus Christi?? We want a warmer climate and would like to be close to the ocean. However we are a transracial family, my husband and I are Caucasian and we have two adopted African American babies. We are looking for a city that is deverse that will accept our family Also we want somewhere where our family is safe, with low crime rates and excellent schools. If anyone has any ideas for us please let us know. Thanks!!!
No one in CC will care that your family is transracial, but you may not find many people with similar circumstances. Corpus is very "live and let live." There are plenty of safe neighborhoods and you can find excellent schools in some neighborhoods. Depends on what you're able to pay for housing and how much of a commute to work you want to do.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:37 PM

5 posts, read 20,453 times
Hi and welcome. I moved her from SLC in 2010 and it was the BEST DECISION EVER. I love it here!!!! I live on the southside and think that your family won't have any trouble fitting in. If you are looking for a church home, Bay Area Fellowship would be a PERFECT place for your family. Very nonjudgmental, come as you are, accepting.....

Good luck to you!

Old 02-28-2012, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 13,925 times
Thanks tulip22 for the POSITIVE feedback!!!! We are looking forward to warm weather and trips to the beach!!!

Old 04-11-2012, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 8,019 times
Corpus is not the best choice, you will be accepted without a doubt, and it's true what Marlow said. But truth be told San Antonio and maybe even Houston (which for me would be a better choice) are probably better for your circumstances. Just make sure you do your research! Good luck, and I'm sure you'll make the right decision and be happy.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:36 PM

16,760 posts, read 42,358,751 times
The racial information is provided only because you asked. The Corpus area has a lot to offer. I think you will be fine in Corpus. I would definitely move there before moving to San Antonio. But I'd move to San Antonio before considering Houston. I suggest you look at Rockport, 30 miles up the coast from Corpus on Aransas Bay. It is the prettiest part of the coast.

//www.city-data.com/city/Corpus-Christi-Texas.html

//www.city-data.com/city/San-Antonio-Texas.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Houston-Texas.html

Old 04-20-2012, 05:04 AM

7 posts, read 17,406 times
To be honest, corpus schools are severely lacking. and if u decide to move here. try to move onto the padre island side of corpus and get your kids in their school district. San antonio has much more to offer, and the cost of living is near the same. you will find a wide variety of everything there, and the crime-rate is relatively low unless you live in some of the really bad parts, but that is any city. the plus about SA is the location. the beach is just a day trip away...youre surrounded with kid friendly things in SA, beautiful parks, zoo, museums and amusement parks. highly accredited schools and wide variety of specialty schools ranging from montessori, science, arts, and of course religious schools. but the best part is the location..the beach isnt but a few hours, new braunfels has schlitterbahn waterpark and 2 rivers to go tubing or wade about in (especially in hte gruene district). beautiful canyon lake is but an hour away. and of course theres austin and all the family friendly events that go on there. San antonio is a little big, but not too big to get used to and you learn quickly how to navigate it. dont be fooled into thinking living in corpus is living by the beach. many people have that misconception. they arrive here and say "wheres the beach??" and they look at our bay with a confused expression. the beach is on padre island about 30 plus minutes away lol. and if u do happen to get a home or apartment near the oso bay, beware of low tide..you will have a lovely view of trash, dead fish, and seaweed..and the awful stench that accompanies it on hot days. living on the island is wonderful, but inconvenient..and will get worse once the city pushes for the schlitterbahn waterpark out there. there is no grocery store out there and its basically just a few lanes to get in/out of the island which makes living on the island in the summer just awful at times. i dont think you will have any problem with your family at either city.if you do they are probably just a handful of ignorant fools, and we texans an a whole are more open minded than some think. whichever you decide, i wish the best. but if u do decide to move to c-town..do your research on the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or