U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2012, 09:07 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,579 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

I'm a late 20's white male moving alone from PA to Corpus at the end of this month!!! I've google-ed and read these forums until my eyes bled, but haven't found anyone in my specific situation.

Right now I'm looking for an apartment (IDEALLY furnished..not sure if possible yet) for a year or less just so I can get a better feel for the city and my new job. Specific apartment complex suggestions (based on experience of yourself or others..not google..I've been there) would be fantastic, but right now I need to know what area to look at! I've read to avoid N and NW, and it seems like south side or downtown could be good for me, but am hoping for some more advice.

Here's what i'm looking for in the area:
1) A couple nightlife options of some sort within walking distance (ie a mile) --- I don't need raging nightclubs, just some place to grab a drink/shoot pool so I'm not sitting alone in my apartment every night. "Nightlife" definitions vary..I'm a simple person and am not expecting the world, just don't want to risk DUIs by driving from the bar.
1A) Is there good cab service in Corpus? Do I have to schedule in advance, or are they constantly driving around? If so, #1 could be irrelevant.
2) Safe from crime --- I've read the crime data...but the data can lie. Really, I just want a local's perspective on where they'd feel comfortable walking around. I'd mainly like to have a car that doesn't get keyed and be able to walk around at night without issue.
3) Less than 30 minutes to work (exit 6 off IH37), less than 30 minutes to a beach, less than 30 minutes to a good fishing spot.
4) Also where exactly is considered "downtown" corpus? What crossroads?

Footnote:
I've only been to Corpus for the interview process (last week) so I didn't see much. I just got the offer this week (and am moving in 2 weeks). I've been researching a lot, but please excuse my ignorance if some of the above don't apply. Also, this is definitely NOT a "thinking of moving situation" but rather "this is happening ASAP, PLEASE HELP" type of situation!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2012, 09:21 AM
 
15,429 posts, read 18,104,546 times
Reputation: 25708
Look at the Bay Vista and Nueces Lofts apartments downtown. Bay Vista has a lot of young professional people. Nueces Lofts has a bit of a funkier crowd. You might also look at renting a condo at the Executive House or one of the other condo's downtown. Do a rental search in the 78401 area code for condos. But beware because the area is very mixed up. If it sounds really cheap, stay away. Feel free to post on here again or send me a DM if you have a question about a particular place. Not sure if you can rent a furnished place or not, but you can rent furniture.

There are cabs, but you usually have to call them and wait til they get there. Safety wise you'll be fine as long as you aren't in a gang or buying drugs from anyone.

If you're moving from Philly you'll be in for some culture shock. Try to keep an open mind and you'll have fun. Some people who move here from big cities do nothing but complain and others embrace what there is to do in the area and enjoy it. Welcome and good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 10:18 AM
 
2 posts, read 8,398 times
Reputation: 10
There's some apartments on Weber and Holly...That's towards the southside..and there's a pool hall and an heb grocery store just around the corner from the apartments...the pool hall is called Theo's...I believer theres about 4 to five apartment complexs next to these facilities. Good luck...and may you enjoy your stay here in Corpus. It's not really a bad place...just enjoy...the people here are awesome...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Corpus Christi
484 posts, read 1,475,387 times
Reputation: 472
pennywise,

Corpus is very unlike Philly in so many ways. For one thing, almost everyone here has private transportation,,, not necessarily a new car, but a car or a pickup truck of some sort. The old joke here is: "What's the slowest thing in town?"... the answer is: "The 4th of July Parade with only one set of jumper cables". We are addicted to our private cars and trucks, even if they are not new and shiny.

If you are young, single, and short of money, I'd suggest you consider a room mate situation. You might find better living conditions for less money in a two or three bedroom house or condo with a couple of kindred souls rather than trying to make it on your own. Texas A&M University Corpus has many students your age in the same situation.

I suggest you Google TAMCC, "room mates wanted", and see what pops up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 11:16 PM
 
Location: Corpus Christi
484 posts, read 1,475,387 times
Reputation: 472
Quote:
If you're moving from Philly you'll be in for some culture shock. Try to keep an open mind and you'll have fun. Some people who move here from big cities do nothing but complain and others embrace what there is to do in the area and enjoy it. Welcome and good luck!
Marlow's comment is very apropos, Texas has a great number of new natives from the North who have embraced our special culture and have found happiness here, there are also many others who are stuck on stupid and never find a place in their heart for Texas. Texans are a different breed, very different from Philly,,, get to know us,,, you may decide to join us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2012, 11:22 PM
 
13 posts, read 65,767 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywise2913 View Post
I'm a late 20's white male moving alone from PA to Corpus at the end of this month!!! I've google-ed and read these forums until my eyes bled, but haven't found anyone in my specific situation.

Right now I'm looking for an apartment (IDEALLY furnished..not sure if possible yet) for a year or less just so I can get a better feel for the city and my new job. Specific apartment complex suggestions (based on experience of yourself or others..not google..I've been there) would be fantastic, but right now I need to know what area to look at! I've read to avoid N and NW, and it seems like south side or downtown could be good for me, but am hoping for some more advice.

Here's what i'm looking for in the area:
1) A couple nightlife options of some sort within walking distance (ie a mile) --- I don't need raging nightclubs, just some place to grab a drink/shoot pool so I'm not sitting alone in my apartment every night. "Nightlife" definitions vary..I'm a simple person and am not expecting the world, just don't want to risk DUIs by driving from the bar.
1A) Is there good cab service in Corpus? Do I have to schedule in advance, or are they constantly driving around? If so, #1 could be irrelevant.
2) Safe from crime --- I've read the crime data...but the data can lie. Really, I just want a local's perspective on where they'd feel comfortable walking around. I'd mainly like to have a car that doesn't get keyed and be able to walk around at night without issue.
3) Less than 30 minutes to work (exit 6 off IH37), less than 30 minutes to a beach, less than 30 minutes to a good fishing spot.
4) Also where exactly is considered "downtown" corpus? What crossroads?

Footnote:
I've only been to Corpus for the interview process (last week) so I didn't see much. I just got the offer this week (and am moving in 2 weeks). I've been researching a lot, but please excuse my ignorance if some of the above don't apply. Also, this is definitely NOT a "thinking of moving situation" but rather "this is happening ASAP, PLEASE HELP" type of situation!!
As you know, I moved from So Cal (orange county) to Corpus about 10 months ago for work. I work with great people and the people in Corpus are friendly. I will say, though, there isn't alot to do as far as entertainment goes. You have to get creative. In a bigger city, it's easier to find things to do and things tend to stay open late. Although I'm enjoying my job, I definitely don't see myself living here permanently. I've met more than a few transplants from other parts of the country and they feel the same. On to your questions
1)downtown has little bars and places where you can grab a drink and listen to live music. My personal preference is to live in south side. Most of the shops, the mall, and things are in southside (which is about a 7 mi distance from the water). There are a few decent apartment complexes. Camden has a few good properties there.
1A) Cab service in corpus- I've only called a cab twice, and both times they were there promptly and even earlier than they said. No issues. I also didn't need to call them in advance either time. That being said, that could have been because that night wasn't as busy.
2) I got a little skeptical before moving here because of the crime stats too. I think southside is pretty safe. North side has some shady areas..and downtown has a mix. It's just like any big cities. There are areas to avoid and other areas that are safe. I don't feel afraid to walk around my apartment where i live.
3) southside is far less than 30 min from all of your requirements
4) downtown...i honestly couldn't tell you the "exact" boundary streets. I think that has more to do with the fact that I've only been here 10 months. I'll try to talk to a few friends I've made here that are Corpus natives and see if I can dig up some info for you.

Lastly, the people from work that I hang out with, are all your age, I might be able to introduce you to a few people. It's always hard to meet people in a new place...it makes things easier when you know people that know the area...and also people that have gone through the same move that you're about to make.
Anyway, hope that was helpful enough
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,579 times
Reputation: 14
All,
Thanks for all of the responses.

Marlow, although it's a bit on the high end, I really really liked what I read about Bay Vista. Unfortunately, no apartments are available right now. Great advice about renting furniture though! I didn't even think of that!

D8210, thanks for the detailed response. I want to explore the city solo for a bit, but I definitely plan to take you up on that offer to introduce me to other transplants! Thanks!

I think I've pretty much settled on the southside based on everyone's responses and the other threads I've read. And don't worry, I know it'll be different than I'm used to, but I fully intend to come into corpus with an open mind.

Thanks again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 06:18 PM
 
25 posts, read 54,349 times
Reputation: 16
You might want to try an extended stay place before you commit to a place, site unseen. Portland has a decent place ( looks anyway) that sits near the bay. The sign says $247 a week. We all have our " must haves" and being your from PA ( a different animal than Corpus,lol) it might be best to get a temporary place to scope out what you need. Welcome to Texas!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 08:19 PM
 
1,003 posts, read 1,589,698 times
Reputation: 1687
Try Armon Bay for an apartment. They are a bit newer, less expensive than Bay Vista, and not over run with undergrads, mostly grad students because it is not on the shuttle route for TAMUCC. Stay away from The Shores...huge complex, has a history of problems more frequently than most, and tons of students (university shuttle has a stop right out front) and transient population. Just my experience searching for apartments recently.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Corpus Christi
484 posts, read 1,475,387 times
Reputation: 472
Quote:
Great advice about renting furniture though! I didn't even think of that!
When our son decided to go back to school for his MBA it meant moving back home from Salt Lake City with just his clothes, computer, and a few personal things. No furniture.
We allowed him to camp out here for a while until he found an apt he liked, he then furnished the place with 2nd hand thrift shop stuff, (all except the bed), so when you are looking for a desk, a chair or lamp don't forget Good Will Industries, they have lots of usable things at very reasonable prices.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:30 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top