Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:46 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,128,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawuori View Post
I too may soon be re-locating to CC
Having lived in CC and Portland, I'd advise you to consider Portland, or any of the communities that surround CC. Be forewarned that Port Aransas is quite expensive, but I imagine that property there would be a good investment - and you can always use the fact that you live on (or near) the beach to entice the kids (and grandkids) to come visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawuori View Post
Also, how's the fishing? Is there someplace a poor working man on a budget can sink a line in the gulf without it costing a weeks pay?
Yes sir! If you love to fish saltwater, the Coastal Bend is *the* place for you.

We love fishing at Red Dot Pier on the JFK Causeway, between Flour Bluff and "the island" (Padre Island).

There are places along the JFK Causeway where you can park on the sand and wade fish. You can also wade fish in "Sunset Lake" off 181 between Indian Point Pier and the city of Portland.

Also try

gulf:
Horace Caldwell Pier in Port Aransas on Mustang Island
Bob Hall Pier on "the island" (Padre Island)

bay:
Indian Point pier, on the Nueces Bay Causeway (US 181/TX35) between North Beach and Portland.
There's a pier that extends out in to the bay near the corner of Ennis Joslin and Ocean Dr., across from the Stripes gas station. I don't know if it's open to the public.
Also, there is a long pier that crosses Copano Bay, just north of Rockport / Fulton alongside TX 35.

Some folks like to fish near the ferry landing on the Port A side of the pass; along TX 361 between Aransas Pass and the the ferry landing on the Harbor Island side of the pass; and off the jetties in Port A. I've also seen guys in boats fishing Nueces Bay, near the causeway. There's a turnaround under SPID (on the Airline side, not the Flour Bluff side) where my wife likes to fish. There's also a turnaround under I-37 near LaBonte park, where the Nueces river flows (it's brackish water there, because it's below the dam. More on that later). You can also try "mud bridge" where Yorktown crosses Oso Bay/Oso Creek, heading from Airline toward Flour Bluff. The Barney M. Davis Reservoir is there too, but I don't know a lot about it. I think it's a cooling reservoir for the power plant, but I might be wrong. It may be open to the public, or it may not. You'd have to check with some old-timer locals, or some local fishing guides, for info on that one.

For freshwater fishing, you can go to Lake Corpus Christi (some folks call it Lake Mathis), or you can fish above the dam on the Nueces River alongside I-37 near Labonte Park. The dam separates the freshwater (above the dam) from the brackish water below the dam - the Nueces river empties into Nueces Bay. Lake Findley is a tiny lake just north of Alice, but I doubt it'd be worth the drive. And if you don't mind doing a little driving, Choke Canyon Reservoir is west of Three Rivers, about an hour from CC.

Not bad for only having lived there a year, huh?

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 02:20 PM

484 posts, read 1,623,564 times
Very impressive, Slowpoke

Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 AM

14 posts, read 28,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I think you could click on any city forum on City-Data and find people who hate, love it and are somewhere in between.

Corpus has big issues--a lousy, self-serving City council, apathetic citizens unconcerned with making anything better, a high poverty and low education rate and everything that goes with that, and long, miserably hot summers.

But for a city its size, there is plenty of stuff to do and plenty of good places to eat (which seems to be a major concern for some). Fishing, windsurfing and other beach activities, minor league baseball and hockey, indoor football, lots of road races, several triathalons, festivals, concerts (Shakira, Taylor Swift, Willie Nelson, Snoop Dog, Cher, Lady Antebellum all come to mind--but that's certainly not all), a local film festival, etc. Is it Austin or Houston? No, but it's not exactly podunk either.

The bayfront on a summer evening--or really, any evening--is lovely.

CC isn't perfect, but few places are. But I do think there are many worse places to live.
You are right, every place I have lived has had its good points and bad points. The original poster had only one positive comment on living in CC and that was phrased unflatteringly. The replies defending CC were met with supercilious comments on punctuation. After a few pages of comments the original poster dropped off and the whole tone changed. A misanthrope is a person who dislikes or distrusts other people or mankind in general. That definition might describe the original poster to a T but it doesn't apply to 99% of the CC forum posters I have read.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:36 PM

20 posts, read 59,397 times
Update on the Staples Center buyout. Will be torn down and rebuilt to compliment La Palmera next door, Will be called "The Shops at La Palmera" (like La Cantera in SA) and will feature new stores and eateries.

Quote from Facebook Page:
"So many new and exciting shops and eateries coming the The Shops at La Palmera! Stay tuned........."

Old 08-14-2012, 04:05 PM

14 posts, read 41,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
As a progressive minded person, and an intellectual, not having ready access to East coast donuts is simply primitive.

I consider myself to be very metropolitan (as evidenced by the variety of small towns I've also lived in) and there is not a single California chain restaurant here.

I cannot understand for the life of me why there seem to be so many Mexicans in South Texas.

As I am also clearly progressive and of a high intellect, I am too contemplating a move to Austin.
this post. oh my god. i died.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,597 times
Having moved here 3 years ago from the frozen waste lands of Wisconsin, I can add some things, whether they are of any value or not, who knows? For you life long residents, sometimes it is a shock to see your community through a completely different perspective, so I apologize in advance , no offense meant.
First of all, overall I like C.C. and the surrounding area, and the economy has been good to me here, (I am an HVAC Tech).
The people are usually friendly, I have only been called a "yankee" once, and that by a drunk redneck which can be found anywhere, not just here.
Best things
, The weather- winter is awesome here.
Food - Tex-mex, bar-b que,
Business climate - much easier to do business, less of the red tape that they have up north.
Lower cost of living, although this can come with a lower standard of living as well.
The people are usually polite! Mam and sir are heard often.
lack of bullying - at least at the school my son attends, I have to say that I am very pleased with the way everyone gets along.

Worst things.
Very little cultural diversity. South Texas is overwhelmingly Hispanic.
Before you jump all over me, I get it. The Mexicans were here first. I expected it. Still a bit of a shock though. In my line of work, I talk to people all day, there are many store employees that do not speak English. Smaller towns around Corpus are from 70 -90% Hispanic.
That being said, I have noticed that the people here in South Texas get along pretty well, I have made several friends and their is not a lot of racial tension, at least I haven't noticed it .My family has been accepted into the community even though we are obviously not Texans.
The schools are about 2 years behind the North, at least the one my son goes to, which is highly ranked for here.
The weather - Summer is a B@tch. Winter balances it out.
The worst thing is Bugs! Giant **** roaches, scorpions, spiders that defy description, stinging caterpillars,etc. Keep your exterminator on speed dial.

Overall, my OPINION of C.C. is pretty good, and I don't regret moving here.

Lack of Chinese food hasn't really hit my radar.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:52 AM

484 posts, read 1,623,564 times
Hummmm,,, that Panda Express we heard about going up on Saratoga by the Wal-Mart has a DQ sign on it.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:17 AM

Haha, whoever thought it was Panda Express really feels dumb right now

Old 08-18-2012, 05:24 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,385,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack227 View Post
Haha, whoever thought it was Panda Express really feels dumb right now
That would be me :P

I was told by a co-worker that he just KNEW it was a Panda Express.

After visiting Houston last week, I wish we had a Fry's Electronics! That store is awesome!

Food wise, I wish we had a Garibaldi's Pizza!

Old 08-18-2012, 10:52 PM

It is a very nice looking building compared to the other DQ lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi