U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 01:33 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,788,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckitralph View Post
Yikes. This is worthy of excitement in corpus? That's somewhat depressing.
Exciting? Not much. I am just posting new developments within the area. It is a pretty small city, so there aren't very many big projects happening.

I will say, for there having been such limited development in the Annaville/Calallen area in the last 30-40 years, it is exciting for that area. Especially with the arrival of the new outlet malls next year, three miles down the road. This area has been should have been exploding with growth a long time ago. But has been overlooked for the likes of the far southside and, for some weird reason, Flour Bluff.

With that said, a new 19 acre shopping center is proposed for Airline/Roddfield.

Last edited by gabetx; 12-23-2014 at 01:47 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 01:49 PM

553 posts, read 867,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCC View Post
Says the guy from Smithville.

A false assumption. I am from an old historical family of CC. Soak in that logic for a moment.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Says the guy from Smithville.
Says Kiiitv Corpus Christi, TX:

The End of $100 a Barrel Oil - KiiiTV.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

Filmed in Corpus Christi, TX.

Sister of Texas Rep Blake Farenthold arrested after SWAT raid finds meth | Daily Mail Online

Old 12-23-2014, 03:10 PM

12 posts, read 19,454 times
Quote:
Yikes. This is worthy of excitement in corpus? That's somewhat depressing.
Over 2,000 new apartments in a little over a year is something to get excited about. Not sure why that's depressing. More and more people are realizing what a great place CC is to live. I think this trend will continue for awhile too. There's so much development and investment going on in CC and it's not all related to the Eagle Ford.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:52 PM

45 posts, read 50,293 times
Quote:
Over 2,000 new apartments in a little over a year is something to get excited about. Not sure why that's depressing. More and more people are realizing what a great place CC is to live. I think this trend will continue for awhile too. There's so much development and investment going on in CC and it's not all related to the Eagle Ford.
There are over 2,000 apartments under construction in the urban core of San Antonio, alone, it's not impressive that a metro area the size of corpus had 2,000 apartments built in twelve months.

Right now, in Stone Oak, there are nearly 500 apartments under construction. Throughout the year, that number is more than Corpus. Stone Oak has about 100,000 residents.

But, my comment was more so in regards to an HEB and apartment complex getting announced as if it's major news. Eh.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:06 PM

412 posts, read 443,064 times
Quote:
There are over 2,000 apartments under construction in the urban core of San Antonio, alone, it's not impressive that a metro area the size of corpus had 2,000 apartments built in twelve months.

Right now, in Stone Oak, there are nearly 500 apartments under construction. Throughout the year, that number is more than Corpus. Stone Oak has about 100,000 residents.

But, my comment was more so in regards to an HEB and apartment complex getting announced as if it's major news. Eh.
It's no secret that CC has not grown as much as some of the other TX cities, but I don't see why they have to be ashamed by the development going on. I would love to see more happening in CC someday, but maybe its day hasn't come yet.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:02 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,788,108 times
Quote:

Your comparing a metro area of 2,500,000 people, that is currently a national hotspot and is home to many regional and national HQ's, to a loose metro area of 450,000 that is typically only a regional attraction. Our city gaining approximately 10,000 people in the last three years is "massive growth" as opposed to cities like SA that gain somewhere around 100,000 people a year. On top of all of that, Corpus has to compete with other cities that are within 200 miles including SA, Houston, Austin, RGV and Laredo. Corpus Just doesn't have the chance to grow much with three of the nations 15 biggest cities within a couple hours drive.

There is no comparing the two.

Last edited by gabetx; 12-25-2014 at 06:12 PM..

Old 12-27-2014, 11:37 AM

12 posts, read 19,454 times
Exactly. And if you compared CC to some of the other largest metros in the US, CC is posting more growth than most. The city has added more jobs than some states over the last couple of years. The apartment market is ranked only second to Miami. There is no denying the incredible progress that is going on in and around CC and, yes, grocery stores are a part of that. They are a true sign of population growth. Another major grocer recently announced it's adding a location to the south side as well and one is in the works for the island. The article was about way more than just an HEB and an apartment complex.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:13 PM

45 posts, read 50,293 times
Quote:
Exactly. And if you compared CC to some of the other largest metros in the US, CC is posting more growth than most. The city has added more jobs than some states over the last couple of years. The apartment market is ranked only second to Miami. There is no denying the incredible progress that is going on in and around CC and, yes, grocery stores are a part of that. They are a true sign of population growth. Another major grocer recently announced it's adding a location to the south side as well and one is in the works for the island. The article was about way more than just an HEB and an apartment complex.
You haven't provided any proof for any of those claims. I mean seriously, I doubt corpus is "posting more growth" than most large metro areas, nor is Corpus' apartment market second only to Miami. What do any of those claims even mean? They're very vague to say the least.

Is corpus out growing most large metro areas by population growth? (No)

By jobs added? (No)

By commercial developmet added? (No.)

By number of residential units added? (No.)

By raise in per capita income? (No)

Sorry.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:22 AM

Quote:
You haven't provided any proof for any of those claims. I mean seriously, I doubt corpus is "posting more growth" than most large metro areas, nor is Corpus' apartment market second only to Miami. What do any of those claims even mean? They're very vague to say the least.

Is corpus out growing most large metro areas by population growth? (No)

By jobs added? (No)

By commercial developmet added? (No.)

By number of residential units added? (No.)

By raise in per capita income? (No)

Sorry.
I tossed it off as typical CC boosterism with the usual unsupported claims. All the recent growth is great but there are serious underlying infrastructure problems. CC has years of deferred and underfunded street maintenance with aging water and sewer lines.

See CC Caller Times: Panelists: Corpus Christi infrastructure conditions, funds at a point of crisis
Jessica Savage
6:03 AM, Oct 19, 2012

Current growth is due to the shale players dry gas and Port of CC infrastructure:

The voestalpine Group – This is steelmaking, based on cheap dry gas. Lynz, Austria,

The M&G Group – a Tortona, Italy owned chemical engineering and manufacturing company.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/polyet...114300832.html

TPCO America – From Tianjin, China, About TPCO makes seamless steel pipe that is used throughout the oil and gas industry.

NuStar Energy has opened its third petroleum dock at the Port of Corpus Christi.

Cheniere Energy Inc. is building a liquefied natural gas export plant Magellan Midstream Partners and Castleton Commodities International have announced plans for condensate splitters.

Corpus has a lot of heavy lifting to prepare for post-Panamax shipping. . .if you know what that means.

The edge pessimists have over optimistic types - they are better informed.

Oil Prices & Energy News: Crude Oil Price Charts, Investment Advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi