U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2014, 09:15 AM
 
12 posts, read 19,266 times
Reputation: 62

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckitralph View Post
You haven't provided any proof for any of those claims. I mean seriously, I doubt corpus is "posting more growth" than most large metro areas, nor is Corpus' apartment market second only to Miami. What do any of those claims even mean? They're very vague to say the least.

Is corpus out growing most large metro areas by population growth? (No)

By jobs added? (No)

By commercial developmet added? (No.)

By number of residential units added? (No.)

By raise in per capita income? (No)

Sorry.
Does this clear it up for you?

By population growth

U-Haul: About: U-Haul Ranks Dallas as 2013 Top U.S. Growth City

America's Fastest-Growing Cities Since The Recession - Forbes

By jobs added

http://www.kristv.com/news/corpus-ch...rbes-magazine/

Corpus Christi blows Austin away in construction job growth - Austin Business Journal

Bullish on jobs? These 10 cities are. - Corpus Christi, Texas: +4.3 percent rise in jobs - CSMonitor.com

Corpus Christi, Texas Job Growth | Department of Numbers
(look up some individual states and large metros)

By commercial growth

Eagle Ford
($22 Billion in investments, currently more than any other metro in US)

HVS - HVS Hotel Market Intelligence Report: Corpus Christi, Texas

Community Successes

By number of residential units added

Corpus Christi Apartment Market Continues Red Hot Performance [Video] | Property Management Insider

Austin's Sendera Investment Group acquires Baypoint Resort Apartments in Corpus Christi - Austin Business Journal

Forbes ranks Corpus Christi ninth in nation for housing market recovery - Story


By raise in per capita income

Houston ranks among top metros for per capita income growth - Houston Business Journal

Where are the fastest-growing metro economies? Texas | Dallas Morning News

Texas outpaces nation in growth, and one Dallas suburb leads pack - CultureMap Dallas

2014′s Fastest Growing Cities | WalletHub®

MTC -- News

Study ranks Corpus Christi's economy as 49th strongest nationwide - Story

But maybe this is just some typical CC boosterism as Rust says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-30-2014, 09:50 PM
 
45 posts, read 49,715 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCC View Post
Does this clear it up for you?

By population growth

U-Haul: About: U-Haul Ranks Dallas as 2013 Top U.S. Growth City

America's Fastest-Growing Cities Since The Recession - Forbes

By jobs added

Corpus Christi Makes Top Employment List in Forbes Magazine | Corpus Christi, TX | KRISTV.com |

Corpus Christi blows Austin away in construction job growth - Austin Business Journal

Bullish on jobs? These 10 cities are. - Corpus Christi, Texas: +4.3 percent rise in jobs - CSMonitor.com

Corpus Christi, Texas Job Growth | Department of Numbers
(look up some individual states and large metros)

By commercial growth

Eagle Ford
($22 Billion in investments, currently more than any other metro in US)

HVS - HVS Hotel Market Intelligence Report: Corpus Christi, Texas

Community Successes

By number of residential units added

Corpus Christi Apartment Market Continues Red Hot Performance [Video] | Property Management Insider

Austin's Sendera Investment Group acquires Baypoint Resort Apartments in Corpus Christi - Austin Business Journal

Forbes ranks Corpus Christi ninth in nation for housing market recovery - Story


By raise in per capita income

Houston ranks among top metros for per capita income growth - Houston Business Journal

Where are the fastest-growing metro economies? Texas | Dallas Morning News

Texas outpaces nation in growth, and one Dallas suburb leads pack - CultureMap Dallas

2014′s Fastest Growing Cities | WalletHub®

MTC -- News

Study ranks Corpus Christi's economy as 49th strongest nationwide - Story

But maybe this is just some typical CC boosterism as Rust says.
Wow.

Woooow.

I'm at a loss of words.

Not only are there lists you linked that don't even feature Corpus Christie but most don't even address what you have them listed as. Links for per capita growth don't even talked about per capita.

The statement about Corpus being second only to a Miami was about vacancy rate and only applied to the "South region" of the country, not the entire nation. Plus, that was for vacancy rate not apartment buildings built. Oh yeah, it was for the second quarter of 2013 aka a year and a half ago.

The billions spent on the Eagle shale is for a 22 county area across south Texas and South Central Texas not just Corpus.

You link this under "By population growth" yet Corpus is nowhere to be found. Geez.

I could keep on going but I would just keep embarrassing you.

Corpus isn't out growing any major metro in any facet nor is it impressive in any way compared to any metro aside from maybe the Rio Grande Valley.

This is sadly a mix of civic boosterism and very bad reading comprehension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2014, 12:37 AM
 
Location: Smithville, TX
553 posts, read 854,410 times
Reputation: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckitralph View Post
Wow.

Woooow.

I'm at a loss of words.

Not only are there lists you linked that don't even feature Corpus Christie but most don't even address what you have them listed as. Links for per capita growth don't even talked about per capita.

The statement about Corpus being second only to a Miami was about vacancy rate and only applied to the "South region" of the country, not the entire nation. Plus, that was for vacancy rate not apartment buildings built. Oh yeah, it was for the second quarter of 2013 aka a year and a half ago.

The billions spent on the Eagle shale is for a 22 county area across south Texas and South Central Texas not just Corpus.

You link this under "By population growth" yet Corpus is nowhere to be found. Geez.

I could keep on going but I would just keep embarrassing you.

Corpus isn't out growing any major metro in any facet nor is it impressive in any way compared to any metro aside from maybe the Rio Grande Valley.

This is sadly a mix of civic boosterism and very bad reading comprehension.
I too read all the links and noted the same. Of particular note was:

Study ranks Corpus Christi's economy as 49th strongest nationwide - Story

" Having the fastest or slowest growth rate doesn't say as much about an economy as does the consistency or stability of that growth, the report states.

"Areas with unstable, boom and bust economies are difficult places to conduct business," the report states. "Residents of these areas are subject to economic uncertainty and stress."

No one denies that Corpus hasn't had a few very impressive years and hopefully a better future but note the dates of GoCC's documents. You live and die in O&G on contracts and the price of oil. When oil was at $107. a barrel and short supply it boomed, the price has dropped over the past 6 months to $56. - that's a game changer.

I'm a little more measured and take the long view.

Remember the oil glut of the 1980s when Corpus rolled up the sidewalks and everything in Houston was for sale, lease, or rent?

The savings and loan crisis of the 1980s and 1990s?

Steve Smith's Big Bend resort town of Lajitas in 2000, The Last Resort | Texas Monthly

The Superconducting Super Collider (SSC) boomed Dallas and busted in 1993.

Remember, Destination Bayfront (Destination Bayfront )

Another boondoggle, building the Packery Channel jetties. A boondoggle is a project that is considered a useless waste of both time and money, yet is often continued due to extraneous policy or political motivations. Paul Schexnailder and Gulf Shores Joint Venture

The Packery Channel is great for jetty fisher folks but very expensive for the city, CC taxpayers.

I date myself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVs0DimprO4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2014, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Smithville, TX
553 posts, read 854,410 times
Reputation: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
I too read all the links and noted the same. Of particular note was:

Study ranks Corpus Christi's economy as 49th strongest nationwide - Story

" Having the fastest or slowest growth rate doesn't say as much about an economy as does the consistency or stability of that growth, the report states.

"Areas with unstable, boom and bust economies are difficult places to conduct business," the report states. "Residents of these areas are subject to economic uncertainty and stress."

No one denies that Corpus hasn't had a few very impressive years and hopefully a better future but note the dates of GoCC's documents. You live and die in O&G on contracts and the price of oil. When oil was at $107. a barrel and short supply it boomed, the price has dropped over the past 6 months to $56. - that's a game changer.

I'm a little more measured and take the long view.

Remember the oil glut of the 1980s when Corpus rolled up the sidewalks and everything in Houston was for sale, lease, or rent?

The savings and loan crisis of the 1980s and 1990s?

Steve Smith's Big Bend resort town of Lajitas in 2000, The Last Resort | Texas Monthly

The Superconducting Super Collider (SSC) boomed Dallas and busted in 1993.

Remember, Destination Bayfront (Destination Bayfront )

Another boondoggle, building the Packery Channel jetties. A boondoggle is a project that is considered a useless waste of both time and money, yet is often continued due to extraneous policy or political motivations. Paul Schexnailder and Gulf Shores Joint Venture

The Packery Channel is great for jetty fisher folks but very expensive for the city, CC taxpayers.
The Oil Crash Has Claimed Its First Casualty (In Port Lavaca)

The Oil Crash Has Claimed Its First Casualty - Business Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 02:30 PM
 
12 posts, read 19,266 times
Reputation: 62
Maybe you need to go read those articles again. For one, the $22 Billion in investment is not Eagle Ford projects. They include several manufacturing plants that may have been lured here by affordable natural gas but they aren't dependent upon it. These companies know that oil & gas runs out eventually. We all remember the past. Some of us choose to look toward the future.

Yes, I made mistake on the apartment stat but gimme a break, it's still a really positive stat. The South makes up a large area with several huge metros. Check any standard map and you'll see. Not sure how you have issue with any of the other items I posted. At least I'm providing some solid facts and not just spreading negativity and posting an article about Port Lavaca. What does that have to do with CC? I guess you can put me in the category of CC boosterism. You say it like it's a bad thing. I'm not sure why it's so wrong to be happy about the positive and undeniable growth going on in CC. I should have figured it was impossible to have a mature dialogue with some of the tolls out there. The title of the thread is very appropriately titled "To all the Naysayers".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Smithville, TX
553 posts, read 854,410 times
Reputation: 501
The "Naysayers" are identified below.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCC View Post
We all remember the past. Some of us choose to look toward the future.
"What's past is prologue"

Read my post of 03-12-2014, 10:00 PM

For six months I walked by the National Archives Building on Pennsylvania Ave, in Washington, DC. Engraved in stone on that august building appear these words *"What's past is prologue" as a reminder that history influences and sets the context for the present.

//www.city-data.com/forum/corpu...l#post33856435



Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCC


>At least I'm providing some solid facts <

[COLOR="Blue"
If cold, hard numbers and the CC Caller-Times is "spreading negativity". I'm not seeing butterflies, rainbows, and unicorns. Who knows, it's all speculation for the moment.[/color]

> and posting an article about Port Lavaca. What does that have to do with CC? <

Articles are not solid facts, they are opinions. Interestingly, Excelerate Energy's Texan liquefied natural gas terminal plan for Port Lavaca was the first victim of the oil price slump. Since that date note: Fuel Fix » Houston's daily must-read source for news and analysis on the oil, gas and energy business Facts are so inconvenient.


>I guess you can put me in the category of CC boosterism. You say it like it's a bad thing.<

It's your elected screen name. I'm saying it without Schadenfreude, it's a fact.


I'm not sure why it's so wrong to be happy about the positive and undeniable growth going on in CC. I should have figured it was impossible to have a mature dialogue with some of the tolls out there. The title of the thread is very appropriately titled "To all the Naysayers".[/quote]

It sometimes appears on C-D forums a "troll" is merely someone you disagree with but cannot refute. I am a very mature, 71 years-old, who's been around the world.

Note your first post in this thread "Some guy in Smithville says" is your effort at mature dialogue?

Texas' quaint Smithville goes Hollywood - Houston Chronicle


The "Naysayers" are identified here:

Is it hard to do business in Corpus Christi? - Story



Neither Yea or Nay, CALL ME MR. IN-BETWEEN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2015, 04:22 PM
 
45 posts, read 49,715 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCC View Post
Maybe you need to go read those articles again. For one, the $22 Billion in investment is not Eagle Ford projects. They include several manufacturing plants that may have been lured here by affordable natural gas but they aren't dependent upon it. These companies know that oil & gas runs out eventually. We all remember the past. Some of us choose to look toward the future.

Yes, I made mistake on the apartment stat but gimme a break, it's still a really positive stat. The South makes up a large area with several huge metros. Check any standard map and you'll see. Not sure how you have issue with any of the other items I posted. At least I'm providing some solid facts and not just spreading negativity and posting an article about Port Lavaca. What does that have to do with CC? I guess you can put me in the category of CC boosterism. You say it like it's a bad thing. I'm not sure why it's so wrong to be happy about the positive and undeniable growth going on in CC. I should have figured it was impossible to have a mature dialogue with some of the tolls out there. The title of the thread is very appropriately titled "To all the Naysayers".
Be happy for the positives that are occurring in Corpus but don't inflate, overstate or just falsely claim things about Corpus.

Corpus is a small city and a small metro area that is seeing low to moderate growth in almost every aspect.

The apartment claim.was about vacancy rates not about built apartments or apartment rents or apartment demand. Just vacancy. It's not really an impressive stat to be honest.

Corpus sees a majority of its population growth come from new births not migration.

Corpus is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2015, 07:49 AM
 
12 posts, read 19,266 times
Reputation: 62
I'm not inflating or lying about anything. Go back and read the articles. And by the way, low vacancy IS exactly what drives demand. So it is impressive. Vacancy has driven up demand so much that over almost 2,000 units were built last year with another 1,400 planned on in development for 2015. CC's growth use to be fueled more by births than by migration but that just isn't the case anymore. I don't think U-haul (a moving company) was basing its list on number of births. But that's only one source. There are several sources to find the latest migration patterns. There is a definite shift. And I know CC is a small metro, that's why the growth and the fact that it is outperforming some larger metros in multiple areas is so impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top