Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 01:12 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,264 times

Advertisements

Not to spoil Gabe's enthusiasm, but I think Portland may be the best "new" thing going, right now. Lots of development, especially with the given business near by along 361 and in the GP/Ingleside areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 05:09 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,521,563 times
The Texas State Data Center estimates Nueces County grew 2.8% from 2010 to Jan 2013. That isn't bad but well below the state average of 4.4%

Old 06-04-2014, 06:07 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
The Texas State Data Center estimates Nueces County grew 2.8% from 2010 to Jan 2013. That isn't bad but well below the state average of 4.4%
That isn't surprising because Corpus Christi is the only city in Nueces County that is growing. Everywhere else in the county has negative population trends.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:33 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,521,563 times
LOL the other cities have negligible impact.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:08 AM

13 posts, read 29,545 times
YES, Alamo Draftouse will be good. Moved here from San Antonio and would watch most of the new motion pictures at the ADH. Nice for downtown.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:36 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,966,516 times
I think Costco will be in for a rough road ahead to build in CC, especially if they want incentives.

Costco is major competition to the Walmarts, Sams Club, HEB, and even Stripes. Costco's hot dog and soft drink for $1.50 (and you don't need to be a member to purchase at the food court, pharmacy, optical) has been the same since 1983.

Costco's starting wage is no less than $11.00, even for cashiers. All the others start at minimum wage ($7.25 in TX). 88% of Costco employees choose to purchase health insurance through work after 6 months. Only 16% of Walmart workers have company health insurance, offered after 2 years of employment, only to full time workers, with a $10,000 deductible on the policy.

So if you purchase at Walmart/Sams Club the products may be a bit cheaper than Costco. However you are supporting the 2.2 million workers at Walmart/SC because their wages put them below the poverty level. So the taxpayer is providing free school lunches for the kids, food stamps, and subsidized housing for the largest employer in the US.

Their are some of us in CC with Costco cards who choose to do major shopping in San Antonio for just this reason (required us to find an apartment with plenty of storage!) which drains valuable tax dollars from CC. Even on a very limited, starving student budget, after comparing prices it is cheaper to grocery shop in SA once/month and fill in produce/perishables from Sprouts weekly specials than to shop at HEB. I am fortunate that I usually have to make the trip for a conference or some other reason to be in SA anyways so the cost of trasportation doesn't come into play most months. When it does I offer colleagues the chance to carpool so we share the cost. Even produce/bread/milk that is in a hot vehicle all the way from SA lasts longer than the stuff I get at HEB around the corner. Since there is no grocery competition in CC the prices here are much higher on non-perishables like cereal. When our family visits from out of state I ask them to stock me up. Seriously, I wondered where my mom and dad sat in the car when they came recently. I sent my grocery spreadsheet to my mom and almost every non-perishable was more expensive in CC. If I shop locally I will always try to choose a local merchant, even if it costs more up front. If something is not available in CC then I buy online. Shopping at Walmart/Sams is perpetuating the cost at the back end.

Land sold to Costco is a better deal than land sold to Walmart. Currently there are no vacant Costco stores in the US. Walmart has over 30 stores in just TX that have been vacant/abandoned for 3 years or more...some for 10 years remain vacant when Walmart goes on to build a bigger, better supercenter usually within one mile of the original store.

I think someone needs to get their heads out of the sand and offer a small incentive to bring Costco to CC.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:35 PM

286 posts, read 569,666 times
North Beach trying to grow some. Wonder how the new bridge (if the legal battles end) will affect it.
Fajitaville buys hotel for $5 million - Caller-Times

Old 06-25-2014, 02:46 PM

The Texas State Aquarium is about to just about to begin construction to double in size.

Not only is this awesome for the city, but this will also help with North Beach redevelopment.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:15 PM

135 posts, read 241,112 times
Lots of great news in Corpus and the area.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:37 PM

Harbor Bridge finalists selected

Barisi Village rezoning request to be presented to commision

Barisi Village website

Barisi Village 3D model rendering

It would be awesome if Barisi village happened. To actually have an urban, pedestrian friendly area of CC, let alone an area that could be considered a Little Italy, would be awesome. It would be a unique experience for residents and tourists alike and something unique not only to CC, but to the entire state. To think it is actually close to happening is exciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi