Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2012, 08:52 PM

9 posts, read 15,199 times

Advertisements

Howdy all, I live in the north DFW area and had a question about tornadoes. We were talking in my meterology class about how North Texas is in tornado alley, however, if you look at tornadoes by county Nueces has had A LOT more (over 80?) than a lot of the countiees that are in "torndo alley", do ya'll really get that many down there? I never pictured ya'll getting very many?
Thought it was interesting, would be awesome to get some input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 04:27 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,529 times
I think alot of the tornadic activity that is heard about, is "radar indicated", and waterspout related. Tornadoes that do happen on land are rarely above the weakest rating, due to the nature and lack of instability for that kind of development. Don't forget that any tropical system that moves through can spawn tornadoes as well (again, usually weak ones).

Old 11-06-2012, 10:23 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
txsizzler is probably right, weak tornadoes are being included in the total count.

Quote:
Tornadoes vary in intensity regardless of shape, size, and location, though strong tornadoes are typically larger than weak tornadoes. The association with track length and duration also varies, although longer track tornadoes tend to be stronger.[1] In the case of violent tornadoes, only a small portion of the path area is of violent intensity, most of the higher intensity is from subvortices.[2] In the United States, 80% of tornadoes are EF0 and EF1 (T0 through T3) tornadoes. The rate of occurrence drops off quickly with increasing strength—less than 1% are violent tornadoes(EF4, T8 or stronger).[3]
This Tornado Alley map below includes only the more violent F3-F5 tornadoes.

However I find it odd that this website Texas Tornadoes--Page 1 lists a huge number of tornadoes for Nueces County (so many that I lost count) but only 6 for Aransas County, directly to the East of it, even though the geography is very similar.

I also noticed that alot of the tornadoes listed for Nueces County are F0 and only one is F3. Whereas, Dallas County has 7 F3's.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi