U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 12:55 PM

484 posts, read 1,434,792 times

Advertisements

lucid220

I'm glad to hear you've settled in. If I didn't say so before,,, welcome to Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 11:09 PM

16 posts, read 27,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Curious on what part of Corpus you moved to? I have noticed this area to be very friendly as well. I am a caucasion male, and no matter where I go here, it seems that most folks are willing to smile and say hi, or help out if needed. Also, this area is very laid back... far more so, than from where I came from before moving to this area (N. Texas), and I have been here for nearly 4 years now.

Ian

Sorry for the delay in response... moving... bleh. We settled on the Bluff. We basically moved here for the beaches and fishing so we wanted to be as close to the water as we could afford. I have to say after being here a bit longer I'm a little bit bummed by our immediate neighbors but pretty much everyone else is fantastic. I think sometimes getting good neighbors is like poker... you can go in with a solid strategy but there's some luck involved. At least they're just passively unfriendly and not aggressively crazy obnoxious or suspicious. It's weird too because I'll ride my bike down a block or two and people are much friendlier and wave and stuff. Maybe they just hate us because our neighbors see our out of state plates haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
lucid220

I'm glad to hear you've settled in. If I didn't say so before,,, welcome to Texas.
Thank you very much!

Old 03-14-2016, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 622 times
The home owners on North Padre Island are friendly but in general do not care for tourists. The "Islanders" also don't care for Corpus Christi or people who live in Corpus Christi and travel over the bridge or "OTB." The trash left on the beach, no boating or fishing etiquette and damage to wildlife are reason enough to dislike outsiders. Good visitors are well liked and welcomed.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:33 PM

1,966 posts, read 1,524,000 times
Those local are why the REAL old locals ( me included born 1962 ) do not live there anymore..
For one they drove the prices so high we cannot afford to live there anymore even though I sometimes miss my home . They would come for vacation at first and decided to stay building HUGE overblown, over priced dwellings .
I mean seriously I can live on the Sound in Seattle cheaper and I do .
North Padre is new money on steroids wanting to show off. I tried living there 18 months and hated it . Rude blowhards.
My friends still in the area are ,depending on income, have to live in Aransas Pass, Ingleside, Portland and some in CC. All are homesick but cannot go "home" anymore . One in TAFT . ICK OMG .
We had so many great days there in PA .

Old 04-06-2016, 10:09 PM

811 posts, read 843,979 times
I'm really enjoying Port A and I think people are perfectly friendly. I'm new to "the South" and that culture as a whole, so that could be part of it, but I've found people to be exceptionally warm and welcoming here on all fronts, whether they are city officials/board members, craftsman and artisans, business owners... It's a small, very accessible community and I have felt very welcomed and encouraged to be a part of the community in my first <year here. There are a good number of highly-educated people in Port A, with UTMSI/FAMIL playing a large role in the community. This is a good thing for everyone here!

I could buy two homes on N Padre, larger than my one home on the eastside of Seattle, for the same price at which I could sell the one Seattle home (N Padre is pricier than CC-proper/downtown, but by no means expensive when looking at national prices in a myriad of other cities, ESPECIALLY considering its beach proximity). Similarly, I currently rent in Port A for less than half the price that my tenant pays to live in my Seattle area home (which is one bedroom smaller than my Port A spot), so, there again, all things are relative...

I absolutely agree that the trouble with the tourism boom in the area is - like an influx of wealthy transplants in any place - causing locals who have the jobs that make a city run (police, firemen, teachers, small business owners, servers, clerks...) to feel the pinch, and potentially look for homes outside of the city/area they work in. This is a problem in Seattle, San Fran, and a myriad of other places that are experiencing an economic boom/influx of wealth in one way or another. I've read several articles about the dangers of booming, major cities pricing their police and firemen men out of the city limits, forcing them to commute from the suburbs. It screws up a community, for sure, but it's a widespread issue, not unique to Port A. Luckily, the community in Port A is working hard to ensure that there are options for "regular", local folks. There is a sizable student population (broke college kids) at UTMSI in Port A that all manage to find comfortable yet affordable housing. Several apartment and condo complexes cater specifically to community members at prices that reflect the roles and incomes of their tenants, as opposed to charging the "market value" that is dictated by the large vacation home demand. Sure these things are unusual and have to be sought out, but it also indicates that things are not all bad. There are also a lot of business/income opportunities that come with a tourism boom. As a newcomer who is already a business owner, perhaps this is easier for me to see, but struggling folks do have a lot of opportunities in Port A to tap into a growing market. It requires some flexibility and willingness to recognize that change and growth is a part of life (perhaps it's time for some folks to switch gears/change careers). Supply and demand, as they say. The tourism/vacation home boom has also made Port A's school district one of the very richest school districts in the state. Definitely a big benefit. Sure, there are challenges, but it's still quite a bit less expensive than a lot of other places. Certainly less expensive than any other ocean-front, vacation-attraction city that I can think of!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi