U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 AM

484 posts, read 1,432,764 times

Advertisements

I was born in 1940. No, I wasn't there in 1836 but you have to remember that most of my teachers were the grandchildren of that era. The stories of the treachery, utter brutality, rape and murder, were told and re-told during my childhood because those tales were still fresh in many minds. The Mexican soldiers who came north to quell the Texas uprising were not nice men. Also, Texas history was required study in those days, I don't know what is taught in this PC age, but I'll bet they gloss over the parts that might make a Mexican kid uneasy with Mexico's past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 AM

11,431 posts, read 17,040,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
I was born in 1940. No, I wasn't there in 1836 but you have to remember that most of my teachers were the grandchildren of that era. The stories of the treachery, utter brutality, rape and murder, were told and re-told during my childhood because those tales were still fresh in many minds. The Mexican soldiers who came north to quell the Texas uprising were not nice men. Also, Texas history was required study in those days, I don't know what is taught in this PC age, but I'll bet they gloss over the parts that might make a Mexican kid uneasy with Mexico's past.
I wouldn't have a problem with telling that reality to the kids (if that was indeed the reality) as long as they also tell how Anglos institutionalized rampant discrimination and segregation throughout Texas and told how those "heroic" Texas Rangers murdered Mexicans in cold blood in the early 20th century.
I once saw my nephews' history book that described the savagery of the Aztecs, yet didn't describe the savagery of the Europeans (Inquisition, Crusades, Roman Empire). Each civilization has had their evilness. None is angelic.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:24 PM

484 posts, read 1,432,764 times
On the other hand, I am angelic.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:55 AM

22 posts, read 104,873 times
Default actually

Actually , so called hispanics and white people are both caucasian, hispanics in the America's are mostly a mix mayan, aztec, and different american tribes, many areas in Mexico speak their native tongues, if so called hispanics from here went to Spain, they would stand out like way different, because called hispanics for the sake of a poll, most really have very little spanish blood left in them , their sur names are more spanish than they are, in the Yucatan , they speak Mayan, Anyone that goes to Spain from Texas probably would have a hard time understanding them. My mother speaks Riverplate spanish, (Argentina). She is half Argentine and half german, my father is half french and half Cherekee, I am American,

Old 05-05-2013, 05:42 PM

3 posts, read 4,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcheesejay View Post
I'm not into the whole self-segregation thing or anything, I would just like to live in a more diverse area. I have accepted a job offer and will be moving to Corpus Christi in a few weeks, and I would like to live in neighborhood where I would have access to amenities like African hair stylists, churches in the National Baptist Convention, etc. I am not familiar with the city or Texas at all so any help would be appreciated, thanks. I'm very excited for the big move. I'd love to get some nice sunny weather year-round for once.

I am Black, and I have lived in South Tx for the past 11 years. I am originally from NJ. I know for a fact that all any one race, is not necessarily a good thing. I live on the other side of the bridge, and I have to travel to CC for a variety of things, but all Black, is not one of them. I have seen my current area grow more diverse, thankfully, as me and my family were one of the 3 families that were Black. The oil boom has done wonders for making my area more diverse. The problem is 'looking' for African American amenities, there are some shop, and salons, but I have found many sorely lacking, however, I have been able to uncover surprises here and there. A white guy cuts my hair better than any of the so-called black salons that I have been to in Corpus. There are Black churches, but after going to a few, I chose a non-denominational church to go to and I am very pleased. The NAACP is active, and they have partnered with the National Baptists Convention, so look them up. There is lots to see and do, and to find, but as this is South TX, some of the things that you may be used to, you will not find. I have 2 sons, and they get there their hair cut by a Mexican guy, and he is phenomenal. At the end of the day, you have to be open, and be willing to change. Ask questions, use Google, and explore.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,933 times
Default Gringos...

I'm a 36 yr old white guy, self employed, husband, father of 3, and I routinely refer to my kids as my "crazy gringos". Any white people that interpret gringo as racial, they're probably not the type of folks I'd hang out with anyways. My fam is looking to move to Texas Summer 2014 (From Ohio)and CC is a possible destination. My Mex, black friends up here that I grew up with, we poke fun at each others race/cultural differences. Hope it's loose like that down there as well.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:14 PM

56 posts, read 97,890 times
Default Port Aransas Demographics

White alone - 3,084 (88.6%)
Hispanic - 268 (7.7%)
Asian alone - 43 (1.2%)
Two or more races - 41 (1.2%)
American Indian alone - 31 (0.9%)
Black alone - 9 (0.3%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 3 (0.09%)
Other race alone - 1 (0.03%)

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Port-A...#ixzz2VOVQkT24

Port Aransas definitely appears to be majority white.. Is Port Aransas the same as North Padre Island? Is it similar to South Padre Island (mostly tourists and very few actual residents)? I see it has a school system, which SPI doesn't...

Old 06-05-2013, 10:10 PM

287 posts, read 482,186 times
Port A is not NPI. It's further north.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 PM

1,363 posts, read 2,749,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptlbc724 View Post
I'm a 36 yr old white guy, self employed, husband, father of 3, and I routinely refer to my kids as my "crazy gringos". Any white people that interpret gringo as racial, they're probably not the type of folks I'd hang out with anyways. My fam is looking to move to Texas Summer 2014 (From Ohio)and CC is a possible destination. My Mex, black friends up here that I grew up with, we poke fun at each others race/cultural differences. Hope it's loose like that down there as well.
What is your reason for the big move? Just a change of pace, job opportunities, or different scenery? What other cities are you looking at and why? What makes you interested in CC?

Personally, I have always played racial jokes with my friends also, black, white, and mexican. Most people around here don't pay much attention to race, and the only people I have heard throw out the race card are a few black people when they are in trouble with the law.

I think CC has become a lot more diverse over the last decade and continues to expand culturally and ethnically. The city is really starting to grow and is starting to attract people of all races and walks of life.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,933 times
@gabetx...Little bit of everything that you mentioned. My wife just finished up her schooling for occupational therapy last year & mentioned how much higher her field pays in Tx than Ohio. So I'd say since Jan , we've been doing our due diligence about options. Wife and I are Bringing our "gringos" (14,12,8) down to CC in Aug for the first hand experience. Planning several mini trips after that before January.

Canyon Lake, Cedar Park, Katy are other areas of interest. My son is 14 , a good football player and Katy gets a lot of attention even up here. Plus Katy is close to MD Anderson and after being diagnosed with Cancer back in May thats a factor for me to consider but I'm sure CC has good treatment centers as well.

Being near water is a big factor for me. Surfing and time on the jet ski = bliss for me. We make the best of our limited amenities up here but the variety ya'll have down there is incredible. I want that for my kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi