Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 13,567 times

Advertisements

I'm not into the whole self-segregation thing or anything, I would just like to live in a more diverse area. I have accepted a job offer and will be moving to Corpus Christi in a few weeks, and I would like to live in neighborhood where I would have access to amenities like African hair stylists, churches in the National Baptist Convention, etc. I am not familiar with the city or Texas at all so any help would be appreciated, thanks. I'm very excited for the big move. I'd love to get some nice sunny weather year-round for once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,088 times
Good luck with your move to CC!

The only true entirely black neighborhood in CC is Hillcrest just west of downtown and north of IH 37. Its not really a nice area though. Its pretty rough with a bunch of urban decay, transients, and drug sales.

Other than that, the rest of the city is pretty mixed. Blacks, Hispanics, and whites are spread out throughout the city.

CC doesn't know segregation.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-30-2013, 10:37 PM

484 posts, read 1,631,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Good luck with your move to CC!

The only true entirely black neighborhood in CC is Hillcrest just west of downtown and north of IH 37. Its not really a nice area though. Its pretty rough with a bunch of urban decay, transients, and drug sales.

Other than that, the rest of the city is pretty mixed. Blacks, Hispanics, and whites are spread out throughout the city.

CC doesn't know segregation.

Gabe, I hope that SGH-T999 isn't a semi-automatic. Congress will probably ban it soon.

bigcheesejay; Corpus may not be what you are wishing for. Our majority minority here is Hispanic. We are a medium sized city of about 280,000 folks who try very hard to ignore racial lines. Blacks represent about 5% of our total population, the rest of us are mostly beautiful brown people and a few poorly sun tanned gringos, (I think I saw a black man last year and and an Asian the year before).

I suggest you visit the listed link for a closer look at CC.
Corpus Christi Texas Demographics

Old 01-31-2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
Gabe, I hope that SGH-T999 isn't a semi-automatic. Congress will probably ban it soon.

bigcheesejay; Corpus may not be what you are wishing for. Our majority minority here is Hispanic. We are a medium sized city of about 280,000 folks who try very hard to ignore racial lines. Blacks represent about 5% of our total population, the rest of us are mostly beautiful brown people and a few poorly sun tanned gringos, (I think I saw a black man last year and and an Asian the year before).

I suggest you visit the listed link for a closer look at CC.
Corpus Christi Texas Demographics
Lol it's my cellular communication device.

Hispanic is no minority here. It's the majority. I tell you what though, I see blacks on a daily basis. I see them a lot more around town than I used to, too.

You are using 2000 demographics. CC has about 310,000 in population with about 460,000 metro. I think the black percentage is 4.4% now.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:48 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Lol it's my cellular communication device.

Hispanic is no minority here. It's the majority. I tell you what though, I see blacks on a daily basis. I see them a lot more around town than I used to, too.

You are using 2000 demographics. CC has about 310,000 in population with about 460,000 metro. I think the black percentage is 4.4% now.

Agreed, there are more blacks here than there used to be. And tons of asians (just got off the boat kind though) that seem to be concentrated in the staples/saratoga area. I knew only one asian when I was in grade school and did not have interaction with black kids until jr high due to the bussing that went on in the mid 70s.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:26 PM

Anywhere east of SH 286, (commonly known as Crosstown). Calallen, Portland, Flour Bluff, Padre Island, Aransas Pass, Port Aransas, Rockport, Orange Grove, Sinton, Ingleside....

Anywhere other than Hillcrest, the westside, or Robstown. Lol.

Corpus has a lot of white people... I really don't know why jbtx used the forsaken word 'gringos' to describe white people. Don't take that as a representation of non-whites to whites in Corpus Christi. Race is irrelevant here.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:17 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
On the City-Data Corpus Christi data page you can click on the zip code map for any area in the City and pull up the detailed data for that zip-code. //www.city-data.com/city/Corpus-Christi-Texas.html

Free USPS Lookup and Boundary Map
For areas outside of the city you can look up the zip code on the USPS zip code map and then use the City-Data zip code search here //www.city-data.com/ to find the data. Zipskinny is another source.

78410 Calallen appears to have the highest in Corpus Christi proper at 59%

Is Flour Bluff not in the CC city limits? The City-Data zip code map does not include it so I had to go to Zipskinny to find it.

78418 Flour Bluff and NPIsland is 69.6% white.

Portland (a suburb) 78374 has 60.1% to 66.5% white depending on which source you look at.

78362 Ingleside is 64.1% white.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:24 PM

286 posts, read 569,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Is Flour Bluff not in the CC city limits? The City-Data zip code map does not include it so I had to go to Zipskinny to find it.
The link for the zip code works, not sure why it doesn't work for the map.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:58 PM

484 posts, read 1,631,083 times
Gabe;
Why is the term "gringo" forsaken? Everyone here knows what it means. It is not derogatory in my mind, it simply means non-Hispanic, or in most cases, "English White". In most Spanish/Mexican-American minds, when you say "gringo", it is not the same as the bad "N" word when referring to Afro-Americans. It is not a racial slur. I don't feel insulted when someone calls me a "gringo", or when someone calls my wife a "gringeta", because that's what we are.

BTW, white folks here are referred to as "Caucasians", which is totally wrong, if you go to eastern Europe history and look up the ancestry of the people from the Caucuses, you will learn that they are considered "black" in Russian society. It's funny how this stuff get's confused.

Sometimes we take this PC BS too far. Besides,,, I'm too old to take this stuff seriously.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:47 PM

I don't find "gringos" offensive... I just think it's a stupid word. Why not just say white? I could care less about political correctness. I just don't think CC is a Mexican town like you are trying to portray it. It is not the RGV. Its majority hispanic yes, but it has an American culture with a Mexican influence, not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi