Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:28 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,966,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Najran View Post
You won't find "Grassy areas" here. Everything is burnt up or shriveled up and dried out.
No surprise. I'm coming from a truly desert state so I'm used to flat and dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 06:07 AM

1,050 posts, read 698,679 times
I don't know about apartments here really-have never needed to rent one, but I can tell you if you live on/ around Alameda, you'll be closer to some of the nicer parks in town, not all charred grass. You'll be in a prime location to take your dog on a walk and enjoy some nice gulf breezes.All along Ocean Drive there are nice places to stop and take in views of the bay. There are, as far as I know 2 HEB's on Alameda, so you probably wouldn't be far from a grocery store. This area of town is safe and quiet.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:57 PM

I'm leaning heavily (sight unseen) to Armon Bay if they have an opening. The others on the short list for now are Normandy and Bordeaux. But i'm thinking they would be older and the electric bill might be higher.

What is an average electric bill for a 1-bedroom when you are running AC if you keep it set aroud 75 while you're gone for the day? I'd leave it at 80 but I have a little dog that will be there so I don't want it to get too warm fo her. I'm also thinking about bringing a fan to put outside her crate during the day to give her a little extra air.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:04 PM

I'd call the complexes and ask about how their electricity is provided to tenants, and they may know how much bills run.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:32 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
I'm leaning heavily (sight unseen) to Armon Bay if they have an opening. The others on the short list for now are Normandy and Bordeaux. But i'm thinking they would be older and the electric bill might be higher.

What is an average electric bill for a 1-bedroom when you are running AC if you keep it set aroud 75 while you're gone for the day? I'd leave it at 80 but I have a little dog that will be there so I don't want it to get too warm fo her. I'm also thinking about bringing a fan to put outside her crate during the day to give her a little extra air.
Normandy and Bordeaux are definitely older than Armon Bay. The electricity bill will vary with exposure to the afternoon sun, whether the apartment is upstairs or downstairs, how well insulated it is and how efficient the unit is. We moved to a bigger house a couple of years ago but our electric bill didn't change at all because this house in newer, on a slab instead of pier and beam and brick instead of wood frame.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:32 PM

I realize that an apartment on the top floor is going to be warmer, but I'm thinking of the safety factor. I don't want anyone crawling in through a window if I try to leave it open when the weather is appropriate. I also would prefer not to have neighbors above me as I have had a few that walked like elephants in the past or at all hours of the night.

So I'm willig to pay the trade-off in a bit higher cooling bill to get an apartment on the top.

Since I have to do this sight unseen, do you see any difference in the orientation to the south at Bordeaux, Normandy, or Armon? I was actually thinking about asking for a north-facing apartment. But I think that's asking too much! I'll be lucky if they have a unit available when I need it... we'll see.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 AM

If you look up these locations on Google maps, you should be able to see how all the locations which would be important to you are oriented and their locations relative to each other.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:59 PM

So exploring a bit further, Armon Bay is not ona bus route to TAMUCC. Although I have a car I would prefer to commute on public transportation to campus and save the cost/hassle of parking there.

So now I'm leaning heavily to Bordeaux on Airline and Alameda. They advertise all utilities included. Hmmm....wonder if I can control my AC is they are paying for it?

Their office is closed on weekends so if anyone has more info on these, let me know!

Old 05-20-2013, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,970 times
There's several apartments on or near Ennis Joslin. Across the street there's a trail/park that is very relaxing and peaceful (called Suter Wildlife Refuge Trail). I used to go take my dog down there for a nice jog.

Not sure, but you may get more students living there since it's so close to the school. I guess there's a trade off.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:37 AM

4 posts, read 2,871 times
Hi, i was reading all the posts as I'm also concerned to find a suitable apartment for myself. I found all these helpful yet my scenario is little different. I am international grad student and will be coming out of state with two minor children this fall 2017. They need to attend elementary and middle school. I'm a single mother. I have budget and looking for one bedroom apartment. I will avail the public transport. I have to find apartment online. Can anyone help me find a suitable apartment that close to the university as well as meet my other requirements and safe and child /family friedly. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi