U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 08:33 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,627,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahminas View Post
Hi, i was reading all the posts as I'm also concerned to find a suitable apartment for myself. I found all these helpful yet my scenario is little different. I am international grad student and will be coming out of state with two minor children this fall 2017. They need to attend elementary and middle school. I'm a single mother. I have budget and looking for one bedroom apartment. I will avail the public transport. I have to find apartment online. Can anyone help me find a suitable apartment that close to the university as well as meet my other requirements and safe and child /family friedly. Thank you.
Be advised that public transportation is not great here. If you want to use public transportation, you need to live within a few blocks of Alameda Street. The #5 bus runs up and down Alameda and out to the University. There are also elementary schools and middle schools within walking distance of the #5. Or, if you're more than 2 miles from the school itself, a school bus will pick up your children. If possible, look for a apartment between Doddridge and Ennis Joslin.

I would start with The Alameda Apartments, because they're on the bus route and you can walk to a grocery store.

Another possibility is the Town and Country Apartments, which are also close to the store, but they're pretty rough looking. The rent is cheap though.

The Bordeaux and The Sterling would probably also work, but they are probably a 15-minute walk to the grocery store, but close to a bit of other shopping.

Another possibility is the Regency Square apartments, which is farther from the campus, but close to another grocery store and shopping center.

Also take a look at the Sunchase Apartments which are on the bus route, but farther from shopping centers.

The Manor House Apartments are also close to TAMUCC, but not close to any shopping.

The University also has housing options, but I don't know if they're available, or amenable to families.

Also check out the possibility of your younger child attending the ECDC school on the TAMUCC campus. It goes up to 5th grade. I think they use a lottery system to get in. Another possibility to look at is the Metro Elementary School of Design (Metro E). I think it's a lottery system also, but it's considered a good school and your kids will have transportation.

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 07:25 AM

4 posts, read 2,148 times
Thank you Marlow for the detail information. I'll definitely check out these apartments' feature and other options. University's on campus housing is not compatible with my requirements so near by apartments are the only option for me. Can you tell a little bit about the safety and security considered my children will be home by themselves at times in the areas you mentioned. I'm concerned coz You know I'll be coming from another country and want be assured.
I may get a car but to begin with i have to depend on public transport.
Thank you for you help.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Thank you Marlow for the detail information. I'll definitely check out these apartments' feature and other options. University's on campus housing is not compatible with my requirements so near by apartments are the only option for me. Can you tell a little bit about the safety and security considered my children will be home by themselves at times in the areas you mentioned. I'm concerned coz You know I'll be coming from another country and want be assured.
I may get a car but to begin with i have to depend on public transport.
Thank you for you help.
Those areas are relatively safe. We live close by and my daughter walked home a couple of blocks from the school bus when she was in middle school and we were working. I made sure she texted me as soon as she was home. The least safe-looking of the apartments I mentioned are the Town and Country and Manor House. But you'll need to come and see for yourself.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:05 AM

4 posts, read 2,148 times
Hi Marlow, Thanks again for sharing in depth. I was looking at those apartments and sent emails to check availability. let's see. As you mentioned I should be looking for apartments between Doddridge and Ennis Joslin, I also found Carmen on the map. Could you share any info on that. Do you suggest any middle school nearby coz according to google review I'm confused. how about school transportation? can i go for a little further from this area to choose schools for my kids?
Though you said Town and country is least safe looking but is it safe living? I was thinking it's also close to grocery and shopping. I'm asking a lot of questions and you have been very helpful. Thank you for all the information.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Hi Marlow, Thanks again for sharing in depth. I was looking at those apartments and sent emails to check availability. let's see. As you mentioned I should be looking for apartments between Doddridge and Ennis Joslin, I also found Carmen on the map. Could you share any info on that. Do you suggest any middle school nearby coz according to google review I'm confused. how about school transportation? can i go for a little further from this area to choose schools for my kids?
Though you said Town and country is least safe looking but is it safe living? I was thinking it's also close to grocery and shopping. I'm asking a lot of questions and you have been very helpful. Thank you for all the information.
Did you mean the Carmel Manor Apartments? Those are pretty old, but I believe they are well-maintained. To get to TAMUCC you would have to walk about 4 blocks to Alameda Street to catch the bus. I think the middle school would be either Hamlin or Baker, but I'm not sure. Of those two, I would prefer Baker. You should have your children try to test into the Gifted and Talented program if possible. It used to be called the Athena Program, but it may be called the International Baccalaureate program now. You'll have to check on the Corpus Christi Independent School District website. All of the schools in that program are good.

It's my understanding that if you live more than 2 miles from a school that you are provided transportation by bus. Unless you attend a magnet school like I discussed in my first response, or the G&T program, where your kids go to school depends on where you live.

I really don't know if the Town and Country apartments are safe or not. They're in a very good location for your needs, but they look poor and sort of run down from the outside. The Alameda Apartments look much better, at least from the outside.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:06 PM

999 posts, read 1,494,239 times
You might look at The Shores apartments. The neighborhood is reasonably safe as any in south CC. There are a lot of international students in that complex and the rent is reasonable. Not sure about which schools they are zoned for as I didn't have children while a grad student in CC. The bus to TAMUCC stops right down the street. I would recommend a unit that is not on the perimeter of the property. There were some car break ins in the parking lots right off the street. Also try not to be on the McArdle side as there are some soccer fields across the street where games go on late into the night and the lights and noise can be a bit much.
My first apartment was on Alameda. It is a better location for shopping if you don't have a car. But I didn't like the neighborhood as much and the apartments I could afford were not very nice. The Sterling apartments are horrible old buildings even though they have been recently renovated. I don't know much about the Alameda apartments but the location would be ideal without a car for shopping.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:24 PM

12 posts, read 15,647 times
The Caribbean Apartments at 4301 Gulfbreeze Blvd. on North Beach are just one block from the bay beach and the Corpus Christi Beachwalk, a 1.5-mile-long concrete trail along the beach. Great place to walk dogs. The Portland dog park is about 6 miles to the north on Moore Ave. The Caribbean rents for $800-$1,000/month all bills paid including cable, water, electric. Some of the tenants are a bit sketchy, but most of them are just workers who leave early and come home after work. It's a 11 miles (22 minute drive) up Ocean Drive to TAMUCC from here. Number for the Caribbean is 361-904-0262. Talk to David or Nisha, the owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi