U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 06:21 PM

484 posts, read 1,450,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Annyway, in your honest opinion, what are your pros and cons of Corpus?
I'm prolly not a good person to ask this question because I like the things in CC that others hate. I like the weather, I like that it is near the seashore, I like the small town feel, I like that I can be almost any place in town in 20 minutes or less, I like that traffic is light most of the day. There is a rush hour that lasts about an hour, but I'm retired so I don't have to fight traffic if I don't want to. I like that I feel safe in my neighborhood. As I mentioned, I'm retired but my wife is still teaching at the city college so we are staying put for the time being. But even if she was not working I don't know where else I'd rather live because we have family here.

The only cons I have are; a) our dinky little airport. It's called Corpus Christi International but to go anywhere you first have to fly to Houston or Dallas, there are very limited destinations served from CCIA, b) I think our property taxes are too high for the services we get, and c) insurance rates are a bit on the steep side.

Other than those things, CC is an OK place to live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 03:31 PM

8,707 posts, read 9,445,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumbacutie1 View Post
Hey all! Just wondering if anyone locals from Oahu (or anywhere in Hawaii) have moved to Texas, and if so, could you please tell me your experience, having lived there. My bf and I are going to be moving there temporarily in about 3 weeks for about a month or two to Corpus.. we'll be with great friends who moved there about 6 months ago who really want us to stay with them, and we definitely want to check Tx out soo bad!).. We also really want to check out Houston/Sugar Land big time as well), After our short stay in Corpus, we're going to move to NY to be closer to his family/he could go to grad school. I haven't visited Tx (yet), and will "visit"/live there temporarily for a pretty short amount of time. The cost of living in Tx is ridiculously alluring, and even without a job or a job (yet), I know I will be doing just peachy and I'm definitely lookin forward to affordable 'non-imported-everything' food/items/everything lol ;-)

My question is, What are the pros and cons of living in Corpus and/or Tx?Anything I should know? I'm totally excited about moving.. sooo excited and I've BEEN SOOO ready to movie from Hawaii and then some.. since, well, at least 10 years and I'm only 26 lol (born and raised in Honolulu btw).

Thanks for the input in advance!

I can understand your wanting to get out and explore, I think thats great. There are certain things unique to Hawaii you will grow to miss, but have fun....

Old 06-16-2013, 08:33 PM

83 posts, read 106,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
I'm prolly not a good person to ask this question because I like the things in CC that others hate. I like the weather, I like that it is near the seashore, I like the small town feel, I like that I can be almost any place in town in 20 minutes or less, I like that traffic is light most of the day. There is a rush hour that lasts about an hour, but I'm retired so I don't have to fight traffic if I don't want to. I like that I feel safe in my neighborhood. As I mentioned, I'm retired but my wife is still teaching at the city college so we are staying put for the time being. But even if she was not working I don't know where else I'd rather live because we have family here.

The only cons I have are; a) our dinky little airport. It's called Corpus Christi International but to go anywhere you first have to fly to Houston or Dallas, there are very limited destinations served from CCIA, b) I think our property taxes are too high for the services we get, and c) insurance rates are a bit on the steep side.

Other than those things, CC is an OK place to live.
Hi Jbtx! That doesn't sound too bad at all and it seems like a nice place to live. It's great to hear that traffic isn't that bad.. I currently fight an hour of rush hour traffic after work in Hawaii, but if the traffic is generally light, that is usually good news. We aren't going do much travelling as we are saving more money, but we have no problem needing to fly out from Houston or somewhere else. I'm also very happy to hear that it's safe... I was very concerned about that as Crime in CC didn't get a good rating on a website that I was looking at.. I believe it ranked "D".. scary! Anyway, thanks for your info!

Old 06-16-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I can understand your wanting to get out and explore, I think thats great. There are certain things unique to Hawaii you will grow to miss, but have fun....
There are things that I'll miss in Hawaii and my list is VERY short:

My Family
Friends.. (but they are all on the mainland, ha so either way I'd miss them)
Sushi (but sushi is everywhere.. but there are certain sushi types/styles in HI that I absolutely love!)
Pho (same as sushi comment.. but this one really shouldn't be on the list bc there is a huge pop of Vietnamese in Houston and in other areas of the country).

LOL and uh... well.. I think that's about it! So I'll manly miss just my family. Everything else will take time to replace but is totally doable. I think I will be JUUUUST fiiiine

Old 06-16-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
There are things that I'll miss in Hawaii and my list is VERY short:

My Family
Friends.. (but they are all on the mainland, ha so either way I'd miss them)
Sushi (but sushi is everywhere.. but there are certain sushi types/styles in HI that I absolutely love!)
Pho (same as sushi comment.. but this one really shouldn't be on the list bc there is a huge pop of Vietnamese in Houston and in other areas of the country).

LOL and uh... well.. I think that's about it! So I'll manly miss just my family. Everything else will take time to replace but is totally doable. I think I will be JUUUUST fiiiine

I'll give ya 5-7 years....

Old 06-16-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I'll give ya 5-7 years....
Haha, what a wanna-be troll you are, you are too cute! Well darlin, let me just say, you don't know me and I am far from the typical local Hawaii gal, so your input on this really has no credibility, validity or basis to stand on whatsoever

And as mentioned previously, I am planning on moving to CC temporarily as I will be moving to a different state after several months, so as I stated in my prior post, I wasn't planning on staying there forever. And that will be on MY own volition, not bc I couldn't hack it

Old 06-17-2013, 05:18 AM

484 posts, read 1,450,695 times
Quote:
I was very concerned about that as Crime in CC didn't get a good rating on a website that I was looking at.. I believe it ranked "D".. scary! Anyway, thanks for your info!
Like most cities crime seems to be an issue in certain areas, we DO have our ghetto area that we avoid at all costs. Once you get here almost any resident can map it out for you.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:21 AM

16,434 posts, read 19,972,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
Like most cities crime seems to be an issue in certain areas, we DO have our ghetto area that we avoid at all costs. Once you get here almost any resident can map it out for you.
Robstown?

Old 06-17-2013, 10:04 AM

4,131 posts, read 6,623,574 times
OK I'm not going to say much more about Joel Osteen. You know enough about Jesus's teachings to judge the guy's business for yourself. I guess at least he's not a conservative nutjob like some evangelicals

Quote:
Also, with regards to Austin.. My bf and I don't drink or smoke (been there, done that then retired.. if I had not quit, we'd be partyin til next Thursday and then some lol), so we won't fit in with the crazy drunken baffoons of Austin, as I've heard and met people who have said it's a huge party university city. Second, Sugar Land as I've heard from friends who live in Houston, people who have visited Sugar Land, and from my own research, is the Pleasantville-type of Texas, and bein that we live in Mililani Mauka (aka one of the ONLY, NICE and non-ghetto, and safe suburbs of Hawaii.. And as you know there is no real 'suburb' in Hawaii except Mililani Mauka, where all the houses look so uniform and well-taken care of, etc. Kind of how I'd imagine Sugar Land to be). I love the fact that Mililani Mauka is very family-oriented in the sense where it has 7 rec centers in less than 5 minutes of each other, and parks are filled with some sort of child's sports activity every weekend (and also, where it is mandatory to cut your hedges trees, pay Mililani Town associations for those rec centers and other town activities/exercise classes etc, otherwise you will be fined) Sugar Land only seems like the most logical decision as it seems very similar to Mililani Mauka. I don't care if people say Sugar Land is "boring", we're not looking to get shmammered every night nor are we looking to meet a bunch of rowdy or disorderly people. Again, we've been there done that with the partying, and if we wanted to live in a rowdy city, we'd move back to Waikiki.. HA.. walking our dog in the morning and see the freakin iceheads passed out with his ice pipe right on the Ala Wai Blvd.. yeah right. And pay $2000/mo for a 1 br. We want a SAFE, of course clean, quiet area to live. If I want to see excitement, I'll drive there, but I don't want my home sanctuary to be a party.
I think your conception of Austin is way off, similar to how many mainlanders think of Hawaii. It's not a party town, it's a great city that functions well because quality of life is prioritized. In Austin you can live in a safe urban neighborhood, similar to the towns in Hawaii, and be able to walk to shops and parks very easily. Austin has an outdoorsy culture similar to Hawaii, which Houston definitely does not. When I go out on my longboard in Houston, people look at me like I'm an alien, but not so in Austin. It was 90 degrees outside last week and we had a short outdoor activity at my office... The way people were complaining you'd think it was 110F. Houstonians just like to go from their offices to their air conditioned cars to their houses.

Quote:
Also.. this is kind of back-tracking.. but when you said the traffic is bad in Houston.. look, first off.. y'all got 5 lanes of traffic all the time and y'all actually know how to drive dammit, at least 70 on the freeway (which is my cruise control here, but I have to look out for the cops all the time). And whoever designed the roads in Hawaii back in the pre-historic days, waaay waaay understimated the fact that "hey! more people may live here in the future.. but, "ah brah that won't happen..let's just make em 3 lanes cuz".. so guess what. Hawaii mainly has 3 lanes the majority of the time.. But at variable times (I don't know when that is cause I don't keep track), they make a shoulder lane as one of the lanes (so we have 4) bc we are so stinkin short on space (and that is ghetto.. come on! it would take 10 years to build that extra lane anyway as HI construction workers are lazy as f* so we're better off with that ghetto shoulder as the lane).. Second, the flow of traffic is (I'm sure) a lot better than Honolulu is. Based on statistical data from last year, Hawaii was voted the worst traffic in the nation. The only reason LA was voted the nation's worst traffic for 2013 (it is still supposed to be Hawaii), is because people LIVING in LA simply "rated" the traffic as being the worst in the nation. People still drive a sh-t-ton faster in LA than they do in Hawaii, so the congestion may look similar, but overall, Hawaii scores way worse. Hawaii statistically, and based on how LONG it takes (minute wise) to get to city-to-city has by far ranked the worst in the nation than LA does. It also doesn't help the fact that we have everyone here on "Hawaiian Time" so people drive retardedly slower *(and move at a slower pace in general, you know what I'm talkin about here) than most geriatric patients who aren't even cleared to drive. People drive fast on the mainland which I freakin love. And they use their horns. Double love, although I am a petite Japanese girl so my bf said don't use the horn cause people will break me in the quickness, haha.
Yeah I've been stuck in Honolulu traffic which was a culture shock after being on Maui for over a year with zero traffic. But it's nothing like Houston. The gridlock may be just as bad in Honolulu but the distances are much shorter. The suburbs in Houston are a LONG way from downtown.

BTW in my experience, "island time" is a myth. People in Hawaii are just as punctual and hard working as people anywhere on the mainland and anywhere in the world for that matter.

Quote:
And you want to talk about expensive? Living in Waikiki for almost 2 years.. I can tell you what expensive is. $10 for a gallon of milk? Weekly grocery shopping at the Food Pantry (no that's not a donation place, it is the food shopping destination for the residents living in Waikiki, who pay $10 for milk!) .. I doubt milk prices in TX are even half that, and even if it is, the overall cost of food will be so much cheaper as everything is not imported from everywhere else of the world. Things like $8 for a Lean Cuisine as opposed to $4 at Safeway? Things like that add up.. and again, $2,000 for a 2 br in condo in Waikiki.. I can be in a 4 bedroom home in NICE part of Texas with more than likely HIGH ceilings (those are non-existent in Hawaii), with a HUGE yard and a 2 car garage. Anyway I could go on.. but this is already a 50 page novel so I'll stop lol.

[/end]
Guess what a 2 bedroom condo costs in a trendy part of Houston... $2000 at least. Guess what milk costs in Downtown Houston. Oh you can't buy milk in downtown because there are NO GROCERY STORES!

Anyway, the point is you don't want to live in Houston. Corpus is a nice place from what I've seen and you can visit Houston and see how terrible it is.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Haha, what a wanna-be troll you are, you are too cute! Well darlin, let me just say, you don't know me and I am far from the typical local Hawaii gal, so your input on this really has no credibility, validity or basis to stand on whatsoever

And as mentioned previously, I am planning on moving to CC temporarily as I will be moving to a different state after several months, so as I stated in my prior post, I wasn't planning on staying there forever. And that will be on MY own volition, not bc I couldn't hack it
I'm not judging you at all or Hawaiians just human nature. People tend to gravitate back to where they are from. You may not miss it for 5 years but you will. The draw of family when you are 26 is not as strong as when you are 36......but again have fun!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi