Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 03:08 AM

83 posts, read 120,484 times

Advertisements

Hey all! Just wondering if anyone locals from Oahu (or anywhere in Hawaii) have moved to Texas, and if so, could you please tell me your experience, having lived there. My bf and I are going to be moving there temporarily in about 3 weeks for about a month or two to Corpus.. we'll be with great friends who moved there about 6 months ago who really want us to stay with them, and we definitely want to check Tx out soo bad!).. We also really want to check out Houston/Sugar Land big time as well), After our short stay in Corpus, we're going to move to NY to be closer to his family/he could go to grad school. I haven't visited Tx (yet), and will "visit"/live there temporarily for a pretty short amount of time. The cost of living in Tx is ridiculously alluring, and even without a job or a job (yet), I know I will be doing just peachy and I'm definitely lookin forward to affordable 'non-imported-everything' food/items/everything lol ;-)

My question is, What are the pros and cons of living in Corpus and/or Tx?Anything I should know? I'm totally excited about moving.. sooo excited and I've BEEN SOOO ready to movie from Hawaii and then some.. since, well, at least 10 years and I'm only 26 lol (born and raised in Honolulu btw).

Thanks for the input in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 02:58 PM

484 posts, read 1,631,815 times
The big advantage of living in Texas vs Oahu, is that you can drive in a single direction for more than 25 miles without having to double back to your starting point. When I lived on Oahu that was my biggest complaint. The Island was so small. I got rock happy real quick. You do realize we have ranches in Texas that you can't drive around in a day.

Welcome to Texas, I hope your stay is enjoyable.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:42 PM

Hey there Jbtx! Thanks for replying. Yes, Hawaii is WAAAY too small.. amongst other things. It just plain sucks to me. Are you originally from Hawaii? My bf said one of the first things we’re going to do is go to a Nascar event and a Rodeo..LOL yeehaw ;-) That is as far as Hawaii as you can get, haha.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:43 PM

No, Darlin'; I'm a native Texican, born in Dallas, raised mostly in east Texas around Tyler.

I spent almost 6 years in Hawaii stationed at Pearl Harbor,,, I was a sailor. Hated every minute of it.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
No, Darlin'; I'm a native Texican, born in Dallas, raised mostly in east Texas around Tyler.

I spent almost 6 years in Hawaii stationed at Pearl Harbor,,, I was a sailor. Hated every minute of it.
Ohhh, well you're lucky you only spend 6 years of your life there. I've been here for 26 years (I'm 26 years old btw haha)..born and raised here, not by choice lol and I hate every second of it lol. Even though I'm a local, I have not once spoke a word of pidgin (only to mock people but even then I suck at it), rice and gravy on eveerrrything sucks (omg no rice? I'm Japanese too.. so suurrrpriise! No stereotype here, haha ), school system/government/people suck here (fake aloha.. whatever! ), and just the culture of hawaii just sucks period. I so cannot wait to go to Tx!! Early July cannot come any sooner and I can't wait!

You're soo lucky you're out! Lol. I will be in Tx soon and cant wait to go to Six Flags, see Joel Osteen!! and live a very happy and comfortable life!!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:41 PM

omg~! I love Japanese, I fell in love with Japan on a visit to Yokohama/Yokosuka, (it might have been all of the beautiful girls). One of the things I miss most in CC is good Japanese food. I can cook good rice at home, but I can't do a decent tempura to save my soul, and I've never mastered the noodle thing. How do you say in Japanese,,, "with rice"? I think that's the riddle. Sushi is another word for "bait" in Texas.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Corpus. Please let us know how it goes.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:02 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
I'm from Texas and I just moved back to Houston from Maui. Please for the love of Pele don't ever move to Houston/Sugarland!!

Texas is a mostly nice, but Houston is the absolute worst part of the state. Cost of living is very high in the city (like Honolulu), very difficult to get around with public transit (Unlike Honolulu with The Bus) or walking, it's a giant sprawl with long commutes if you live in the cheap suburbs, and there are many of what I call "Houston Hobbits". They think Houston is the best city on earth because they've never bothered to live anywhere else (yes there are people like that in Hawaii too). It's significantly worse than other cities with no good excuse except lack of foresight/planning.

Go and visit Austin, walk around the neighborhoods, go to the Greenbelt and hike. I guarantee you will fall in love with the city.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:07 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
I don't get the Joel Osteen thing. Megachurches represent the worst of modern Christianity, mega-commercialization. What would Jesus do? Not be a millionaire. Remember when he drove the salesmen and bankers out of the temple?

Old 06-15-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I'm from Texas and I just moved back to Houston from Maui. Please for the love of Pele don't ever move to Houston/Sugarland!!

Texas is a mostly nice, but Houston is the absolute worst part of the state. Cost of living is very high in the city (like Honolulu), very difficult to get around with public transit (Unlike Honolulu with The Bus) or walking, it's a giant sprawl with long commutes if you live in the cheap suburbs, and there are many of what I call "Houston Hobbits". They think Houston is the best city on earth because they've never bothered to live anywhere else (yes there are people like that in Hawaii too). It's significantly worse than other cities with no good excuse except lack of foresight/planning.

Go and visit Austin, walk around the neighborhoods, go to the Greenbelt and hike. I guarantee you will fall in love with the city.
Quote:
I don't get the Joel Osteen thing. Megachurches represent the worst of modern Christianity, mega-commercialization. What would Jesus do? Not be a millionaire. Remember when he drove the salesmen and bankers out of the temple?
Lol.. ok, I'd normally be very happy that someone wrote to me.. but you did not just diss Joel Osteen (and Houston).. mmhm.. .. He is an AMAZING man, and I will NOT go into preaching for all the things he has done.. but seriously, he has done way better things for people, more than half of the selfish human-zombies who just daily go through the motion of life who only care about themselves (every man for himself) . And just because Joel is a millionaire doesn't mean that he is a bad person. God doesn't say that "we have to live in poverty/poor to show how humble we are". According to the Bible, GOD WANTS us to succeed and prosper, not to live in lack.. that's stupid and martyr-like behavior for no reason! He died for us because He wanted us to have a good life. And you can't make it seem like Joel Osteen doesn't give back a TON of his money through charitable donations/funds because he does. He deserves every penny that he has earned because he is doing a tremendously positive thing for people who believe in God, and for believers in him. Sure, to outsiders it may seem excessive that he has a lot of money, but so what? Who are you to judge? Again, he is doing such great things for Christians, and he is a living example that WE can do all things through God.

I mean, it was my fault for putting him out there like that, but just can't help but feel so happy by how he has helped me changed my life around.. and then some. Also about donations.. it's a church, people donate tons of money, and ALL on their own volition. There's no brain-washing nor any coercion of sorts. People donate because 1) they want to and 2) they feel that the more they donate the more they are blessed. They tell you to only 'tithe' the first 10%.. do you know how much some people tithe? .. um some tithe $800 or $2,000 at a time, so it's not like you go to church and they tell you a set amount to tithe. Anything after that and people themselves "do it cause they want to feel more blessed". That's just my take on it [/end preach].

Also, with regards to Austin.. My bf and I don't drink or smoke (been there, done that then retired.. if I had not quit, we'd be partyin til next Thursday and then some lol), so we won't fit in with the crazy drunken baffoons of Austin, as I've heard and met people who have said it's a huge party university city. Second, Sugar Land as I've heard from friends who live in Houston, people who have visited Sugar Land, and from my own research, is the Pleasantville-type of Texas, and bein that we live in Mililani Mauka (aka one of the ONLY, NICE and non-ghetto, and safe suburbs of Hawaii.. And as you know there is no real 'suburb' in Hawaii except Mililani Mauka, where all the houses look so uniform and well-taken care of, etc. Kind of how I'd imagine Sugar Land to be). I love the fact that Mililani Mauka is very family-oriented in the sense where it has 7 rec centers in less than 5 minutes of each other, and parks are filled with some sort of child's sports activity every weekend (and also, where it is mandatory to cut your hedges trees, pay Mililani Town associations for those rec centers and other town activities/exercise classes etc, otherwise you will be fined) Sugar Land only seems like the most logical decision as it seems very similar to Mililani Mauka. I don't care if people say Sugar Land is "boring", we're not looking to get shmammered every night nor are we looking to meet a bunch of rowdy or disorderly people. Again, we've been there done that with the partying, and if we wanted to live in a rowdy city, we'd move back to Waikiki.. HA.. walking our dog in the morning and see the freakin iceheads passed out with his ice pipe right on the Ala Wai Blvd.. yeah right. And pay $2000/mo for a 1 br. We want a SAFE, of course clean, quiet area to live. If I want to see excitement, I'll drive there, but I don't want my home sanctuary to be a party.

Also.. this is kind of back-tracking.. but when you said the traffic is bad in Houston.. look, first off.. y'all got 5 lanes of traffic all the time and y'all actually know how to drive dammit, at least 70 on the freeway (which is my cruise control here, but I have to look out for the cops all the time). And whoever designed the roads in Hawaii back in the pre-historic days, waaay waaay understimated the fact that "hey! more people may live here in the future.. but, "ah brah that won't happen..let's just make em 3 lanes cuz".. so guess what. Hawaii mainly has 3 lanes the majority of the time.. But at variable times (I don't know when that is cause I don't keep track), they make a shoulder lane as one of the lanes (so we have 4) bc we are so stinkin short on space (and that is ghetto.. come on! it would take 10 years to build that extra lane anyway as HI construction workers are lazy as f* so we're better off with that ghetto shoulder as the lane).. Second, the flow of traffic is (I'm sure) a lot better than Honolulu is. Based on statistical data from last year, Hawaii was voted the worst traffic in the nation. The only reason LA was voted the nation's worst traffic for 2013 (it is still supposed to be Hawaii), is because people LIVING in LA simply "rated" the traffic as being the worst in the nation. People still drive a sh-t-ton faster in LA than they do in Hawaii, so the congestion may look similar, but overall, Hawaii scores way worse. Hawaii statistically, and based on how LONG it takes (minute wise) to get to city-to-city has by far ranked the worst in the nation than LA does. It also doesn't help the fact that we have everyone here on "Hawaiian Time" so people drive retardedly slower *(and move at a slower pace in general, you know what I'm talkin about here) than most geriatric patients who aren't even cleared to drive. People drive fast on the mainland which I freakin love. And they use their horns. Double love, although I am a petite Japanese girl so my bf said don't use the horn cause people will break me in the quickness, haha.

And you want to talk about expensive? Living in Waikiki for almost 2 years.. I can tell you what expensive is. $10 for a gallon of milk? Weekly grocery shopping at the Food Pantry (no that's not a donation place, it is the food shopping destination for the residents living in Waikiki, who pay $10 for milk!) .. I doubt milk prices in TX are even half that, and even if it is, the overall cost of food will be so much cheaper as everything is not imported from everywhere else of the world. Things like $8 for a Lean Cuisine as opposed to $4 at Safeway? Things like that add up.. and again, $2,000 for a 2 br in condo in Waikiki.. I can be in a 4 bedroom home in NICE part of Texas with more than likely HIGH ceilings (those are non-existent in Hawaii), with a HUGE yard and a 2 car garage. Anyway I could go on.. but this is already a 50 page novel so I'll stop lol.

[/end]

Last edited by zumbacutie1; 06-15-2013 at 12:57 PM..

Old 06-15-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
omg~! I love Japanese, I fell in love with Japan on a visit to Yokohama/Yokosuka, (it might have been all of the beautiful girls). One of the things I miss most in CC is good Japanese food. I can cook good rice at home, but I can't do a decent tempura to save my soul, and I've never mastered the noodle thing. How do you say in Japanese,,, "with rice"? I think that's the riddle. Sushi is another word for "bait" in Texas.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Corpus. Please let us know how it goes.
I love Japan/Japanese stuff too.. I've only recently embraced my Japanese culture in the last several years. For a minute there I didn't want to be Japanese but I've realized that just the amazing food, culture, work ethic, electronics, cars, etc are pretty phenomenal and I should be proud of my mothaland and people lol ;-) I'm pretty Americanized though and my bf revokes my "Japanese" card all the time, lol, but we will both learn Japanese and will travel to Japan one day. I hate the fact that they are super racist there though, as my bf is a light skinned and handsome Puerto Rican guy. They don't like anything that is not pure Japanese/Japanese made (I'm sure you know the history.. you know, ... how Japan wanted to take over the world.. racial superiority.. oh ya know.. that sort of thing ? LOL ). But to be honest, they more than likely won't like me either because I am 1/4 Okinawan and 2) I'm not native to Japan even though I look pure Japanese. Oh well, we're goin there as "Gaijin" (foreigners) and aren't there to care what the natives think. I do want to do $1 karaoke though.. woo! LoL.`` I also definitely want to go people watching in Shibuya.. that is seriously like a sport or a hobby for so many people as that city is notorious to have some of the freaks of life dressed up to "show off" their outrageous clothing/hair/whatever styles. It's crazy.. (google it!) lol. I want to see that in person one day!

Tempura definitely is very difficult to cook.. My grandma (who was Okinawan but spoke Japanese and Okinawan) had to show my Japanese American Mom how to cook Tempura.. there is a very specific technique to it, and most people think that Tempura is just you put it in the frying pan and voila. Um, no. Not that easy at all.. It is very easy to overcook the tempura and you need to make sure the oil isn't too hot at all times, and to precisely remove the tempura from the oil... you also set it in ice/ice water as part of one of the steps to make it (for Shrimp Tempura), and you don't want to leave it in there too long as well.. it's a very delicate balance that even I myself have not learned fully.

Lol I was going to ask you "What do you mean sushi means bait" but I got it.. the raw fish is used as bait to get other fishes.. haha, well sht if it's good "bait" (aka Hamachi, Maguro, and especially Uni, sea urchin.. my fave and one of the most expensive, put it on some nori (seaweed) and whte (brown rice preferably but lol whatever) and call it a day!

Annyway, in your honest opinion, what are your pros and cons of Corpus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi