Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,945 times

Advertisements

Hello,

If all goes well, our family will be moving to CC. My husband applied for a transfer with his company to the Naval Base. The problem is, I have never been to Corpus, don't know anything about it (good schools, nice neighborhoods, that sort of thing). We are a family of 6, my husband and me, and our 4 kids: 10yr old, 8, 4 and 2 yr old. As with any city, I'm sure there is the nicer part of town, the "bad" side of town with gangs and crime, the better schools, the not so good schools. I've been doing some research on the internet and we plan to take a drive out there soon just to explore. Can someone give me some insight? Basically, what's the best place to raise a family. I've also read that Calallen ISD is a pretty good school district and my husband doesn't mind the drive to work and back. We've lived in San Antonio, TX before where he would drive quite the distance to work so the drive isn't really a deal breaker. Any info is good info. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 11:58 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
The Navy Base is on the North side of the bay, there is also a Naval Air Station on the South side. I assume you mean the base.

Calallen is good. Portland, which is only a few miles West from the Ingleside Navy base is considered one of the better neighborhoods.

15 miles NE up Aransas Bay is one of the nicest communities along the Texas coast, Rockport, TX. Personally I prefer it over anyplace I've seen in Corpus. I understand it has really good schools also.

Texas School Performance Maps

You should read the //www.city-data.com/forum/corpu...fo-thread.html lots of good information there for someone new to the area.

We live in Austin but kept a sailboat at Rockport for 3 years and spent a lot of time exploring the area. We still take a vacation to Rockport almost every spring.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:15 PM

484 posts, read 1,631,647 times
I'm pretty sure the Ingleside Navy base has been closed for some time now. In fact I've heard for a good source that the base land area has been sold to Oxy Chem for a future LPG plant. NAS Corpus Christi is still in business.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:00 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
I'm pretty sure the Ingleside Navy base has been closed for some time now. In fact I've heard for a good source that the base land area has been sold to Oxy Chem for a future LPG plant. NAS Corpus Christi is still in business.
Interesting, I did not know that. I see the Wiki says they ended operations in 2010, that spring was around the last time we drove by there and the gates looked manned at that time. It is odd I never saw anything in the paper about it closing.

In that case the Southside of Corpus Christi is a good location for the OP. CalAllen is a great place to live to for families, but it is a longer commute.

Last edited by CptnRn; 06-19-2013 at 11:06 AM..

Old 06-19-2013, 10:30 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Interesting, I did not know that.
Yup, NAS Ingleside has been closed for years already. Oxy Chem purchased most of the land. For OP. I live in Calallen and work in Flour Bluff. Its a 27 minute commute to Flour Bluff and 27 minutes back. So its not that bad of a commute.

As far as a more detailed post... Ill get around to it when I have time. I have to get ready for work right now.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:09 AM

Thanks, Gabe, for the confirmation. My eldest son's gf has been an accountant for Oxy Chem for years, she is my source for Oxy's purchase of the Ingleside base. I sure it's a done deal.

I didn't know it was a secret.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:16 AM

Its no secret. It was all over the Caller Times a few months ago.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:00 PM

yeah, well,,, who the f reads the Caller Times?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
yeah, well,,, who the f reads the Caller Times?
Well... since they started charging... even though their articles are stories from days ago... nobody. Lol.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:24 AM

gabe,,, I tried to increase your reputation but is says I have to spread it around before I can give it to you. Just know that I value your input for the CC board... Stay safe out there. I think you are one of the good guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi