Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 01:59 PM

54 posts, read 305,544 times

Advertisements

Gonna spend Spring Break in Corpus with the family and wanted to eat at restaurants with good food, that aren't overpriced.
I hate going somewhere that costs too much simply because you are on vacation!

Any ideas? Has anybody eaten in Corpus (or if you are from Corpus) and you'd recommend certain places?

Thanks -- the C-D folks are always so helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 02:36 PM

808 posts, read 3,646,717 times
You'll want to stay away from the beach areas...ordinarily, I would suggest Snoopy's Pier, but it will probably be way too packed as it is on the road to the Island. Try La Playa on SPID (I think at the Rodd Field Road exit) and Senor Jaime's near Staples and Gollihar.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:54 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
My favorite is Black Diamond Oyster Bar. This article seems to agree with me and has some other great suggestions as well (including La Playa as awcelot mentioned). I like Snoopy's too!

Top 10 Restaurants in Corpus Christi, Texas - Associated Content

My favorite place for breakfast is Taqueria Jalisco.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:56 PM

244 posts, read 803,764 times
Hu Dat for sure. Affordable and great viatnamese food. Staples and Saratoga in Saratoga Town Center. Also try Nuevo Cafe for lunch (make sure to order a bowl of poblano soup) and Price's Chef for breakfast (awesome little diner in the Six Points area).

Old 02-21-2009, 09:13 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
Cafe Maya (across from Christus Spohn Memorial)-the shrimp cocktail, mexican style, served in a goblet stuffed with fresh tomato, avocado, cilantro, onions, shrimp, is a meal in itself, with saltines. a cool refreshing summer meal. ah....the ONE and ONLY thing I miss about Corpus

Old 02-21-2009, 10:21 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
You'll want to stay away from the beach areas...ordinarily, I would suggest Snoopy's Pier, but it will probably be way too packed as it is on the road to the Island. Try La Playa on SPID (I think at the Rodd Field Road exit) and Senor Jaime's near Staples and Gollihar.
The La Playa location at Rodd Field is closed - there is another on SPID, I think between Kostoryz & Weber. Great food - only place I've ever seen a stuffed deep fried avocado. They have the standard Mexican Food but their specialty is Mexican Riviera Seafood. Outstanding unusual dishes. It's got to be one of the best places in Corpus. I also like Blackbeards on North Beach (big purple building), North Beach (Aquarium and USS Lexington) is a nice area. VERY well priced, large selection and dependable seafood. This is where I get my fried shrimp fix when I'm in Corpus. We stumbled on it a year or so ago but it's been around a long time. Huge menu, we've never been disappointed

The old Torch restaraunt on S. Alameda was taken over by a Greek family several years ago. I haven't been disappointed with anything I've had there. Prime rib is a specialty and it's always cooked correctly. Very reasonable with daily specials. My folks love it there. Prices Chef and Andy's Kitchen are institutions but both no longer owned by the orgininating families of course. Hu Dat is good. Water Street Seafood Co/ Oyster bar (on Water St.), downtown has very good seafood - the Yard Arm (on Ocean Dr) is probably my very favorite but it is a bit more expensive.

Shell's Pasta & Seafood is a favorite in Port A. Very small dining area but large deck - it can be hard to get in but it is a bit off the beaten path and one of the best places to eat in Port A.Trip Advisor reviews

Corpus can be crazy during Spring Break - they flock there from all over the state. The biggest crowds will be in Port A. Have a good time.

K

Old 02-21-2009, 10:52 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I'll add The Executive Surf Club which is downtown, next to the Water Street restaurants. We also like Sultan, out Staples past Saratoga, but it's a bit on the expensive side. And B&J's pizza--both locations are good, but we're partial to the one on SPID just past Airline.

To the locals: Have you been to the Santa Rosa, a new Mexican place on Staples near Del Mar? I went for the first time this week and yum! They have these Mexican taquitos which are small corn tortillas fried a bit and topped with chopped beef or chicken that's been sauteed with onions and topped with white cheese and cilantro. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:12 AM
SOM

124 posts, read 480,948 times
Try La Bahia downtown (right down the hill from CC Cathedral) for awesome breakfasts. The Mexican omelete (7B on the menu!) with bacon is the best omelete I've ever had.

For the best breakfast taquitos in South Texas (and therefore the world) head to El Mesquite, a hole in the wall at Airline & Williams. I get the potato-egg-bacon-cheese, and the potato-egg-brisket. A worthwhile, off the beaten track local dive.

Origami is a reasonable Japanese restaurant, on Airline near McCardle. The shrimp tempura / chicken teriyaki combo is around $10 and yummy (and filling). Good sushi too.

I'm gonna have to try Cafe Maya!

Old 02-22-2009, 03:12 PM

808 posts, read 3,646,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The La Playa location at Rodd Field is closed - there is another on SPID, I think between Kostoryz & Weber. Great food - only place I've ever seen a stuffed deep fried avocado. They have the standard Mexican Food but their specialty is Mexican Riviera Seafood. Outstanding unusual dishes. It's got to be one of the best places in Corpus. I also like Blackbeards on North Beach (big purple building), North Beach (Aquarium and USS Lexington) is a nice area. VERY well priced, large selection and dependable seafood. This is where I get my fried shrimp fix when I'm in Corpus. We stumbled on it a year or so ago but it's been around a long time. Huge menu, we've never been disappointed

The old Torch restaraunt on S. Alameda was taken over by a Greek family several years ago. I haven't been disappointed with anything I've had there. Prime rib is a specialty and it's always cooked correctly. Very reasonable with daily specials. My folks love it there. Prices Chef and Andy's Kitchen are institutions but both no longer owned by the orgininating families of course. Hu Dat is good. Water Street Seafood Co/ Oyster bar (on Water St.), downtown has very good seafood - the Yard Arm (on Ocean Dr) is probably my very favorite but it is a bit more expensive.

Shell's Pasta & Seafood is a favorite in Port A. Very small dining area but large deck - it can be hard to get in but it is a bit off the beaten path and one of the best places to eat in Port A.Trip Advisor reviews

Corpus can be crazy during Spring Break - they flock there from all over the state. The biggest crowds will be in Port A. Have a good time.

K
See...this is what I get for making recommendations about places that I haven't been to in a few years...I always thought that La Playa on Rodd Field was the best location, too, so they will be missed.

Cafe Maya is very very good as well; I just couldn't remember how reasonable they were!

Old 02-22-2009, 03:44 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
We did Corpus/ North Padre last spring break. It was a decent fun time w/ the family since that area doesn't get the big college crowds. Where are you staying? Do you mind driving an hour to get a good meal? We stayed on North Padre Island and we went to Port A for dinner one night and it was GREAT! We don't mind getting out and adventuring around and finding great spots to eat.

Here are some of the places we ate at that we liked.

La Playa (already mentioned ) but we ate at the one in Port A I LOVE seafood w/ the Mexican twist OR Mexican food using fresh seafood

Big Fisherman - it was decent if you want seafood (mostly fried) HUGE PLACE

Water Street Oyster Bar Water Street Oyster Bar and Water Street Seafood Company, Premiers in Corpus Christi Restaurants and of Seafood Restaurants in Corpus Christi, Texas The Shrimp Picayune on the appetizers was KILLER! My husband asked for extra sauce they use with it to go with his meal. Daughter had the shrimp enchiladas and those were very good as well. (there are some cool little shops in this little area and one has some GREAT Texas music and other goodies )

Hmm, we ate at some Italian place on NPI one night. It was decent - small and PACKED!

Rachel Ray had done an episode in Corpus so we tried to see where some of the spots she hit up were and visit those but one was closed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi