U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2013, 02:25 AM

2,343 posts, read 2,965,420 times

Advertisements

jbtx - sorry, but you still have missed the point. And you're still pushing divisive partisan prattle. And no, there's certainly nothing wrong with debate, as long as it's healthy, informed, and civilized... and it's kept respectively and contextually in a debate forum, which I don't think this thread was ever intended to be... but only the OP knows for sure. I just know that C-D has a debate forum that exists specifically for these kind of discussions, and the CC board isn't it, but carry on as you wish. That's all. I'm done.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 11-10-2013 at 03:06 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 08:19 AM

484 posts, read 1,451,042 times
Quote:
sorry, but you still have missed the point.
I don't think so. What I do not miss is the usual liberal tactic of never actually refuting a point that's critical of Obama, saying this isn't the time or place to discuss important issues, and above all, implying that the points I mentioned are not healthy, informed, and civilized... I guess that's better than calling the Tea Party "terrorists", but I get your drift. And best of all, when things aren't going well of a liberal he takes his ball
Quote:
That's all. I'm done.
and goes home.

Nice talking to you.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:14 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,965,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
I don't think so. What I do not miss is the usual liberal tactic of never actually refuting a point that's critical of Obama, saying this isn't the time or place to discuss important issues, and above all, implying that the points I mentioned are not healthy, informed, and civilized... I guess that's better than calling the Tea Party "terrorists", but I get your drift. And best of all, when things aren't going well of a liberal he takes his ball and goes home.

Nice talking to you.
You assume I'm a liberal, though I haven't actually defended liberals anywhere in this thread, or conservatives for that matter. I could be either, or neither. You could have blamed everything on the tea party rather than Obama, and I STILL would have responded the same way. My personal political views really aren't relevant to the discussion or to this thread. Once again, out of respect to the OP, I'm remaining politically neutral. If I want to engage in a political debate, and put my views out there for the world to see and dig deep into the issues, then I'll go to one of the debate forums. What is so hard to understand about that? Nice of you to make assumptions though. And as far as this not being the "time or place to discuss important issues", well, actually, NO... this really isn't the place to discuss the issues you're referring to, because the topic here is whether or not there are any liberals in Corpus, not how much jbtx hates the president. Also, I never said that your points weren't "healthy, informed, and civilized". Didn't even imply it. Go back and re-read what I said for context. I said that because it's my personal opinion on how debate should be carried out. It was general, not personal. Sorry you took it personally, but it really wasn't aimed at you. Now, say what you will, make more assumptions... but this conversation is just going in circles at this point, and I really am bored with having to repeat myself. Guess I'll just "take my ball and go home" now. Adios.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:10 PM

Just about everyone has heard of the law of unintended consequences, and Corpus Christi may very well fall victim to this as a result of progressive thought. There are 4 hospitals in CC, the largest among them being Christus Spohn with 2 locations. How many people in our city would be hurt if Christus Spohn were to be shut down as an unintended consequence of Obamacare? We all have heard the promise; "if you like your Doctor, you can keep him."

From the Wall Street Journal we read this:
Wuerl, Colson and Soloveichik: United We Stand for Religious Freedom - WSJ.com

and this from another source:
http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Column...ospitals-Close

I rather think if it comes down to a stare down contest, it won't be the Bishops who blink. If they decide not to knuckle under to the HHS it is estimated that it would be a 100 billion dollar hiccup in the national health care system. That's just the Catholic run hospitals,,, what happens if the Jews and other religious run health care systems join the fight?

The law of unintended consequences can be a nasty thing.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:45 PM

BTW, I don't hate Obama, I just think he is an extraordinarily stupid and lazy man who cannot manage anything. Having him manage my health care is completely out of the question. I think the American public is starting to get the message.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:18 PM

681 posts, read 1,477,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
BTW, I don't hate Obama, I just think he is an extraordinarily stupid and lazy man who cannot manage anything. Having him manage my health care is completely out of the question. I think the American public is starting to get the message.
its already too late im afraid

Old 05-14-2014, 02:13 AM

6 posts, read 17,268 times
I think this thread and the posts just above adequately answer the OPs question.
CC is mostly conservative, socially and politically, like much of rural and suburban TX.
I grew up there and have much nostalgia. It was great as a kid, but as an adult it was too conservative for me. Maybe it is more diverse thinking now but I don't notice much difference when visiting family there.
It can be pretty as a postcard for sure, and a nice change of scenery if you're landlocked.
But the fact that they outlawed cell phone driving is kinda radical and progressive, but also took forever to outlaw smoking in restaurants or public places (compared to Austin).

Last edited by Corpus Crusty; 05-14-2014 at 02:59 AM..

Old 05-15-2014, 05:36 AM

553 posts, read 867,236 times
The basic message of liberalism is simply: The true measure of a society is how it treats the weak and the needy. A simple Christian message (Matthew 25:40). -Garrison Keillor

Old 08-10-2017, 07:52 AM

7 posts, read 9,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaxon View Post
LOL... Perhaps to the flat earth society, the 6,000 year old earth, man and dinosaurs roaming the savanah together “conservative"... but actually... here’s the english language definition (GOP too cheap to spring for ‘em?)

Full Definition of PROGRESSIVE (Merriam-Webster)

a : of, relating to, or characterized by progress
b : making use of or interested in new ideas, findings, or opportunities
c : of, relating to, or constituting an educational theory marked by emphasis on the individual child, informality of classroom procedure, and encouragement of self-expression:
of, relating to, or characterized by progression
: moving forward or onward : advancing
a : increasing in extent or severity <a progressive disease>
b : increasing in rate as the base increases <a progressive tax>
often capitalized : of or relating to political Progressives
: of, relating to, or constituting a verb form that expresses action or state in progress at the time of speaking or a time spoken of
: of, relating to, or being a multifocal lens with a gradual transition between focal lengths <progressive bifocals>
: or, relating to, or using a method of video scanning (as for television or a computer monitor) in which the horizontal lines of each frame are drawn successively from top to bottom — compare interlaced
— pro·gres·sive·ly adverb
— pro·gres·sive·ness noun

9 progressive noun
: a person who favors new or modern ideas especially in politics and education
Full Definition of PROGRESSIVE

a : one that is progressive
b : one believing in moderate political change and especially social improvement by governmental action
capitalized : a member of any of various United States political parties: as
a : a member of a predominantly agrarian minor party that around 1912 split off from the Republicans; specifically : bull moose
b : a follower of Robert M. La Follette in the presidential campaign of 1924
c : a follower of Henry A. Wallace in the presidential campaign of 1948

So, it seems that politically speaking, “progressive” does NOT mean destruction . Quite the opposite actually. Perhaps you should review your own standards and values and maybe... re-evaluate ? The main point is that, as a general rule, the higher ones education, the less “conservative” one becomes (& the less likely they will listen to anything fox has to say!).

Also, the point of this string is to find out where liberals are, not a string for non-liberals to post the reason why we’re looking for such a place... If you don’t like “liberals”, why do you even take the time to post when your premise is not even what the original author is asking?
Ronald Reagan — 'It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:51 AM

47 posts, read 26,154 times
Liberals make me puke. Would I be a good fit? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi