U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 12:50 PM

4,202 posts, read 3,385,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Is CC a good place to retire to, or do most go further south to the Valley. Concerned with available medical facilities and stuff for retirees to do, with ease to get around.
If you want to retire in the Coastal Bend, don't retire in CC. Look to some of the outlying communities, such as Portland, Gregory, Port Aransas, Aransas Pass, Rockport, Fulton, or some of the communities a little farther inland.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 12:17 AM

17,031 posts, read 27,978,954 times
Rockport seems like a great place but a bit pricey.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:24 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,802,431 times
A decent small house goes for about $140k on the water its much more. Food is the same price as most other places nearby and gas is a few cents cheaper. Much less crime than Corpus and lots of retired people and events.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:35 PM

17,031 posts, read 27,978,954 times
Is there a real estate website that's good for Corpus and the surrounding areas?

Something similar to Houston's www.har.com

Old 02-06-2014, 12:38 AM

114 posts, read 341,606 times
Quote:
Is there a real estate website that's good for Corpus and the surrounding areas?

Something similar to Houston's www.har.com
Trulia.com

Old 02-06-2014, 06:06 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,803,474 times
I like the coldwell banker pacesetter steele website. They keep their MLS listings up to date.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:34 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,129,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
A decent small house goes for about $140k on the water its much more. Food is the same price as most other places nearby and gas is a few cents cheaper. Much less crime than Corpus and lots of retired people and events.
Rockport has become my new favorite beach town.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:14 PM

7,745 posts, read 4,391,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post

Aside from the city being small, (and flat), what is there not to like?
Not super diverse, imo lacks culture, jmo.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:08 PM

16,775 posts, read 43,266,825 times
Quote:
Actually I've done a bit of work there, but have no idea about living there. To be honest I was debating a little farther south vs CC.

Corpus seems adequate but not too exciting. Not sure if there would be activities seniors could do other than fish. If activity is limited then I go where its warmest/safest/cheapest.
If you think Corpus is not too exciting, than you will really be bored with most areas further south. Rockporr/Fulton has several active seniors groups, as well as several festivals each year, such as http://www.fultonoysterfest.org/ and http://www.rockportartcenter.com/eve...l.php?uid=1269 and http://www.rockporthomerentals.com/l...e.asp?cat=1941

Rockport list of festivals and events http://www.rockportnet.com/events.html

http://www.rockporttours.com/

Rockport Yacht Club has several races and events during the year. http://www.rockportyachtclub.org/

Quote:
Rockport seems like a great place but a bit pricey.
There are numerous housing complexes and subdivisions out side of and around Rockport that are close by but less expensive.

Last edited by CptnRn; 02-09-2014 at 04:33 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 10:52 PM

3 posts, read 6,913 times
I have a condo in Corpus, used to live in CC full time but my job brought me to Austin. I miss the beach lifestyle and Corpus is fairly laid back and generally a fun place to be in the spring and summer seasons. Here are my thoughts on this Texas gem: First off, I did not grow up in Corpus so I have an outsider's point of view. In my opinion the area around Ocean drive is one of the prettiest coastal areas of Texas, if you get a chance drive down this street! The area has been known as up and coming for several decades, but the coming never seems to happen, I think most of this is due to corrupt city government and/or failed city council policies that drives businesses away. Hard to believe this city used to headquarter, HEB, Whataburger, and Omni Hotels. All have left to larger cities. . .This gives you an idea of where the city has been over the past 20 years. I will say that it seems like the current mayor and city council is more progressive than in the past and appears to have the city's best interests at heart. I know there is talk of a plastic ban going into place and road fees, but in the end they will find this will help clean up the city, and improve the infrastructure, all of which will hopefully help lure permanent industry to the area and/or add more tourist destination type places to call Corpus Christi home. Currently, they are building a Schilitterbahn water park on Padre Island soon, so this should help grow the tourism scene. As far as rent I agree with a previous poster that rent is high considering the local wages are not near as high as the San Antonio area where rents are cheaper than Corpus. I would say buy, because even if you decide you don't want to stay full time, etc you can def break even buy renting it out, since the rates are higher than what you would expect. Medical facilities in the area are much better than Harlingen, and McAllen area with more specialities, South Texas along the border just can't attract physicians that want to stay long term, Corpus can. I know this because I work in the medical field. It is cheaper in the valley area than Corpus but there is lack of diversity and culture in that region of Texas, primarily hispanic and catholic, if that attracts you than you will love it. I like a little bit more diversity and you will find that in Corpus. Corpus is not a dump! I get so sick of people from the Valley saying that, if you get off of the expressway you will find the poorest neighborhoods in the entire USA, that area is full of extremely poor people and extremely rich people, there is a lack of a middle class there. I would venture to stay that Corpus is primarily a city of middle class folks, this is mainly due to military, Army Depot, and Refineries presence in the area. Hmm this is my take on the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi