U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 04:05 PM

4,202 posts, read 3,385,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I'd be worried about the air quality in the area with all the refineries around.

The wind blows 15 MPH all day every day, starting around 9 or 10 AM. CC doesn't have any air quality problems.

This ain't Houston...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 07:08 PM

553 posts, read 867,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
The wind blows 15 MPH all day every day, starting around 9 or 10 AM. CC doesn't have any air quality problems.

This ain't Houston...
And dat ain't sciencey, dis' is:

Let me google that for you

EPA seizing control of air pollution permit for Corpus Christi refinery | Dallas Morning News

Neighborhood scale air quality modeling in Corpus Christi using AERMOD and CALPUFF

Old 04-21-2014, 07:15 PM

Subject: News Release: Chemical Company Failed to Disclose Public Health Risks, Judge Rules in Favor of EPA

Dale Kemery (News media only)
kemery.dale@epa.gov
202-564-7839
202-564-4355
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

November 14, 2013

Chemical Company Failed to Disclose Public Health Risks, Judge Rules in Favor of EPA

WASHINGTON – In an administrative decision issued earlier this week,Elementis Chromium, Inc., one of the largest manufacturers of chromium chemicals in the world, was ordered to pay a penalty of $2,571,800 for failing to disclose information about substantial risk of injury to human health from exposure to hexavalent chromium, a known carcinogen, on workers in modern chemical production plants, as required by the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA).
“Our job is to protect all Americans from exposure to harmful chemicals at home, at work and in their daily lives,” said Cynthia Giles, assistant administrator for EPA’s Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance. “This decision supports our commitment to public health and reinforces the importance of companies providing key information about the risks their chemicals pose.”
TSCA requires chemical manufacturers, processors, or distributors that obtain information demonstrating that a substance or mixture presents a substantial risk of injury to human health or the environment immediately inform the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). This information allows EPA to understand and limit, when necessary, potential hazards associated with the manufacturing, use, and disposal of chemical substances.
In September 2010, EPA filed a complaint against Elementis with the Office of Administrative Law Judges, alleging TSCA violations for failing to report the results of an industry-commissioned study that documented significant occupational impacts to workers in modern chemical plants. According to EPA, the study filled a gap in scientific literature regarding the relationship between hexavalent chromium exposure and respiratory cancer in modern chromium production facilities. Chief Administrative Law Judge Susan Biro held an administrative hearing in December 2011, where both sides presented expert witnesses and additional evidence. On November 12, 2013, Judge Biro issued a decision and assessed a penalty, concluding that Elementis had violated TSCA.
This decision will become a final order 45 days following issuance unless the company chooses to appeal the decision to EPA’s Environmental Appeals Board.
Elementis, which is based in East Windsor, N.J., is a global specialty chemical company with operations worldwide. Elementis has been manufacturing and distributing chromium-based chemical substances and mixtures for more than 35 years and has two main manufacturing plants inCastle Hayne, N.C., and Corpus Christi, Texas.
EPA Seal
You can unsubscribe or update your subscriptions or e-mail address at any time on your Subscriber Preferences Page. All you will need is your e-mail address. If you have any questions or problems, please e-mailsupport@govdelivery.com for assistance.
This service is provided to you at no charge by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Subject: News Release: Chemical Company Failed to Disclose Public Health Risks, Judge Rules in Favor of EPA

Dale Kemery (News media only)
kemery.dale@epa.gov
202-564-7839
202-564-4355
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

November 14, 2013

Chemical Company Failed to Disclose Public Health Risks, Judge Rules in Favor of EPA

That has nothing to do with emissions or air quality outside the plants (in CC or any of the other localities where their plants are located), that's a workplace / right-to-know issue.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
That has nothing to do with emissions or air quality outside the plants (in CC or any of the other localities where their plants are located), that's a workplace / right-to-know issue.
Mere sophistry. Your post was addressed in my first response, was it not?

The second post:

The EPA Elementis Chromium issue was a follow-up, you're right, it's a right to know.

After receiving the appended EPA letter last November, I searched, and finding no news, notice, information or reports by the local CC papers, and television stations . . .I wondered why? This is something a community has a Right-to-Know, does it not?

THAT . . . is what prompted me to look at City-Data in the first place. See my post of March 7, 2014 which is more detailed with regard to emissions/air quality outside the plants in CC.

Did the community of West, TX. have a right-to-know West Fertilizer Co. had 270 tons of ammonium nitrate and 100,000 pounds of anhydrous ammonia on site?

Consider, it was ammonium nitrate and fertilizer that caused this noteworthy explosion.

Texas City disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, back to your original post:

>Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post

This ain't Houston...<

Wind data: Corpus Christi, TX Weather

#573: 09-28-00 KOCH INDUSTRIES INDICTED FOR ENVIRONMENTAL CRIMES AT REFINERY

Collaborative on Health and the Environment :: Corpus Christi: Hillcrest Residents Exposed to Benzene In Neighborhood Next Door to Refinery Row

Old 04-23-2014, 09:46 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,803,474 times
The OP hasn't been back in a long time.

Regardless, the fact is that the wind blows from the South most of the year and blows the refinery stink North across the ship channel. Only on the fairly rare occasions when we get a "Norther" does the wind blow the stink toward the city.

Hillcrest is located right next to the refineries and has probably been exposed to lots of toxins. For most areas of the city, though, air quality is fine, most of the time.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The OP hasn't been back in a long time.

Regardless, the fact is that the wind blows from the South most of the year and blows the refinery stink North across the ship channel. Only on the fairly rare occasions when we get a "Norther" does the wind blow the stink toward the city.

Hillcrest is located right next to the refineries and has probably been exposed to lots of toxins. For most areas of the city, though, air quality is fine, most of the time.

Agreed, in general terms . . .but the devil is often found in the details. Seemingly inconsequential details like:

"3.6.2 Local*Monitoring*Data*
The*Corpus*Christi*metropolitan*area*has*a*humid*s ubtropical*climate.**Average*monthly*temperature*
ranges*from*47°F*in*January*to*94°F*in*August.** Prevailing*winds*are*from*the*southeast,*and*the*region*
often*experiences*high*wind*conditions*with*gusts* often*reaching*more*than*40*miles*per*hour.* *Sea*
breeze*activity*off*the*Gulf*of*Mexico*allows*for* efficient*mixing*of*local*air*pollutants.**As*a*re sult,*long‐
term*air*pollution*episodes*resulting*from*stagnan t*air*masses*are*uncommon.**Air*pollution*episodes *in*
the*Corpus*Christi*area*are*usually*associated*wit h*the*high*temperatures*and*intense*sunlight*of*th e*
summer*months,*which*are*more*conducive*to*ozone*p roduction*than*the*winter*months.*
Outdoor*air*quality*in*a*given*location*is*describ ed*by*the*concentration*of*various*pollutants*in*t he*
atmosphere.**Air*quality*is*a*function*of*several* factors,*including*the*quantity*and*dispersion*rat es*of*
pollutants* in* the* region,* temperature,* the* presence* or* absence* of* meteorological* inversions,* and*
topographic*features*of*the*region.* *Currently,*the*Corpus*Christi*area*is*considered* in*attainment*or*
unclassifiable*with*respect*to*all*NAAQS*pollutant s,*including*ozone*and*carbon*monoxide."

In*February 2014, before posting on this forum, I read the Draft Environmental Impact Statement/Section 4(f) Evaluation for the proposed new harbor bridge. I was just curious. I watched it being built as a kid. I was curious about the coatings and lead-based paint. . .curious because it's so damned expensive to abate.

From a historic and general information view it's excellent:

Draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) and Section 4(f) Evaluation for the US 181 Harbor Bridge Improvements Project.

If that doesn't work - here: EIS | Corpus Christi Harbor Bridge Project

Of particular interest to me was: Section 3.0 Affected Environment

It begins in the 1840's with Henry*L.*Kinney trading post.

In Section 3.0 we find: "Air*Quality.* * From*October* 2007*to* March* 2008,*researchers* from* Texas* A&M* University collected*blood*and*urine*samples*from*residents*o f*the*Hillcrest*neighborhood.**TAMU*reported*that*
benzene*concentrations*in*many*of*the*blood*sample s*were*elevated,*and*in*some*cases*were*many*
times* higher* than* the* general* population.* * Questions* arose,* however,* about* the* possibility* of*
contamination* of*the*samples* with* external* volatile* organic* compounds* (VOCs).* * According*to*the*
authors*of*a*follow*up*study,*“The*TAMU*laborato ry*did*not*use*a*validated*analytical*method*and*d id*
not* provide* quality* assurance/quality* control* data,* so* it* is* not* known* if* potential* sources* of*
contamination*contributed*to*the*findings*of*the*s tudy”*(Orloff*et*al.*2011,*2).*

The* TAMU* results* also* conflicted* with* Texas* Commission* on* Environmental* Quality* (TCEQ)* air*
monitoring* data.* * The* TCEQ* air* monitoring* system* in* the* Refinery* Row* area* has* consistently*
documented*ambient*benzene*levels*well*below*that* which*the*TCEQ*considers*to*be*a*health*concern*
(Regional*Health*Awareness*Board*2009).**The*Regio nal*Health*Awareness*Board*(RHAB),*a*board*of*six*
members*established*in*2003*through*a*local*agreem ent*between*Nueces*County,*the*City*of*Corpus*
Christi*and*San*Patricio*County,*entered*the*discu ssion*at*the*request*of*the*EPA*in*2009*in*order*t o*
evaluate*the*conflicting*opinions*(Regional*Health *Awareness*Board*2009).**The*RHAB*concluded*that*
more*testing*was*needed."

If anyone is still reading this and stunned by the fact that Aggies didn't use validated analytical methods, nor QA programs . . .allow me to restate a revised and considered response to Scientific Method:

If you do a search for "Damned Near Anything" on the net you'll find a ton of info and discover there are two primary schools of thought:

1. ______ is safer or better.

Or

2. ______ is safer or better.

Both sides bolster their arguments with scientific studies. Both sides claim that the scientific study done by the other side is flawed. This is a pretty common situation in science, actually, and what it means, when you cut through all the politics and observe the known facts and evidence is we are still at the "we're not quite sure" stage. . . .What The Frack?!

Btw, " The Texas Department of Transportation awarded a contract of $23,165,710 to SCR Construction Company, Inc. of Richmond, TX, to perform coatings application and steel repairs on the Corpus Christi Harbor Bridge, a 5,818-foot-long bridge that features a 3-span, 1,240-foot-long cantilever steel truss unit that rises 138 feet above the shipping channel below. The owner estimated that the surface preparation and coatings application represented approximately two-thirds of the total project value."

Something Stinks alright . . .I wonder what "Doc" Ricketts would have said? Reminds me of another row. . .you know Doc, he was the marine biologist who studied, collected, preserved and sold sea creatures he hunted along the California coast. He owned "Western Biological" in Monterey, CA.

Here's a little something, something about Doc Ricketts:
Ed Ricketts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Close observer's say Doc made what Monterey, CA is today.

Sorta' makes me wonder what Oceaneer's will make of Corpus Christi, someday.

Takes me back to nights at Bob Morris's nightclub in the 80's, The Cannery on Carroll Ln, and what Creedence said, "Someday Never Comes."

I realize "Refinery Row" is critical to CC's economy, jobs, and gas production in general. I have no problem with that. OTOH, I have concerns, what do we really know, what is it we don't know, what could we know, what we can't yet know, and what we may never know. Because the best and the brightest can so twist science, methods, words, and ideas into such convoluted pretzels that we begin to ( I shutter at the thought) doubt the integrity of those that stand behind such twisting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcpBs_fwYQw

Old 04-28-2014, 07:21 AM

4 posts, read 4,555 times
Corpus Christi is an excellent place to retire! It is very relaxing with a lot of good, nice, and helpful people to lend a quick hand if you need it. If you need a moving company, I recommend All My Sons, they moved my family and I last year and I couldn't be happier.
Good luck!
-Denise

Old 04-30-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Did the community of West, TX. have a right-to-know West Fertilizer Co. had 270 tons of ammonium nitrate and 100,000 pounds of anhydrous ammonia on site?
Only an imbecile would be unaware that a fertilizer plant would have fertilizer stored on-site.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,994 times
If anyone is still reading this and stunned by the fact that Aggies didn't use validated analytical methods, nor QA programs . . .allow me to restate a revised and considered response to Scientific Method:

If you do a search for "Damned Near Anything" on the net you'll find a ton of info and discover there are two primary schools of thought:

1. ______ is safer or better.

Or

2. ______ is safer or better.

Both sides bolster their arguments with scientific studies. Both sides claim that the scientific study done by the other side is flawed. This is a pretty common situation in science, actually, and what it means, when you cut through all the politics and observe the known facts and evidence is we are still at the "we're not quite sure" stage. . . .What The Frack?!
Not sure how to quote someone in this forum... did my best above of Rust's comment.

Well stated. Most seem to pick a side and just dig in their heels. I hadn't read much about fracking and other industrial pollution, but am more aware now. Sad to see Corpus burdened with air pollution - my early memories of it were of a pristine and clean bay, wild island, clean beaches and waves. It still has some charm for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi