U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 10:31 PM

553 posts, read 867,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx2cc View Post
If anyone is still reading this and stunned by the fact that Aggies didn't use validated analytical methods, nor QA programs . . .allow me to restate a revised and considered response to Scientific Method:

If you do a search for "Damned Near Anything" on the net you'll find a ton of info and discover there are two primary schools of thought:

1. ______ is safer or better.

Or

2. ______ is safer or better.

Both sides bolster their arguments with scientific studies. Both sides claim that the scientific study done by the other side is flawed. This is a pretty common situation in science, actually, and what it means, when you cut through all the politics and observe the known facts and evidence is we are still at the "we're not quite sure" stage. . . .What The Frack?!
Not sure how to quote someone in this forum... did my best above of Rust's comment.

Well stated. Most seem to pick a side and just dig in their heels. I hadn't read much about fracking and other industrial pollution, but am more aware now. Sad to see Corpus burdened with air pollution - my early memories of it were of a pristine and clean bay, wild island, clean beaches and waves. It still has some charm for me.
Don't know how far back your early memories go but they seem to jive with my early impressions. I can vividly recall navy seaplanes taking off and landing in the bay by NAS. I also recall seeing crop dusters at work spraying 2-4-D, and DDT over huge sorghum fields that are now suburban neighborhoods.

I don't think the industrial pollution is that bad at present but the potential to contaminate the entire back bay is huge, esp.with the new Voestalpine iron plant being constructed at the La Quinta. On the other hand, there are countless cities I wouldn't give a second thought to living in or around. What once was pristine and clean is now windblown with paper trash, blighted old buildings, poor city government, a lack of trees and potholes. It's the paper and plastic trash that irritates me most. It seems many of the locals have become inured to the trash and don't see junk and waste as the occasional visitor. Waste seems to imply careless negligence, wasted efforts, decline, and lack of civic pride. When CC has good rains the ever present oleander plantings along some roadways and shoulders can be stunning. Sadly, 3 out of 5 years it's doughy and those same oleanders appear depressingly lackluster, despite the communities’ perception.

I've recently learned, according to a friend, some northern cities provide bus tickets for indigents and the homeless to visit semi-tropical CC. One-way tickets. On the other hand, CC and South Texas sent 1,000's of migrant workers up north to harvest fruit & vegetables for a pittance. Good, bad, or indifferent, if you were born and raised in CC it's always with you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 12:49 AM

17,031 posts, read 27,978,954 times
I work with refineries, I don't need questionable EPA stats. Just affordability and housing info.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:12 AM

553 posts, read 867,848 times
"Free Advice and Opinions -- Refunds Available"

Old 05-04-2014, 03:34 AM

440 posts, read 599,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I lived outside of Harlingen and except for warm weather it was nothing special. Its way too isolated- a drive to Houston Austin is an ordeal.

I like Rockport because its much closer to the big cities-it has oceanfront and less crime per capita than Harlingen or Corpus.*
Agreed, but Valley Baptist is excellent, costs of living are low and there are established enclaves of seniors. Southwest serves a decent number of cities from Harlingen. CC - no, unless you have friends or family there or somehow need a big city, in which case the northwest side of San Antonio is your best bet. No ocean, but lower humidity, and it's a long way to SPI from Harlingen.

Rockport is a smaller haven for artists and birdwatchers - the only concern there being that if you're really going to travel, you are quite a distance from any airport. If you are in good health, and "active" then it's a great place.

Any reason you are looking at the coast? As my username implies I'd choose the Hill Country over the coast. Drought has done a number on the rivers and "lakes" but the countryside is still pretty and you can be near Austin and San Antonio. Some people can't resist the call of the sea, but I'd rather be in the hills or mountains so it's west for me.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:51 AM

440 posts, read 599,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I work with refineries, I don't need questionable EPA stats. Just affordability and housing info.
The Eagle Ford play has driven up real estate anywhere in the area. It's also brought in a lot of organized crime. CC is a major stop for drugs and human trafficking, and prison gangs have a big presence. Sudden money and a corrupt county/city law enforcement system are a bad combination.

If you want the coast to fish or for watersports, and don't need bigger city amenities, there's also Riviera and places like Port Mansfield.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:03 PM

288 posts, read 489,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountryheart View Post
The Eagle Ford play has driven up real estate anywhere in the area. It's also brought in a lot of organized crime. CC is a major stop for drugs and human trafficking, and prison gangs have a big presence. Sudden money and a corrupt county/city law enforcement system are a bad combination.

If you want the coast to fish or for watersports, and don't need bigger city amenities, there's also Riviera and places like Port Mansfield.
Sorry, but no it isn't. Corpus isn't on the way to any other places, so they don't go out of their way to come here. Sure those things exist here, of course, but they exist many other places too. I never worry about crime here.
As far as our law enforcement being corrupt, I don't have any evidence that it isn't, but I also don't have any evidence that it is. The city council and mayor were a bit corrupt/inept for awhile, but it's significantly better now.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:33 AM

2,601 posts, read 7,802,431 times
My house in Rockport is 40 minutes from the Airport - I know this because yesterday I wasted 80 min going there and back when my flight was really next week.

Rockport caters to old folks- and Eagle Shale hasn't affected us yet despite the local Chamber wishing and hoping. Houses aren't especially cheap but raw land is a real bargain if you like building.. .

Old 06-14-2014, 06:57 PM

17,031 posts, read 27,978,954 times
Rockport was an area I was thinking about, but it may be too long if a commute to the refinery. Wanted 20 minutes or so.

I don't fish so the coast isn't necessary. I'd rather have a view of some type to enjoy cocktails by. Maybe I'd just be a winter Texan.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:25 AM

2,601 posts, read 7,802,431 times
From my house in Rockport it would be 27 minutes to the refinery -give or take about 30 seconds either way. You don't want to be too close to that thing- contamination is rampant.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:34 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,659,069 times
Have you considered Portland? It's right on the middle, and had the amenities of all the areas. Not too far from anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi