Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 09:32 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,993,938 times

Advertisements

I think it's interesting that you're looking to retire in Corpus if you don't know much about it. Is there a reason?

I lived there for a while and didn't find anything particularly special about it, at least anything that would be a draw for retirees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 05:23 PM

3 posts, read 7,888 times
Wink On Moving to Corpus Christi Yexas or Padre Island

Many sites I read really downed C.C. Which I find sad. Perhaps it is that I remember it from a 19 yr old point of view? As of late, I have had a longing to return to either Corpus Christi, Tx or Florida. I am now nearing 70..not quite yet. Have the grand I raised with late hubby about to graduate from H.S and in a year or so, I need to go somewhere I would be content to finish ot my days. I was not born in Texas but I'd like to LIVE my remaing days there.
My paternal side is all over the state. So I could meet many new relatives and finally hug the ones I have been emailing for years
Anywy too much info. My point is to post why I feel the naysayers are so wrong about what Corpus is and all the "sleepy" towns around the coast.
It is a letter from the late George Carlin and his words say it best.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An observation by George Carlin:

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete.

Remember to spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, 'I love you' to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin
Photo: SOMETHING TO PONDER: George Carlin

George Carlin's wife died early in 2008 and George followed her, dying in July 2008. It is ironic George Carlin - comedian of the 70's and 80's - could write something so very eloquent and so very appropriate. An observation by George Carlin:

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete.

Remember to spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, 'I love you' to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Old 01-05-2014, 05:24 PM

Default Moving to Corpus Christi Padre Island

TEXAS. Sorry.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:38 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I wrote a demographics article for the Corpus Christi Caller_Times and broke down the different age groups. THere is a paucity of people in the oldest ages- for some reason Corpus is not a retirement place. Rockport and Aransas County are however and they cater to seniors.

Crime is probably one facgtor-Rockport has little violent crime and that crime is not against strangers-family fights etc
In terms of percentages of total population the number of retired residents may be low in Corpus, but in actual numbers they are far more then Rockport and Fulton combined. Regardless, I'd rather live in the Rockport or Fulton area. It is a very nice community. When I kept my sailboat there I knew several retired people who were living on boats, and they seemed to really enjoy it.

Corpus population 312,195

Rockport Population 9,133

Fulton population 1,402

Old 01-05-2014, 11:54 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I think it's interesting that you're looking to retire in Corpus if you don't know much about it. Is there a reason?

I lived there for a while and didn't find anything particularly special about it, at least anything that would be a draw for retirees.
Actually I've done a bit of work there, but have no idea about living there. To be honest I was debating a little farther south vs CC.

Corpus seems adequate but not too exciting. Not sure if there would be activities seniors could do other than fish. If activity is limited then I go where its warmest/safest/cheapest.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:55 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,964,896 times
Having just moved here recently I am a little disturbed by the driving/DUI/ lack of insurance, number of sex offenders, easy availability of drugs and alcohol in excess, lack of police enforcement. I feel as though the police department here exists to stomp out problems that are brought to their attention rather than promoting a community that would avoid problems in the first place. Other places I've lived set up DUI checkpoints on holidays, have "no questions asked" opportunities to turn in illegal firearms, and routinely have collection sites for prescription drugs that you want to get rid of. Instead CC seems to rely on traffic cams that spit out tickets in the mail and no presence along the beaches where I have seen lots of parties with way too much booze and drugs. I purposely take public transportation when I can, daily to work at a minimum. It seems like every week brings a new slew of major wrecks, rollovers, and fatalities..and most seem to be associated with DUI.

Living in CC is not inexpensive. Rents are high, IMO, given the wages for most permanent residents. Some will argue that there are people making big salaries here, but oil workers are not permanent residents. Neither are military.

Enough to do? I can always find something to do but I haven't lived here long. I can see where some things get to be repetitive, like ArtWalk. It's the same people every time. I went a few times and then I was done. There have been some nice ethnic festivals. If I had more time I would like to do more fishing. Port Aransas beaches are the best! The National Seashore turtle releases are fun. I haven't seen the Lexington yet. The aquarium is just ok. Eating out is not cheap here but I've only found a few places that I really want to try because they are unique to this area. Grocery prices vary...fruits/vegt are cheaper but packaged food (cereal, pantry items) are a bit more expensive. Gasoline is cheaper than in most of the country. Car insurance is outrageously expensive.

I've lived in both places and if I had to choose, I would find an inexpensive area of Florida to retire. If you are still sold on Texas I would find a cheaper area to live. We have friends near McAllen (Weslaco?) and the cost of living there seems to be much less expensive than CC.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:01 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
Well yeah CAPTN Corpus is 27.7 Times as big as Rockport so it will have more people in every age group. I agree though I like Rockport--I've been walking doors every day for the March elections.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:55 AM

My reason to move to CC? Warm, beaches, and wonderful memories from from younger days. Sad that Police presence is not what it once was. But then I have the same desire to move to Florida. ANYWHERE WARM after living back here in the NE since 1994.
I don't mind just sitting at the SeaWall and watching the Ships or possible Boat Races as it used to be. Or the ArtFest being as someone said, "the same people" Thats how one makes friends.
I'm a widow since 2007, raising my gs who is now 18 so will soon be on his own mostly or in College but he likes cold I do not.
So who knows where I'll end up. "God willin and the creeks don't rise" I have some time on my side.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:06 PM

179 posts, read 247,139 times
6 hr drive from VALLEY TO SA. min........

Old 01-25-2014, 05:01 PM

15 posts, read 24,100 times
Corpus is slipping into a "nannie state" mentality...you can not talk on your cell any more while driving. Taxes and fees are jumping every year and County and City governments are spendthrifts. If you want to be around here, Port Aransas might be a better choice, or Rockport. Further south, the Harlingen/Port Isabel area has a lot going for it, and caters more towards the retired Gringo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi