U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 08:47 AM

553 posts, read 867,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
Not sure about the people who say their windstorm is 3x their mortgage. You only have to cover the house, not the land. Sure, it isn't cheap, but no coastal town has good and cheap hurricane insurance.<

Some condos have expensive 200mph storm windows and some subdivisions have roofs built to the maximum minimum standards in matchstick construction. Btw, FEMA is expanding many 100 and 50 year flood plain maps which can be a real concern.

Nobody cares what religion you do or don't practice. Sure, they might invite you to their church if they've got one, but it's to be nice, not to convert you necessarily. All you have to do is say "no thanks" and they'll talk about something else.
I keep hearing this but my experience differs. Informed older readers might remember the name Lester Roloff.
In the early 80's it was predominantly Catholics, PTL Cluber's, Jimmy Swaggart, and feral bands of Jehovah's Witness.

Having read and heard about so many problems with the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) I remember Lester Roloff.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 01:57 PM

288 posts, read 489,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
I keep hearing this but my experience differs. Informed older readers might remember the name Lester Roloff.
In the early 80's it was predominantly Catholics, PTL Cluber's, Jimmy Swaggart, and feral bands of Jehovah's Witness.

Having read and heard about so many problems with the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) I remember Lester Roloff.
1. It isn't the 80s, so comparing now to then is ludicrious.
2. My anecdote differs from yours. I don't have a church but go occasionally. Not a single person has asked me about my religion in 3 years.
3. Moving here I was concerned for my children due to the overwhelmingly negative reviews found here and many other places. I haven't noticed any difference between crime here and any of the places I've lived in NC, TN, and VA, apart from the littering. I'm happy to have moved here, and that's why I'm constantly trying to give people a different viewpoint.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:54 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,531,849 times
I've had no negative religious pressure here. I have partiipated in past places I've lived, don't currently, and have not even had it mentioned to me other than to invite me to carnivals, food festivals, and the like. I have found CC to be accepting of diversity.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
1. It isn't the 80s, so comparing now to then is ludicrious.
2. My anecdote differs from yours. I don't have a church but go occasionally. Not a single person has asked me about my religion in 3 years.
3. Moving here I was concerned for my children due to the overwhelmingly negative reviews found here and many other places. I haven't noticed any difference between crime here and any of the places I've lived in NC, TN, and VA, apart from the littering. I'm happy to have moved here, and that's why I'm constantly trying to give people a different viewpoint.
1. It isn't the 80s, so comparing now to then is ludicrious.<

Not so fast, I wasn't comparing now to then, beside's, Lester Roloff was a 70's issue, Please explain why CCian's were marching down Ocean Drive on January 21, 1990? Corpus Christi, Texas was the "epicenter" for exactly what in the 2000's? Being a Piscatarian, the landmark question, "Row v Wade" never made much sense to me. I happened to be in the bar at "Raffles," 1 Beach Road, Singapore, late one night when "Corpus Christi, Texas" came over the news so I paid attention and remembered exactly why people were marching along Ocean Drive, how the officials came across on CNN. . .and the peeps. I did not volunteer I was from Corpus.

For six months I walked by the National Archives Building on Pennsylvania Ave, in Washington, DC. Engraved in stone on that august building appear these words *"What's past is prologue" as a reminder that history influences and sets the context for the present.

* Wm. Shakespeare The Tempest. 1623

2. My anecdote differs from yours. I don't have a church but go occasionally. Not a single person has asked me about my religion in 3 years. <

Religious proselytizing in general isn't what it used to be. Run a search on >Brother Leo,(originally Roderick Norton Gregory) + Sarita Kennedy East< Think about it when you pass Spohn on Ocean Dr. I knew Fr. Boniface, took him fishing, he often ate with us afterwards, nice guy...but long story. They didn't hassle me. . .Hell, they knew the devil cried every morning when I woke up!

3. Moving here I was concerned for my children due to the overwhelmingly negative reviews found here and many other places. I haven't noticed any difference between crime here and any of the places I've lived in NC, TN, and VA, apart from the littering. I'm happy to have moved here, and that's why I'm constantly trying to give people a different viewpoint.<

I am childfree and wife free, I can’t speak to those issues. I can certainly empathize with your concerns there, regardless.

I too have lived a great many places having spent 30 years on the road.

In NC I was in Winston-Salem (School of the Arts) Fact is, I was there before the mills began to shut down. Have you heard “Leaving Eden” by the Carolina Chocolate Drops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWgpyApBMME

Virginia . . . I lived directly across the Potomac in Geogetown D.C. from Arlington, VA, took the Key Bridge to Rosslyn to eat at Tom’s Orleans House and Pho 75 at Seven Corners quiet often. Silver Springs, Reston, did a small bit on a movie about the wild horse swim on Assateague Island. Spent one summer on a beautiful old farm on the Shenandoah River some 60 miles south of D.C. great trout fishing. Know Blacksburg. Had a friend who was so concerned with his wife and children in Brooklyn he moved to Blacksburg after 911. It took him years to get out of N.Y. He had to sell his brownstone/business and reestablish life in Blacksburg. After all that, some Virginia Tech nut fatally shot 32 people on campus in 2007. His wife taught at Virginia tech.

In Tennessee I was at Knoxville University and Lone Mountain (near Old Tazewell) and loved them both.

Fact is, it’s an insecure world and crime is everywhere (well, maybe not Lone Mountain) it seems.
I don’t think CC is all that crime ridden but it’s a poor town with the associated problems.
Here again, I like metrics: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
How can you be secure in an insecure world?

. I'm happy to have moved here, and that's why I'm constantly trying to give people a different viewpoint.<

Corpus is great for some people. My point is more complicated. Firstly, anyone who’s looking to move anywhere should do the research before hand. I don’t consider City-Data a reliable fact based research source, it’s an opinion source, don’t you think? Opinions vary and everyone has
one, or two, maybe three. It is my opinion that fictions raise questions and helps ______ have more awareness of issues. With more awareness comes more understanding, hopefully.

The questions needs to be more specific, like "I'm moving to Corpus to work at _______, have lots of money and want to live near water. Where should I look to buy a house?"

Most young families today are so stressed and busy with life issues they don’t have time to pay attention to what’s going on around them. In my opinion, 200K is more than enough to live well in Corpus.

Every day of our lives we have to wake up some where. Most people on this dirty brown
Planet have no choice where they wake up, they are stuck some where. I’ve made it a point to find a happy place to wake up to . . .why live otherwise? Then again, sometimes
Happy is more a matter of disposition than destination

I'd take Corpus any day over Houston, Dallas, ect. I had to travel to make a living and got myself spoiled. . . . and found I liked it

Last edited by Yac; 03-18-2014 at 08:11 AM..

Old 03-14-2014, 11:47 AM

179 posts, read 208,642 times
love C.ORPUS CHRISTI

Old 03-14-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt151 View Post
love C.ORPUS CHRISTI

Point indecipherable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi