U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 02:40 PM

14 posts, read 16,929 times

Advertisements

Hello To everyone
I am finally retiring from the Marines after 17 years. We are originally from Texas, Rockport and Crystal City area. I'm trying to get some information on the area as far as jobs, schools, and good areas to live in. I have been away from the south Tx area for a good 14 years so i know alot of things have changed.
Here are a few questions that I have and if you can answer them it would be appreciated.

1. Who is hiring in the Corpus Area especially for veterans?? I have 17 years of military experience in several areas like recruiting, infantry, legal/administration, anti terrorism officer, etc...

2. Is CCAD or NAS Corpus Christi able to take care of retired personnel with the facilities they have or will we have to use doctors that accept TRICARE?

3. What is normal cable rate, internet rate, electricity bill, water/sewage normal rate at?

4. What schools are good and which are the ones we want to stay away from? Back in the day i new Carrol HS was not that great along with West Oso, or Ray HS. Incarnate Ward was a good school that i knew of and Miller was as well. Kids are 11 yrs old.

5. Are there any former Military members on here that have a business and are looking for fellow military members to hire?

6. We usually spend about 200 every 2 weeks on groceries is that the normal for a family of 4?

We are currently in Virginia and have a few months left. Just trying to get a feel on what to expect from this area.

Last edited by 8TH&I; 03-12-2014 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 07:06 PM

999 posts, read 1,494,709 times
3. I just moved here and priced cable with different providers. A lot will depend on which providers are available to your address. But generally I found internet only from $30-??? depending on what you want.
Electricity (again depends on your providers as uts are deregulated in TX) on 3 bed, 2 bath runs from $75 in the non-ac/heating months to a high of $180 per month for us. We have a set back thermostat and keep temps in the house 68 in the summer and about 70-72 in the winter.
6. Groceries seem reasonable to me here vs. where I lived on the West Coast. Fruits and veggies are very reasonable. I find that things like cereal and bread are higher than other places I've lived. But overall my grocery bill went down a bit when I moved here. There is not a lot of choice as HEB pretty much has the entire ballgame here. There is a Sprouts (owned by Whole Foods, but better prices) and Walmart sells food too.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:26 PM

utsci thanks for the info. HEB is cheaper than some of the places here on the east coast that's one thing we are looking forward to.

Cable we just need the basic set up without the dvr and we will need wifi for the kids.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:34 AM

Again, depends on provider, but my roommate has mid-speed wifi and cable tv with dvr and the total bill is $80. They have a special going for basic tv and mid-speed internet for $60 right now.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:37 PM

is this with direct tv or time warner? that's a good deal that would help out with expenses. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:05 PM

It is with Grande. Again, it all depends on who the provider is for the location. When I was on Alameda I had Time Warner. I really liked them, great cheapest package wi-fi, no problems for only $30/month. I live now closer to Airline and SPID and the current provider that my roommate started out with is Grande. Every month there's some extra fees and we can never figure out what they are. It can take you hours of phone calls and trips to their offices and you still have no idea what you're paying for. Grande is not very straight forward.
Time Warner was exactly the same price (after the initial deposit and set up fees), to the penny every month. And the rare times when I had a problem, it was their actual cable, they came out and fixed it within 48 hours. They walked me through setting up my personally owned router so that it would play nice with their modem when I first moved in. The people in the office were very helpful, gave me an extra length of cable during set up (free!), always knew exactly what was on my bill and why, and cheerfully refunded the pro-rated last month I was on with their service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or