Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 02:52 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

I can find lots of photos of the beaches in Corpus Christi, but none of them have any people swimming in the ocean. So that brings up the question, is it safe or pleasant to swim in the ocean there?

I see lots of big ships and often water where there are lots of big ships can be pretty gross.

I've been to a beach house on the gulf in Florida where the water was very shallow. You could just walk out for a long distance and had to drag your feet with every step to stir up the stingrays so you didn't get stung.

There were lots of jellyfish, too, that made the water less pleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 04:54 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,088 times
The only water I wouldn't swim in is the ship channel in the bay. Aside from that, all beaches and the island are safe, shallow, and "pleasant" to swim in.

There is always a risk for jelly fish. There are a few times a year where they are plentiful. There is also some seaweed. Aside from that, there is nothing unpleasant about the water.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:48 PM

552 posts, read 1,055,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
The only water I wouldn't swim in is the ship channel in the bay. Aside from that, all beaches and the island are safe, shallow, and "pleasant" to swim in.

There is always a risk for jelly fish. There are a few times a year where they are plentiful. There is also some seaweed. Aside from that, there is nothing unpleasant about the water.

Port Aransas

The Portuguese man o' war (not a jellyfish) and stingrays are always a concern around the beaches. I was hit by a ray in Dead Man's Hole wade fishing. It was my own fault, nonetheless. . . necessitating a trip to Spohn.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:12 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,965,148 times
Took the dog to the beach a week ago and there were plenty of jelly fish and rays around. Neither of us went in the water. I was out a few weeks ago and saw a man o' war, right next to some kids sitting in the shallow water. There have also been some puffer fish washed up lately too. When it was cold last month I saw tons of starfish. But I'm in the water almost daily for my work. Never without waders on though, mainly because we're in the water off and on almost all day long.

It's fun to observe out by the shipping channel because the dolphins seem to be most active there. But I also would not swim in the water there.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:49 PM

37 posts, read 114,888 times
It's an ocean so expect marine life. The water is not as pretty as Florida, but just as safe to swim in as any other beach.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 8,563 times
I'm taking my kids to Padre Island this week do you recommend anywhere but I can take them to swim safely and also somewhere that they can see plenty of Manowar and jellyfish I would also like to take them fiddler crab hunting if anybody could help me with that thank you

Old 07-27-2014, 07:56 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilaz3023 View Post
I'm taking my kids to Padre Island this week do you recommend anywhere but I can take them to swim safely and also somewhere that they can see plenty of Manowar and jellyfish I would also like to take them fiddler crab hunting if anybody could help me with that thank you
If you want to see jellyfish, safely, go to the Texas State Aquarium. Mustang Island, Padre Island National Seashore and JP Luby are all nice beaches.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:54 PM

286 posts, read 569,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilaz3023 View Post
Rockport Beach is safe, with shallow water, minimal waves, and lots of hermit crabs. There were jellies there last week, both nettles and cabbageheads.
Cabbageheads are pretty safe to be around, they don't sting. Nettles can sting. Haven't seen many man of wars recently.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:52 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
I agree with DR - Rockport is a nice beach and one of the cleaest. Shallow for a long ways and they have beach pavillions etc

Old 07-28-2014, 07:15 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,965,148 times
We were in the North Beach area a week ago and there were lots of jellies, both cabbageheads and moon jellies (I think). And we did see some rays in the water, not too far out from the beach. We stayed out of the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi