Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 11:35 AM

634 posts, read 896,767 times

Advertisements

Even in the other Texas forums when comparison debates come up. Is it under appreciated or taken for granted? Seems to me like your city is a very beautiful unique part of the state. Looks like paradise to me, often said about where I live, how bout a swap?

Seattle anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 01:38 PM

552 posts, read 1,055,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
Even in the other Texas forums when comparison debates come up. Is it under appreciated or taken for granted? Seems to me like your city is a very beautiful unique part of the state. Looks like paradise to me, often said about where I live, how bout a swap?

Seattle anyone?

Perception and reality don't always match up. These forums flourish on unsupported and unattributed claims, don't you think? Seattle is a nice place to visit but that's some mighty nasty traffic and the ladies, well the ladies have been found wanting, imho. I'll take either Issaquah or Mukilteo and you can have Corpus

“Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder”

― Plato

Old 03-24-2014, 03:56 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,088 times
It is a small city that just cant compete with the big boys, (Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth), to most Texans. Of course with it being smaller, it has less amenities and attractions. There are just too many BIG cities in this state.

Ill pass on Seattle. The constant rain and liberalism would drive me insane.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:12 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post

Seattle anyone?
I'll trade!

Old 03-24-2014, 09:16 AM

[quote=gabetx;34011817]It is a small city that just cant compete with the big boys, <

Compete? Compete with the big boys for what . . .exactly?

Old 03-28-2014, 01:42 PM

634 posts, read 896,767 times
Thanks for the insight. I have only been to Dallas and it was big and overwhelming and I had trouble finding things to like about it although I didn't outright hate it. I also know not to judge the rest of the state based on that one experience.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Be thankful your city is not in the news.

Becoming the "hot city" is not all it's cracked up to be.
What you loved about where you lived disappears as thousands of new transplants take over the place.
Your local mom and pop stores get replaced with Walmarts and Starbucks and Targets and chain restaurants.
Traffic becomes a nightmare.
Taxes go up because people demand the same amenities they left which becomes a vicious circle because they left due to high taxes to begin with..go figure....

And then when the city itself becomes too expensive the sprawl starts.

I had 10 good years in my little town north of Austin til the sprawl took it over and the ranches and farms around me turned into 800+ home subdivisions and my property taxes tripled.

It's a one way street and fast growth isn't always good but you can never go back once it starts.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:02 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,088 times
Just was in Austin yesterday. Wow! I do not know why people like it so much. It is endless strip malls and has the worst traffic I have ever experienced in the state. I have no idea what all of the talk is about.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Be thankful your city is not in the news.

Becoming the "hot city" is not all it's cracked up to be.
What you loved about where you lived disappears as thousands of new transplants take over the place.
Your local mom and pop stores get replaced with Walmarts and Starbucks and Targets and chain restaurants.
Traffic becomes a nightmare.
Taxes go up because people demand the same amenities they left which becomes a vicious circle because they left due to high taxes to begin with..go figure....

And then when the city itself becomes too expensive the sprawl starts.

I had 10 good years in my little town north of Austin til the sprawl took it over and the ranches and farms around me turned into 800+ home subdivisions and my property taxes tripled.

It's a one way street and fast growth isn't always good but you can never go back once it starts.
You forgot to mention when Citybillies move in and complain about rural aromas.

I often buy whole milk, fresh yard-run eggs, hand-churned butter, and grass-fed beef from the local dairy, farmers, and ranchers. My dairyman, 6'4" and approx. 300 pds. told me his new neighbor made a visit to complain about the aroma with a west wind. Mr. Dairyman told clueless, "Little Buddy, this is private property, that purple paint on my fence means, NO Trespassing." "What's more, if I ever hear from you again I'll put in a pig pen adjacent to your property." Mr. Citybilly alienated the most powerful, helpful, and knowledgeable person within five miles of his property.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:09 PM

135 posts, read 241,043 times
What is being forgotten or mentioned is that Corpus does not want to be the center of attention, they don't want uncontrolled growth if any growth at all.. they like being the tourist attraction and small. I would hate to see Corpus become like Houston, or Dallas.. I like it just the way it is. It has that pirate cove sorta thing going on.. kinda like a hidden gem, rough around the edges but still a nice place to call home if you want too. I often wonder why there are not more Texas coastal cities.. we have so much of it.

Dairyman sounds like a real ******* to me.. a neighbor wanted to voice an opinion on the smell, and the reaction was to be a jerk. Nice. And is a perfect example of what I am talking about above. its a mentality of DON'T MOVE HERE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi