U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 10:01 PM

553 posts, read 867,236 times

Advertisements

[quote=Bron_Brodir;34126223]What is being forgotten or mentioned is that Corpus does not want to be the center of attention,<

Geography, geography, geography. Corpus is bounded by Corpus Christi Bay, the Gulf of Mexico, the Chapman Ranch and the Nueces River. Nueces County is bounded on the north by the Nueces River and on the east by the Laguna Madre, Corpus Christi Bay, and Redfish Bay. San Patricio County is on the north border, Jim Wells County on the west, and Kleberg County on the south. Corpus has always been geographically challenged.

> they don't want uncontrolled growth if any growth at all.. they like being the tourist attraction and small. <

Pardon me, who is they?

>I would hate to see Corpus become like Houston, or Dallas..<

Don't worry, that's a geographical nonstarter.

> I like it just the way it is. It has that pirate cove sorta thing going on.. kinda like a hidden gem, rough around the edges but still a nice place to call home if you want too. <

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]I like peanut butter.[/color]

I often wonder why there are not more Texas coastal cities.. we have so much of it. <

Deltas, mud flats, marsh lands, protected wetlands, National Wildlife Reservations, some old towns like Indianola, now a ghost town on Matagorda Bay in Calhoun County, were blown completely off the map.
Harbor City,fell on hard times and strong winds on Live Oak Peninsula, the east leading edge of San Patricio County, now known as Port Ingleside. . .and lastly the King Ranch.

>Dairyman sounds like a real ******* to me.. a neighbor wanted to voice an opinion on the smell, and the reaction was to be a jerk. Nice. And is a perfect example of what I am talking about above. its a mentality of DON'T MOVE HERE.<

But you're in El Paso, why worry? If you'd like a little whiff drive west on I-10, 20 minutes to Vado, N.M. where you have Big Sky and Del Oro industrial-dairies. Mister Dairyman has 20, more or less, Brown Swiss Jerseys on 375 ac.

Bron_Brodi, just read your complete postings on City-Data for sub-text, issues, and answers. It doesn't take long to find, does it? Yep, is appears you have a passive-aggressive propensity to pounce on any perceived sharp note and overblowing.

Perhaps you would like to contribute something useful to the discussion?

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 11:09 PM

135 posts, read 208,973 times
LOL.. Hi-ya Kettle, I mean Rust Never Sleeps. I was not rude or over blowing anything, but rather offering my perspective as others have, including yourself. Now if you perceive it to be sharp or aggressive, maybe the problem lies with in you, as I never intended my post in such a manner.

They be the population of Corpus Christi. ( oh please reformat your post, it is a mess of broken code )

Have you ever been to Manhattan New York.. what do you think that city is built on? .

As for the nonstarter, I mean more than just the general size of those cities. That big city mentality is also covered in that statement. I like Corpus Christi, sure it can use some road improvements and new business to offer its residents employment, but the city is not bad in my eyes, but then again as you mention I am a mere visitor and live in El Paso, so why should I worry?

As for my Dairyman narrative, it is based on your statement of his nature, so maybe you painted him in a bad light or did not give enough information. I drive past the Dairy Farms on I-10 from time to time and have experiences the aroma and can understand this neighbors concerns. But at the same time, the person should of done a bit more research prior to moving next door to the jerky farmer and his smelly cattle.

I am glad to see you took the time to sit at your PC for what must of been an hour or four reading my complete list of postings on City-data to make a judgment call on my personality or person based on what my opinion or advice or viewpoint is on varying city topics. I honesty don't care enough to return the favor as I have more important things to do with my time. I simply offered my observation and opinion on this post, I can respect your disagreement with my point of view.. now note I have not in this post called you names made less of your ideas, or insulted you, I did point out that if you feel I was aggressive, overblowing or what ever it is you wanted to attack my statements with, was something you should consider when taking the time to write a reply in the manner you did, aka calling you the kettle, as I must be the pot in your eyes.

I would also like to point out that the post you made was also not conductive nor did it contribute to the matter at hand, it simply was you being overly aggressive and argumentative with someone you disagree with. I guess my reply is also not contributing at this point, so I will end this here.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bron_Brodir View Post
LOL.. Hi-ya Kettle, I mean Rust Never Sleeps. I was not rude or over blowing anything, but rather offering my perspective as others have, including yourself. Now if you perceive it to be sharp or aggressive, maybe the problem lies with in you, as I never intended my post in such a manner.

They be the population of Corpus Christi. ( oh please reformat your post, it is a mess of broken code )

I don't see broken code.

Have you ever been to Manhattan New York.. what do you think that city is built on? .

Yes, I lived, studied, and worked in NYC, Manhattan and Park Slope (Brooklyn) both. This email just arrived:

Another Tappan Zee Barge Breaks Loose, Third Time Since September
by Working Harbor Committee

Posting my April Fool's post yesterday meant that I neglected to inform you of the alarming news about a barge from the Tappan Zee Bridge Replacement project having come loose from their moorings (again). To those who alerted me to the omission, I thank you for your kind support and to those appreciated my little […]

Read more of this post

Working Harbor Committee | April 2, 2014 at 9:19 am
Working Harbor Committee Should link you to the site

Off-hand, I'd say the city is built on money that backfilled the swampyness. I made that word up!

>As for the nonstarter, I mean more than just the general size of those cities. That big city mentality is also covered in that statement. I like Corpus Christi, sure it can use some road improvements and new business to offer its residents employment, but the city is not bad in my eyes, but then again as you mention I am a mere visitor and live in El Paso, so why should I worry?<

If I were relocating to a beach town it would be, Beaufort, S.C., the county seat of Beaufort County, South Carolina. It better suits my taste and humidity expectations. Check it out, yesterday it was:
72°F (22°C), Wind SE at 11 mph (18 km/h), 89% Humidity in CC. In Beaufort it was: 68°F (20°C), Wind S at 6 mph (10 km/h), 40% Humidity. I love the old shade trees and homes of the Lowcountry.

To you, in the desert, I'm sure CC it's a tropical pair-o-dice. I didn't say CC was a bad city, I provided facts an informed opinion. Don't forget, I grew up in CC and know both sides of the issues. I was a visitor to El Paso, on many occasions long ago. I liked the model airplanes hanging from the ceilings in the airport. I liked Linda's Jet Taco . . .probably long gone now. I visited John Wesley Hardin's grave at the old Concordia Cemetery. When I worked at the Inn of the Mountain Gods I had the choice, by contract, to live in El Paso, Las Cruces, or Alamogordo. I elected to live in Old Mesilla. At one time I did business with the Rocket Buster Boot Co. in El Paso. Do you have any idea what some of those boots sold for in Paris? With an artist visa I could claim they were part of the show. That's show bit'ness.

>As for my Dairyman narrative, it is based on your statement of his nature, so maybe you painted him in a bad light or did not give enough information. I drive past the Dairy Farms on I-10 from time to time and have experiences the aroma and can understand this neighbors concerns. But at the same time, the person should of done a bit more research prior to moving next door to the jerky farmer and his smelly cattle.<

In short, it's lawfully posted No Trespassing. I had a large acreage also posted. On occasion, I caught people trespassing, sometimes hunting. You could expect to meet my big Black Russian Terrier, a few hands and me at gunpoint. You would take off your boots and walk out to meet the game warden or sheriff, depending on who you were. Maybe an illegal would get water, food, rest, and a few days work. A few bucks in his pocket and a ride in to the Port Lavaca bus station. Where I lived bespoke privacy, it was dangerous with Russian boar off the Aransas Wildlife Refuge, snakes, and quick-mud in some areas. I didn't want to find any dead bodies on my place, I paid my taxes. You don't invite yourself in private legally posted prosperity. You phone ahead, maybe leave a note at the gate until you have permission. Those Vado daries stink, Dairyman's 20 something cows might have an aroma if they were all grazing in that corner of the property with a westward wind. I rather like that earthy aroma. More to the point, cows sometimes do ....well cow stuff, and sex in broad daylight, imagine that! He's the kind of guy who'll be the first to help you in a fix, and that last to unnecessarly mess with because haven't done your homework or suffering buyer's remorse finding that daily 30 mile commute to Austin and back, with traffic such as it is, becomes taxing. 'Nuff said?

>I am glad to see you took the time to sit at your PC<

Not exactly, I can't sit up that long and hold my head up . . .still weak. I use various laptops and PC with a large wall mounted 56" tv, remote keyboard & mouse in bed. Trust me, I know the value of high count treads in real Egyptian cotton sheets. . .fiber length, using this mouse in bed. If not, my right elbow would be raw!

> for what must of been an hour or four reading my complete list of postings on City-data to make a judgment call on my personality or person based on what my opinion or advice or viewpoint is on varying city topics. I honesty don't care enough to return the favor as I have more important things to do with my time. I simply offered my observation and opinion on this post, I can respect your disagreement with my point of view.. now note I have not in this post called you names made less of your ideas, or insulted you, I did point out that if you feel I was aggressive, overblowing or what ever it is you wanted to attack my statements with, was something you should consider when taking the time to write a reply in the manner you did, aka calling you the kettle, as I must be the pot in your eyes. <

I own my time. I take the time to try and understand where some folks may be coming from, so to speak. I always search for the inconsequential factor when something strikes me as "out of tune," "off the hinges," or doesn't quite mesh. I regret this huge curiosity I was born with, but, it's served me well and such is life. These internet postings are mere (using your word) mere words on a screen, nothing more, how we elect to interpret them is up to us. I am a fast reader and quick study.

>I would also like to point out that the post you made was also not conductive nor did it contribute to the matter at hand, it simply was you being overly aggressive and argumentative with someone you disagree with. I guess my reply is also not contributing at this point, so I will end this here.
You can push it, pull it, paint the train green. It's mox nix to me.

What exactly was the matter at hand? Most often I leave those I don't care for to themselves. These forums are like the Special Olympics, even if you win a ***** fest, you still lose. . .why bother. Since your topic was cows and B.S. I indulged in a little cow-tipping. Have you read Dr. Margo Lillie's study on Cow-tipping? The topic was about what happens when rural towns are invaded by citybillies, bringing the associated urban sprawl, traffic, notions, and discontent. I mentioned Dairyman as an example, not as an implied demand. Count your "Shoulds" Should is an implied demand, "Ought" is the moral imperative. Review your posting history for the "Shoulds." Should have, could have, and would have are sometimes called “modals of lost opportunity.” It's the tyranny of the "Shoulds."

You asked about the city of Port O'connor. POC was an ambitious resort in the late 1800's. POC get's completely blow away from time to time. It was named after a big rancher. It's 20 miles down the road from Seadrift, TX. Seadrift got it's name from the flotsam and jetsam of POC blown into San Antonio Bay, which Seadrift sits on. It's not a city by any stretch. You can take an auto-ferry to Matagorda Island and it's beaches or launch a boat, damned near any size at it's public boat launch to fish the gulf. I sometimes launched to fish the North Matagorda Jettie, not for the faint of heart! Check out the Youtube videos of POC and the jetty fishing from a boat. You can have some of the best and worse days of your life out there, sometimes both in the same day!!! Why you may ask do otherwise reasonably intelligent men and women do things like that. . . it all boils down to this: Me Fool Fish!

Now I have a question for you. How do you explain the fact, you people who call yourselves Texans, behind closed doors, eat green chili with potatoes in it, and call it chili? It may be legal, but it's not normal, and you know that ain't right!

And another question, I drove from Old Mesilla to Mescalero, round trip once a week. I knew that was Billy The Kid's route on horseback, over White Sands desert, I always wondered what in Dog's name did Billy The Kid use for toilet paper? I asked the locals and never got a straight answer! I inquired with as much respect, presence and gravitas as I could muster. Sometimes folks guessed in an effort to be helpful but
I like facts.

Folks ought not take me too seriously, i don't.

Note: There are 12 "should(s)" in this document.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:51 PM
SOM

124 posts, read 436,083 times
Good lord this forum has gotten tedious.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:15 PM

334 posts, read 500,171 times
I would love to hear more about Corpus!

Old 04-03-2014, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,710 times
Corpus proper is an industrial pit, but the island, port aransas, and anything north of ingelside is nice.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:05 PM

135 posts, read 208,973 times
Me thinks Rust needs to sleep. lol.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:57 PM

288 posts, read 489,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flako View Post
Corpus proper is an industrial pit, but the island, port aransas, and anything north of ingelside is nice.
Eh, the bayfront is nice all the way around, and parts of the southside are tolerable.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bron_Brodir View Post
Me thinks Rust needs to sleep. lol.
Rust has eternity to sleep.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:05 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,788,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flako View Post
One post... troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or