U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 07:14 PM

553 posts, read 867,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursejamie View Post
Thank you guys for all the links!! I love all the assistance. This is such a scary ordeal. Husband was looking at Flour Bluff and Southside, lol, other direction of what I was.

I am a nurse manager of an acute medical unit. Spent 5 years as a Director of Nursing at a LTC facility and changed roles to spend more time with family. Work was becoming a priority and family was suffering, something I said would never happen I have the option to take manager position and have relocation assistance. However, that scares me. I don't know Texas nursing and regulations. I don't know the facilities down there. I don't want to end up putting family second. I am thinking of going back to floor nursing so I work my hours and when I clock out, it is family time! This will allow me to learn the Texas way and the facility and maybe later go back into management. I am currently at a good size hospital in Tulsa and can't imagine going back to a small hospital. Spohn and CC Memorial are to the two hospitals I have been in discussion with. Kind of leaning towards Spohn.

Am worried about husband finding job. We will be okay if he doesn't for a little while. He is a mechanic at a Toyota dealership (even though he is Ford guy )

I would really love closer to the Gulf as possible but really just want safe neighborhood with good schools.

BTW, I had no clue schools were still allowed to do corporal punishment.......

Thanks again and really look forward to more links and information. I truly do appreciate you guys taking time to assist me.
http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/chs/cnws/default.shtm

THAT information makes a difference. I said I would send data on nursing tomorrow, April 1.

Here is the art informations:

John Guerin’s brilliant impressionistic paintings, well known to those who frequent leading museums and galleries;
John William Guerin

Jack P. Cowan’s popular hunting and fishing scenes;
john p jack cowan - Google Search

Lera Harris and Random Chic

Maybe the best local painter to visit, imo. She is a retired teacher from LA., who moved to Rockport in 1990 and took up painting. Her work has a certain existential contentment or “Happy” style.
Coastal Creations Art Gallery - Featuring Rockport Texas Artist Lera Harris

local artist Clay McCreary and Steve Russell

Clay McCreary's Custom Softail Chopper | '777' | Hot Bike

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?fea..._a9Qe7izlGJYuM

The ever-appealing water-colors of E.M. “Buck” Schiwetz (more about Buck if you're interested.)

Edward Muegge (Buck) Schiwetz - Buy/Sell E.M. Schiwetz

Michael Frary;

Michael Frary: In Memoriam: Michael Frary, an influential Texas modernist, painter of Texas watercolors, and longtime UT-Austin art professor, has passed away at age 87 - Arts - The Austin Chronicle

The stormy oils of Everett Spruce;
Everett Spruce artist - Google Search

Rockport Art Gallery, Rockport Texas > Home

https://www.instantstreetview.com/28...9n2fz3tjzntz2u

The haunting dunes, water, and sky by Dan Wingren;

Past Auction Results for Dan Wingren Art

Al Barnes’s imaginatively captured boats;
Dan Wingren artist - Google Search

Herb Booth’s landscapes and skies full of birds;
Herb Booth - Portfolio of Works

Harold Phenix’s charming shore scenes of bait camps, oil rigs, and shrimp ports.
Harold Phenix | William Reaves Fine Art

Michael Frary;

Michael Frary: In Memoriam: Michael Frary, an influential Texas modernist, painter of Texas watercolors, and longtime UT-Austin art professor, has passed away at age 87 - Arts - The Austin Chronicle

The stormy oils of Everett Spruce;
Everett Spruce artist - Google Search

Rockport Art Gallery, Rockport Texas > Home

https://www.instantstreetview.com/28...9n2fz3tjzntz2u Drive around . . .it's a short block.

The haunting dunes, water, and sky by Dan Wingren;

Past Auction Results for Dan Wingren Art

Al Barnes’s imaginatively captured boats;
Dan Wingren artist - Google Search

Herb Booth’s landscapes and skies full of birds;
Herb Booth - Portfolio of Works

Harold Phenix’s charming shore scenes of bait camps, oil rigs, and shrimp ports.
Harold Phenix | William Reaves Fine Art

I was a musician. I say was . . . because now I'm only decomposing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
. I don't know Texas nursing and regulations. .

Texas licensure informations.

Verify a license online

I'll follow up with some current Flour Bluff informations and more nursing data.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:49 PM

11 posts, read 17,863 times
Thank you Rust. I have visited the TBON website a lot. That's where I have to go for my Texas license. I am slowly reading through the Texas Nurse Practice Act and regulations. It is amazing how some things are the same from state to state and how some are so different. We all take the same NCLEX exam, yet each state can be so different to practice in. Adds more frustration but I am always up for a challenge Has any of your medical friends spoke of nurse to patient ratios or anything related to likes/dislikes of their careers?

Thanks again for your time and information!

Old 04-01-2014, 07:54 PM

She knows you're not a recent grad . . .one concern is recent grads are sometimes looking for doctors? They need "worker bees" . . .that's in your favor!

These sites are recommended overviews and sources you may find useful.

Texas Nursing Workforce Shortage Coalition

Why Nursing School Grads Have Trouble Finding Jobs | LinkedIn

Why Nursing School Grads Have Trouble Finding Jobs - Articles Archive - RN Jobs, Nursing Articles, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Bernardino

The Looming Implications of Obama Care and a Career in Nursing | Nursing Jobs

http://www.tha.org/HealthCareProvide...nFactSheet.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAIwRWACvD4 (To keep the spirits up)

Scary, you say? . . . straight from the retired directors mouth:

Fate Favors the Fearless. You have good useful skills, do things their way, it's a learning curve.

Next: For your husband, a brief tour and overview of Flour Bluff. Tell him my friend went fishing with friends over the weekend. They caught over 100 legal fish, eight freezer bags of fillets. For dietary reasons they both eat a lot of fish. In June, those that know can fill an ice chest with med-large shrimp in a matter of a few hours.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:18 PM

11 posts, read 17,863 times
LoL the video made me laugh, it was great. Although made me feel old finishing the old nurse lines The future of nursing is scary and the ACA has added much stress to that. but the Dr.'s quote is very true and a good one for nurses to follow. When a nurse quit that learning curve, is when a nurse becomes a scary nurse....it does not matter how long you have been a nurse.

My husband likes the fish situation. He has a lot to learn as lots of different fish in the sea than in a lake I am actually a little excited to fish with him and kids too.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Thank you Rust. I have visited the TBON website a lot. That's where I have to go for my Texas license. I am slowly reading through the Texas Nurse Practice Act and regulations. It is amazing how some things are the same from state to state and how some are so different. We all take the same NCLEX exam, yet each state can be so different to practice in. Adds more frustration but I am always up for a challenge Has any of your medical friends spoke of nurse to patient ratios or anything related to likes/dislikes of their careers?

Thanks again for your time and information!
We have been life-long friends from Corpus. I met her again in a Med-Vac tent in Vietnam. She is a smart, tough woman, and full of heart. We don't discuss unpleasantries as a rule. She is an excellent spoon fisherwoman.

I'm providing maybe more help than usual because I recently spent three months in the hospital. In SICU-MICU got a bone infection, about an hour a day for a month of hyperbaric oxygen therapy, P.T. & O.T. . . .they never let me rest. Those Rn's, Lvn's, aids, techs (all kinds), and housekeeping staff were the best. Particularly the Rn's and a few doctors. . .and hyperbaric nurses. I have a little insight into what you do on a daily/nightly basis, just how difficult some pts. are to deal with. I couldn't tolerate hospital food. I only wanted Campbell's soups, yogurt, and hummus. They had soup fixed for me (friends brought in mixed cases) and outside lunch/dinners most days. I was in Nov.- Jan. and then home skilled nursing. I'm almost a shut-in, a prisoner confined to my safe and comfortable home, except when friends take me out.

In the hospital, everyone would knock on the door before coming in my room. My standard reply was "GO AWAY!' . . .that didn't seem to work so I had a friend bring me in a hotel "Please Do Not Disturb" sign, They laughed at that too. I called Sister Bridget of the Little Sisters of Misery (Mercy) a Zombie Priestess and she nearly fell out laughing . . .later I heard her telling folks at the nursing station, my room was opposite the hall from the station. I was there through Christmas and arranged to have some nice stuff catered to the nurses break room. They had maintenance setup my laptop for their WIFI w/charger. My room was known as the "Nurse Stress Relief Center." Did I mention, an aide would push me outside, to a large garden area, to sit in the sun and smoke smuggled cigarettes. She always had a lighter. This is how I came to be on City-Data, a prisoner of circumstance. . . it's payback.

The Prisoner's Song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU8wDTSWBnc

Old 04-01-2014, 11:55 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,788,443 times
Flour Bluff is not a very nice area. It does have decent and very nice neighborhoods. But there is a sizable "ghetto" and a large transient population in the Bluff. Transients commonly hang out at HEB, Walmart, fast food restaurants, and shopping centers in the Bluff.

There is also a sizable population of methamphetamine users and white supremacist gang members in the Bluff. As a matter of a fact, the Bluff is the most common area to find meth in Corpus.

There are really good and really wealthy people in Flour Bluff. Some people rave about the Bluff and I just don't understand why. But it is a really mixed part of the city where you will never know who your neighbors can be.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:51 AM

2,601 posts, read 7,799,875 times
I was about to post something and glaced down my page to "Similar Threads"