U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 07:54 PM

11 posts, read 17,882 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am moving to the CC area and would like more info. I have read many of the threads and have read good and bad, which results with any city. I really would like input on the hospitals. I also have a 7 y/o boy who loves sports and a 15 y/o daughter who loves academics. Trying to figure out best area for them. Portland and southside are appealing to me. Would like as near to gulf as possible but obviously good school district is more important than living close to the water.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 05:17 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,802,914 times
MY wife is a nurse at Care Regional in Aransas Pass -it sued to be a bad hospital but new management took it over a few years back. She may switch jobs to get more hours. We live 5 miles away in Rockport which has good schools -- for Texas. Portland does as does Flour Bluff and Port Aransas. Portland is a bedroom community if you like that . ROckport is its own little world -pretty and safe very conservative in politics Corpus has plenty of hospitals but its schools are so so.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:37 PM

Thank you Ocean2026! What do you mean by bedroom community? How far of a drive is Rockport to Corpus? Does Rockport have a hospital?

Old 03-28-2014, 11:32 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,792,055 times
Rockport is 30-40 min from Corpus Christi. Annaville, Portland, and Calallen are good, safe areas with great schools. Tuloso Midway, Calallen, Portland, and Flour Bluff ISD's are the best schools in and around town. I would not recommend living in Flour Bluff though.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:48 PM

It takes me 27 min to go from my house in Rockport ( South) to say the courthouse in Corpus. Think its 25 miles. By bedroom community O mean one which really has little identity of its own- its mostly Corpus Commuters. Rockport does not have its own hospital -its 5.2 miles from my house to Care Regional and of course no traffic.
Having been on a school board and written articles about the area schools i might not totally agree with Gabe's assessment. Port Aransas has a great district but its small. TM is decent not great. There are many ways to measure how good a disgtrict is. Rockport has little crime and what crime there is is usualy among people who know each other. This is a good thing as our sheriff is not very swift.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:14 AM

We have been checking out Rockport. My daughter loves to draw and paint, she found some art galleries and events that intrigued her. She also liked the size of the school. According a site we looked at, there were approximately 900 students in the school, she currently has more than that in her class. Even though her current school is a great school, it is overwhelming for her too. This move is going to be the hardest on our daughter as she is 15 and will be going into her sophomore year of high school, so we are including her and taking her opinions into account. I can handle a 30 minutes drive to work. Right now I live 7 miles from the hospital I work at and it takes about 30 minutes due to traffic. Rockport is very appealing to us. Second we are looking at Portland. Having a hard time finding rentals on line. Don't want to buy yet until we are down there for a while and know where for sure we would want to buy a house. Rentals online are usually vacation rentals that are very high in price. Would like to keep rent 900-1200ish. Where do people advertise rentals? Thank you for your guys advice, it much appreciated. It is so hard doing this online.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:07 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,535,595 times
Craigslist...
corpus christi apts/housing for rent classifieds "rockport" - craigslist

Trulia...

http://www.trulia.com/for_rent/Rockport,TX

Old 03-30-2014, 11:09 AM

If you go on Facebook there is an Aransas County Schools Discussion Group and a Rockport Online Garage Sale -the latter sometimes has apt info- you can always ask

Old 03-30-2014, 06:39 PM

553 posts, read 868,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursejamie View Post
We have been checking out Rockport. My daughter loves to draw and paint, she found some art galleries and events that intrigued her. She also liked the size of the school. According a site we looked at, there were approximately 900 students in the school, she currently has more than that in her class. Even though her current school is a great school, it is overwhelming for her too. This move is going to be the hardest on our daughter as she is 15 and will be going into her sophomore year of high school, so we are including her and taking her opinions into account. I can handle a 30 minutes drive to work. Right now I live 7 miles from the hospital I work at and it takes about 30 minutes due to traffic. Rockport is very appealing to us. Second we are looking at Portland. Having a hard time finding rentals on line. Don't want to buy yet until we are down there for a while and know where for sure we would want to buy a house. Rentals online are usually vacation rentals that are very high in price. Would like to keep rent 900-1200ish. Where do people advertise rentals? Thank you for your guys advice, it much appreciated. It is so hard doing this online.
I decided to sit back and watch this thread. After all, these are subjective opinions and interpretations based on our personal experience. In the end, all things depend on our interpretation of them, do they not?

You did not say what kind of nurse you are nor what your husband did or the general area you are coming from. These are not inconsequential factors, imo. Moving, lock, stock, and barrel to South Texas is a consequential decision. Why not plan your move in such a way that your employer moves you and comps those expenses?

Corpus Christi is the regional medical center and the major player:
CHRISTUS Spohn Hospital Corpus Christi - Shoreline

Before I go any further let me give you some facts . . . as opposed to my opinions:

Let these load . . .they might be slow depending on your internet speed. This is automatic.

Let me google that for you

Aransas County, TX Free Open Public Records

After Paddling, Fulton Woman Seeks Change in Corporal Punishment Policy | Corpus Christi, TX | KRISTV.com |

Let me google that for you

Tomorrow, I will provide a little insight into the Rockport/Fulton fine arts scene. Tuesday, I'll provide links with regard to the in's and out's of nursing service. A friend just retired as a director of nursing service. She recently discussed the looming implications of Obama Care for nurses. She also mentioned

I'll expand on this:

Corpus Christi / Southern Gulf Coast

Btw, no one has mentioned the difference in property taxes between Corpus Christi and Flour Bluff that I've seen . . .on this forum. I would not dismiss Flour Bluff, out of hand, without reason. Flour Bluff is less than a 20 minute drive to the beach on the Gulf of Mexico. Note, neither Corpus or Rockport are on the gulf, there is no ocean, those cities are on bays, huge difference.
https://www.instantstreetview.com/28...5pfaz3uyzr5z2u

In recent years Flour Bluff has developed with new housing and amenities. Drive around and look for yourself:

https://www.instantstreetview.com/28...3wimz37yzmnz2u

If you worked at Spohn South and lived in Flour Bluff it's a quick daily commute. Besides the fact, Flour Bluff has a new Super HEB grocery store on your way home. In contacting a realtor you have a point of contact in Corpus. It's not wise, imo, to put all your eggs in a podunk hospital 30 miles from the major medical center. . .well at least until you have your feet on the ground and know what you're getting into.

Remember, you can use Google Street view to get a good look at what you might be guessing:
https://www.instantstreetview.com/28...737jz1sszt9z2u

Zoom out to the world map and just randomly drop the street view in different parts of the globe.
https://www.google.com/maps

Drag the yellow person in the bottom right corner to any highlighted blue area on the World Map.

Like so:

Dry Tortugas National Park, USA

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Dry+To...,15.26,,0,8.31

One look, one metric, one measurement, is worth a 1000 guesses.

~There's what we expect bears to do and then there's what they do. Sometimes the two don't match.
- Joe Clark, wildlife ecologist

Old 03-31-2014, 06:27 PM

Thank you guys for all the links!! I love all the assistance. This is such a scary ordeal. Husband was looking at Flour Bluff and Southside, lol, other direction of what I was.

I am a nurse manager of an acute medical unit. Spent 5 years as a Director of Nursing at a LTC facility and changed roles to spend more time with family. Work was becoming a priority and family was suffering, something I said would never happen I have the option to take manager position and have relocation assistance. However, that scares me. I don't know Texas nursing and regulations. I don't know the facilities down there. I don't want to end up putting family second. I am thinking of going back to floor nursing so I work my hours and when I clock out, it is family time! This will allow me to learn the Texas way and the facility and maybe later go back into management. I am currently at a good size hospital in Tulsa and can't imagine going back to a small hospital. Spohn and CC Memorial are to the two hospitals I have been in discussion with. Kind of leaning towards Spohn.

Am worried about husband finding job. We will be okay if he doesn't for a little while. He is a mechanic at a Toyota dealership (even though he is Ford guy )

I would really love closer to the Gulf as possible but really just want safe neighborhood with good schools.

BTW, I had no clue schools were still allowed to do corporal punishment.......

Thanks again and really look forward to more links and information. I truly do appreciate you guys taking time to assist me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or