U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,300 times

Advertisements

I uncovered old Tokens metal detecting that have "Monks Palace Corpus Christi" then on the reverse "worth 5 cents in trade". I was wondering if anyone had any history on this place?
Thank you,
Larry
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 12:13 AM

2,948 posts, read 4,584,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwj View Post
I uncovered old Tokens metal detecting that have "Monks Palace Corpus Christi" then on the reverse "worth 5 cents in trade". I was wondering if anyone had any history on this place?
Thank you,
Larry
Is this what they look like?

I've been hitting the Newspaper Archives but can't find anything on Monk's Palace.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:39 AM

553 posts, read 867,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwj View Post
Thank you,
Larry
Like this:

MONK'S / PALACE / CORPUS CHRISTI (TC-243578) Corpus Christi, Texas (Nueces), U.S.A.

I recall you made a previous query with regard to this token. Going through old boxes the past week/or so, looking for another posters information's (Shoreline Drive In photograph) I saw something about the "Monks Palace" Corpus Christi.

Bear in mind, after going through so many old menus, old Texas Restaurant Association, Corpus Christi Restaurant Association letters/notifications, reviews and what-nots I'm getting things confused.. .but, I seem to recall, or associate, the Monk's Palace being located uptown, "on the hill' near another old eatery that specialized in sandwiches named after various local judges. Yes, just cursory information noted in passing while going through old boxed stuff my dad collected and kept. Btw, those old sandwiches sounded interesting and ahead of the times with toppings like avocado slices and sprouts.

Suggestion; look in an old (1950) city directory or Sanborn's Fire Insurance listings/maps. They have these in the historical section of the library. The Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History now has the well known Doc Mcgregor collection of some 250,000 old photographs of CC, open to the public.

The bad thing about going through old boxes and trunks looking for stuff is . . .well, you run into stuff, take a coffee brake and refocus on whatever it was that last caught my peripheral attention. . . distracting me. I ran into some old "Burger chef" stuff (menu) you may recall it was once located at Everhart and Alameda. Another old item is from the old The Nixon Cafe, once located in the Wilson Building, Shoop's, Miller's Grill,. . Hasty Tasty and Jitter-Bug Drive-Ins .and you see, linear thinking is displaced with cognitive dissonance. . .confusion!

If and when I again run into that information I'll post it.

Forgot to add: https://www.google.com/search?q=The+...k's+Palace

Last edited by Rust Never Sleeps; 05-21-2014 at 02:48 AM..

Old 05-22-2014, 07:41 PM

2,948 posts, read 4,584,983 times
Do you think you could scan some of those menus and post them here?

Old 05-22-2014, 07:58 PM

553 posts, read 867,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Do you think you could scan some of those menus and post them here?
Let's see if this works:

Nope, and my scanner is not operational. I'll try something else:

Link.

LILEKS (James) :: Restaurant Postcards

Just handy:

Historic Memphis Restaurants and High School Hang-outs

On preview it indicates some didn't make the transition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi