Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 836 times

Advertisements

Let me first say that this forum has been great to learn so much about the area.

My wife and I have decided to make the move to TX for multiple reasons. I have always been an entrepreneur of sorts and am wanting to open a retail business in the area of CC. We recently made the trip to investigate the area and wow i am amazed at the amount of stores in that city. It seems almost every type of store is there, and multiples of each.

Nonetheless, I am wondering if some locals would help me better define the area based on your shopping habits. So if you wouldn't mind posting your answers below it would be much appreciated.

1. How would you divide CC into 3 - 4 sections? Ex. South side, north side, etc...Of those areas, what would be the approx boundaries (major roads, waterways, etc...)

2. In which of those sections do you live?

3. Based on the area that you live, what would you consider the closest retail/shopping area that you frequent regularly? Of course you probably use the closest gas station, HEB, or Walmart - but what retail area do you go out of your way to frequent the most or is most convenient based on where you live.

So that's about it, other than if there is a type of business you would like to see added to the area.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback, and if I get enough responses I would like to thank the community by giving away some random gift cards. If allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 03:17 PM

286 posts, read 569,489 times
Dividing it up: Southside, which is Saratoga Blvd east of Weber; SPID, which is the major route through town, mostly Kostoryz-Airline, and downtown, which is near the bay.
Of those, downtown is most underserved as far a retail, but has the propagating cycle of: people don't go there because there's nothing to do, there's nothing to do because people don't go there...
I live in none of those, but am closest to SPID I suppose.
If I'm shopping, I'm limited, but do most of it at the stores on SPID. Bed,Bath, and Beyond, World Market, Pier 1, Best Buy, Academy, Sam's, etc are all there. No upscale retail that I'm aware of.

Lots of people go to San Marcos to the outlets, which is another reason many are excited at the possibility of them coming to Robstown.

What would I really like? Better restaurants. Barring that, something like a Restoration Hardware would be nice.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:38 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
Look at Portland Rockport also, much more money per capita. If they have your type of business get a good easy location in Corpus if Portland and Rockport are lacking what you will offer go there. Faster growth - more money etc

Old 04-04-2014, 12:53 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I'm not going to do the dividing thing, but will tell you we live close the intersection of Alameda and Airline. I do everything in my power to stay on the North side of SPID, but still find myself in Moore Plaza and the shops around Best Buy. Depending on what kind of retail business you're opening, take a look at the space around the "new" WalMart on Staples close to Everhart and also The Shops at La Palmera, on the corner of Staples and McArdle. Those are both in a somewhat older part of town, but I'm assuming the developers looked at the numbers before investing in the shopping centers.

I would love for an Indian restaurant to open up. There have been a couple that haven't made it, but I think they were too big and the locations weren't right. As far as other kinds of businesses, I can't really help you. I'm not much of a shopper and haven't found myself wishing for anything we don't have. I know other people yearn for Banana Republic type stores, but... meh.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:44 AM

552 posts, read 1,055,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I would love for an Indian restaurant to open up. There have been a couple that haven't made it, but I think they were too big and the locations weren't right. I'm not much of a shopper and haven't found myself wishing for anything we don't have.
Do you have a gas Tandoori oven? You can make one for the patio/backyard with 2 Mexican unglazed clay flower pots. It's not too difficult. This might interest you . . . just for fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCODeJt9gvc#t=470

Buy Sanjeev Kapoor's Gas Oven Tandoor Online | Best Prices in India: Rediff Shopping

Imagine my surprise when ordering Bombay Duck and got fish! They still call it Bombay Duck, NOT.. Mumbai Duck.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:11 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Thanks, Rust. I've never cooked with a Tandoor oven, but I've made some other Indian dishes. Still, I wish I could slide into a booth on a Friday night after work and have some chicken Vindaloo warm naan served up without having to cook it myself!

Old 04-07-2014, 07:46 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,965,148 times
Things I have liked in other small cities where I've lived...a really good coffee/wine bar that had open mike nights, Trader Joes, a really great deli with real rye bread/ kosher pickles/ pastries, a really great bakery (bread, muffins, danish) that had a small cafe, awesome ice cream shop with homemade ice cream, the best donuts from a little family owned place.

Stores I miss...Trader Joes, Newegg, Frys

Old 04-07-2014, 09:56 PM

552 posts, read 1,055,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
Things I have liked in other small cities where I've lived...a really good coffee/wine bar that had open mike nights, Trader Joes, a really great deli with real rye bread/ kosher pickles/ pastries, a really great bakery (bread, muffins, danish) that had a small cafe, awesome ice cream shop with homemade ice cream, the best donuts from a little family owned place.

Stores I miss...Trader Joes, Newegg, Frys
Those must have been small cities around Houston or Austin! I concur, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods (for some things) Newegg and Fry's are just delightful for nerds. In the alternative, you can always fulfill that deli want,
if you really want, by planning ahead. Really Jonesing a deli fix I ordered: Katz's Pastrami on Jewish-style American rye bread and New York Cheesecake from: Katz's Delicatessen | We ship nationwide | Order now!
Ordered FedeX, delivered to my hotel room in Corpus. It wasn't cheap but all things considered it topped Katz 21, not as a deli which it's not, but certainly more memorable and half the price.

In 60 minutes, Microsoft ends its support for the persistently popular Windows XP. Since Newegg and Fry's are far, far away - how about: TigerDirect.com - Electronics, Tablets, Phones, Office Supplies & Video Games It will be interesting observing the XPocalypse.
I left one old laptop with XP just to see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi