U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 03:32 PM

114 posts, read 338,591 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what time the shrimp boats arrive and depart from the marina downtown? I want to know what time they usually arrive back in port everyday. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 08:29 PM

4,200 posts, read 3,337,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Najran View Post
Anyone know what time the shrimp boats arrive and depart from the marina downtown? I want to know what time they usually arrive back in port everyday. Thanks
I think they usually sail from Port A and Palacios.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:54 AM

553 posts, read 854,760 times
Quote:
Disclaimer:

Last I was in the vicinity of Corpus Christi was July 1-6th. 2010. That was for the Tall Ships Festival commemorating the transfer of the Ingleside Naval Base to the Port of Corpus Christi. This post contains a small amount of distilled information, some of which was acquired while living aboard a West Wright Potter berthed in a slip adjacent to a bay shrimper at the Corpus Christi Municipal Marina on the People Street T-Head in 1981. Many things, seawall/vendor permits, Chapter 12 of the City Code of Ordinances for the marina regulations with regard to slip fees, dockage, liveaboards, ect, have changed. Note, due to hurricane, Allen, there were many open slips., I was casually living aboard a friends leased slip, with power and water hook-ups, while renovating the salvaged Potter. A person could not do that in this day and times . . .Be warned, Things change.

The short answer is . . . like most things, it depends. They may have regulated shrimp-off-the-boat sales, like liveaboards, outta' town, with the numerous fees, insurance, and permits. I read the regs in 2009 and recall the liveaboard issues in the 90's. I also noted the increased floating docks and slip spaces the city has created . . .all the more debris to litter the bay while waiting for the next major hurricane.

Street Smarts:

The shrimper's selling fresh catch in the time I was there was always an iffy thing but usually you could find shrimp . . .maybe not always the best shrimp. Sometimes shrimp were re-sold off the boat. Some of those old boats were barely dock worthy, much less operational, in a time when diesel was .82 cents a gallon.

Consider next time you gaze upon the bay how many shrimp boats have drug that muddy bottom over the last 100 years. Notice the difference between bay and gulf shrimp. Imo, bay shrimp are better for live/dead bait . . . sometimes they did get nice shrimp, it just depends. Shrimping depends on many things. In general, many environmental and biological variables such as temperature, salinity, tidal heights, rain-fall and subsequent amounts of fresh water flowing into marsh habitats in estuaries and bays from surrounding rivers.

Sometimes my adjacent shrimper in CC would buy shrimp on the dock at Conn Brown Harbor (Aransas Pass), in 40 pound bags, and haul them in ice-chest back to resell at the T-Head.

I noticed today, jumbo shrimp at H-E-B were almost 12 dollars a pound. They really didn't appear to be jumbos to me. At any rate, if you are buying off the boat here is something to consider; fresh shrimp that have never been frozen have reflective orange eyes. If they are not so fresh, or have ever been frozen and defrosted, the eye is dull with a dark red color. Most gulf shrimp will be flash frozen at the time they're caught on a gulf shrimper.

I always feel the shrimp I'm buying. I'm looking for "feel" and "slimey" . . .fresh shrimp are not slimey like an older shrimp becomes. Lastly, smell the shrimp. . .sometimes they will soak shrimp in ice water with lemon juice to hold overnight, it makes the shrimp feel and smell fresher. . .if you smell a hint of lemon, Caveat emptor. Soaking shrimp makes them tasteless.

Sometimes in Port A. you can catch local area shrimpers fishing what's called " inside the "provisional line" . . . within 9 miles of the coast. You can often get real deals knowing how, what, and when to buy. In general there are There are two ‘seasons’ for big white off-shore shrimp, always frozen. Usually, during June, shortly after the season opens, and Sept. through December. These are the jumbos of 10-15 count per pound and X- large at 16-20. It appears the grading system now depends on where you shop.

I often took a small ice-chest so I would be prepared to buy should I find nice shrimp in Port A. Unlike most seafood, shrimp do not suffer a loss of flavor after being frozen. In fact, you can thaw and refreeze good shrimp without flavor loss. It's best to let frozen shrimp defrost laying on rock/kosher salt, improves the flavor.

It comes to mind . . .you can sometimes find large/X-large live brown shrimp in Port A. and Aransas Pass. If so, you might take a bottle of white wine in a deep bowl or non-metallic pot and putting the live shrimp directly in the wine. . .from the bait stand. If you allow them to marinate alive they will purge the sand line and "catch" the flavor. I grill these at once just basting with garlic butter . . .

I might mention one important thing many folks miss. Namely, it takes a good cook to properly prepare shrimp, most seem to over-cook shrimp. Over cooked shrimp become rubber-like and lose their briny sweet flavor. Well prepared shrimp ought to have a sweet, briny taste, a tender texture, and . . .how do you quantify "Mouth feel" . . .substance?

One way I use to avoid over-cooking shrimp is to pay attention to the "spring factor." Note, when we cook a shrimp it curls inward, if you

hold the shrimp by the head or where the head was and gently pull the tail down and let it go it should "spring" back up. . .if not, you've over cooked it. In deep frying shrimp try and avoid big jumbos until you have real skills. The breading and thickness of jumbos makes temperature and time critical. Some of the finest cooks use squash oil for special deep fried breaded shrimp. Squash oil is simply the oil from pressings of the common butternuts squash . . .not that difficult, or coconut oil.

For estimating purposes, 24 jumbo uncooked shrimp equal approximately 1 1/2 pounds, peeled, headed, tails intact. According to a friend who lives on Padre Island, there is a "shrimp truck" most days between the high bridge and Flour Bluff on the return side from Padre Is. It's parked on the side of the road. She said they have good shrimp from Port A. I recall, last time I was down, the Polly Anna, a big 100 ft. gulf shrimper, located near the Port A. harbor near the ferry landing had good shrimp, great prices, and was selling at 9 AM. Keep in mind, they drag at night. Early morning is the better time to buy shrimp to cook that day/night. . .IMO.

I've watched this post to see what if anything CC posters knew or might say about shrimp off the boat.
I quickly fired this off with my first cup of coffee this morning. . .leaving much out of "The Time of the Shrimp Boats." There was a time when the international price of shrimp was set in Brownsville, TX. A time when CC had brightly painted well maintained shrimp boats on the T-Heads, boats that actually fished.

Seems like all that's remained from what I remember, is what must be CC's favorite, "Boat & Net", cheap over fried fast shrimp. On the other hand, I had some shrimp ceviche made by a local shrimper, on the boat, as good as anything I've had in Mexico, Peru, or Chile. I seldom if ever have shrimp in a restaurant, you don't know what you're getting, besides, you can make it better at home. There are any number of different kinds of shrimp . . .ask someone, your local fish monger . . .you'll find most have no idea aside from, Mama likes. . .whatever.

Shrimp will be coming in through the passes the week of the full moon in June. A guy that knows what he's doing can fill up an ice chest with a cast net on one of those nights. I know I sure had a lot of fun when Corpus Christi Pass was open in 81' and 82'.

Thusly spoke, Captain Rust

Old 05-01-2014, 11:05 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,632,035 times
Quote:
They leave early in the morning and return early afternoon. You might try contacting the L-Head Seafood and Bait House for more specific information. I don't think they go out year-round.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:19 AM

114 posts, read 338,591 times
GREAT INFO, Captain Rust!! Thanks a million! You too Marlow.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:08 AM

16,769 posts, read 42,857,532 times
Where did all the shrimp boats move to when the left Aransas Pass? I used to enjoy driving there just to see all the boats.

I understand Aransas Pass is planning on turning Conn Brown Harbor into a recreational, entertainment harbor with restaurants and bars.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Where did all the shrimp boats move to when the left Aransas Pass? I used to enjoy driving there just to see all the boats.

I understand Aransas Pass is planning on turning Conn Brown Harbor into a recreational, entertainment harbor with restaurants and bars.
The fleets, including Port Lavaca, moved north to Palacios. You can find on-line topo charts showing areas of contamination and pollution for shellfish harvesting. The long runs and price of diesel for those big cat coupled with cheap imported shrimp has significantly impacted the industry.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:33 PM

16,769 posts, read 42,857,532 times
Wow I never would have guessed Palacioius. That must be transforming that sleepy little town. I imagine that long a haul from Palacious to the gulf does impact the profitability of the shrimping industry.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Wow I never would have guessed Palacioius. That must be transforming that sleepy little town. I imagine that long a haul from Palacious to the gulf does impact the profitability of the shrimping industry.
Palacioius is an interesting weekend escape in an old down home coastal sort of way. You may recall they found La Salle's ship La Belle in Matagorda Bay:
La Salle Archeology Projects | Texas Historical Commission

I spent a couple weeks there as a guest at the old Luther Hotel where most of the project personnel stayed during the excavation. It was an interesting group, good food, relaxed, but very, very, old and decaying. I noted they had about 200 steel hull gulf shrimp boats at that time. The Vietnamese have established a large community there in seafood produce serving the large Vietnamese markets in Houston.

Two things have greatly impacted shrimping. First are the required low-drag doors . . .too much water resistence ie. more fuel to drag. Secondly, recent requirements for low sulfur diesel (air quality demands) conflict with the old Cat. diesel engines designed for #2 diesel. And like mentioned before, the cheap imported shrimp.

Why I know a bit about shrimping goes back to my first serious girlfriend in Aransas Pass. Her dad owned a fleet of shrimp boats and St. Georges Packing House on Conn Brown Harbor. They ran the fleet in the Pass during the summer and home ported in Fort Myers Beach, FL. during the winter. I sorta' developed a lifelong interest in a declining industry. Her dad put me to work, not shrimping which could be a rough crowd, but as a general "Go-fer."

If you haven't been to Palacious in the last 15-20 years it might surprise you. It has a nice Vietnamese neighborhood, two ship yards, a several old home-style cafes to include an excellent Pho house.

Btw, owning a 19' Potter doesn't make one much of a captain . . .unless of course you have a girlfriend or a Lab to style for!

Old 05-23-2014, 08:23 AM

34 posts, read 150,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Disclaimer:

Last I was in the vicinity of Corpus Christi was July 1-6th. 2010. That was for the Tall Ships Festival commemorating the transfer of the Ingleside Naval Base to the Port of Corpus Christi. This post contains a small amount of distilled information, some of which was acquired while living aboard a West Wright Potter berthed in a slip adjacent to a bay shrimper at the Corpus Christi Municipal Marina on the People Street T-Head in 1981. Many things, seawall/vendor permits, Chapter 12 of the City Code of Ordinances for the marina regulations with regard to slip fees, dockage, liveaboards, ect, have changed. Note, due to hurricane, Allen, there were many open slips., I was casually living aboard a friends leased slip, with power and water hook-ups, while renovating the salvaged Potter. A person could not do that in this day and times . . .Be warned, Things change.

The short answer is . . . like most things, it depends. They may have regulated shrimp-off-the-boat sales, like liveaboards, outta' town, with the numerous fees, insurance, and permits. I read the regs in 2009 and recall the liveaboard issues in the 90's. I also noted the increased floating docks and slip spaces the city has created . . .all the more debris to litter the bay while waiting for the next major hurricane.

Street Smarts:

The shrimper's selling fresh catch in the time I was there was always an iffy thing but usually you could find shrimp . . .maybe not always the best shrimp. Sometimes shrimp were re-sold off the boat. Some of those old boats were barely dock worthy, much less operational, in a time when diesel was .82 cents a gallon.

Consider next time you gaze upon the bay how many shrimp boats have drug that muddy bottom over the last 100 years. Notice the difference between bay and gulf shrimp. Imo, bay shrimp are better for live/dead bait . . . sometimes they did get nice shrimp, it just depends. Shrimping depends on many things. In general, many environmental and biological variables such as temperature, salinity, tidal heights, rain-fall and subsequent amounts of fresh water flowing into marsh habitats in estuaries and bays from surrounding rivers.

Sometimes my adjacent shrimper in CC would buy shrimp on the dock at Conn Brown Harbor (Aransas Pass), in 40 pound bags, and haul them in ice-chest back to resell at the T-Head.

I noticed today, jumbo shrimp at H-E-B were almost 12 dollars a pound. They really didn't appear to be jumbos to me. At any rate, if you are buying off the boat here is something to consider; fresh shrimp that have never been frozen have reflective orange eyes. If they are not so fresh, or have ever been frozen and defrosted, the eye is dull with a dark red color. Most gulf shrimp will be flash frozen at the time they're caught on a gulf shrimper.

I always feel the shrimp I'm buying. I'm looking for "feel" and "slimey" . . .fresh shrimp are not slimey like an older shrimp becomes. Lastly, smell the shrimp. . .sometimes they will soak shrimp in ice water with lemon juice to hold overnight, it makes the shrimp feel and smell fresher. . .if you smell a hint of lemon, Caveat emptor. Soaking shrimp makes them tasteless.

Sometimes in Port A. you can catch local area shrimpers fishing what's called " inside the "provisional line" . . . within 9 miles of the coast. You can often get real deals knowing how, what, and when to buy. In general there are There are two ‘seasons’ for big white off-shore shrimp, always frozen. Usually, during June, shortly after the season opens, and Sept. through December. These are the jumbos of 10-15 count per pound and X- large at 16-20. It appears the grading system now depends on where you shop.

I often took a small ice-chest so I would be prepared to buy should I find nice shrimp in Port A. Unlike most seafood, shrimp do not suffer a loss of flavor after being frozen. In fact, you can thaw and refreeze good shrimp without flavor loss. It's best to let frozen shrimp defrost laying on rock/kosher salt, improves the flavor.

It comes to mind . . .you can sometimes find large/X-large live brown shrimp in Port A. and Aransas Pass. If so, you might take a bottle of white wine in a deep bowl or non-metallic pot and putting the live shrimp directly in the wine. . .from the bait stand. If you allow them to marinate alive they will purge the sand line and "catch" the flavor. I grill these at once just basting with garlic butter . . .

I might mention one important thing many folks miss. Namely, it takes a good cook to properly prepare shrimp, most seem to over-cook shrimp. Over cooked shrimp become rubber-like and lose their briny sweet flavor. Well prepared shrimp ought to have a sweet, briny taste, a tender texture, and . . .how do you quantify "Mouth feel" . . .substance?

One way I use to avoid over-cooking shrimp is to pay attention to the "spring factor." Note, when we cook a shrimp it curls inward, if you

hold the shrimp by the head or where the head was and gently pull the tail down and let it go it should "spring" back up. . .if not, you've over cooked it. In deep frying shrimp try and avoid big jumbos until you have real skills. The breading and thickness of jumbos makes temperature and time critical. Some of the finest cooks use squash oil for special deep fried breaded shrimp. Squash oil is simply the oil from pressings of the common butternuts squash . . .not that difficult, or coconut oil.

For estimating purposes, 24 jumbo uncooked shrimp equal approximately 1 1/2 pounds, peeled, headed, tails intact. According to a friend who lives on Padre Island, there is a "shrimp truck" most days between the high bridge and Flour Bluff on the return side from Padre Is. It's parked on the side of the road. She said they have good shrimp from Port A. I recall, last time I was down, the Polly Anna, a big 100 ft. gulf shrimper, located near the Port A. harbor near the ferry landing had good shrimp, great prices, and was selling at 9 AM. Keep in mind, they drag at night. Early morning is the better time to buy shrimp to cook that day/night. . .IMO.

I've watched this post to see what if anything CC posters knew or might say about shrimp off the boat.
I quickly fired this off with my first cup of coffee this morning. . .leaving much out of "The Time of the Shrimp Boats." There was a time when the international price of shrimp was set in Brownsville, TX. A time when CC had brightly painted well maintained shrimp boats on the T-Heads, boats that actually fished.

Seems like all that's remained from what I remember, is what must be CC's favorite, "Boat & Net", cheap over fried fast shrimp. On the other hand, I had some shrimp ceviche made by a local shrimper, on the boat, as good as anything I've had in Mexico, Peru, or Chile. I seldom if ever have shrimp in a restaurant, you don't know what you're getting, besides, you can make it better at home. There are any number of different kinds of shrimp . . .ask someone, your local fish monger . . .you'll find most have no idea aside from, Mama likes. . .whatever.

Shrimp will be coming in through the passes the week of the full moon in June. A guy that knows what he's doing can fill up an ice chest with a cast net on one of those nights. I know I sure had a lot of fun when Corpus Christi Pass was open in 81' and 82'.

Thusly spoke, Captain Rust
Great read....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi