Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 05:01 PM

29 posts, read 53,600 times

Advertisements

I am considering taking a job near Portland/Ingleside. I am a late 20's single male looking to rent for 1,200-1400/month. I like to kayak fish quite a bit. I also like to go out to some bars and plan to attend a bunch of hooks games. So after researching this forum a bunch, it sounds like south side or downtown is the most suggested place for young professionals. However, with my job, it looks like south side would be a pretty long commute. Downtown might be a good option, but it seems like finding an apartment with a garage unit attached to store my kayak in might be hard (Bay Vista in particular). So I have been looking and portland might be a good spot. Would I be bored in that town? It looks close to fishing, work, and downtown activities. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 05:49 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,997,840 times
order88, I have been in Portland for 5 years now. Portland doesn't have bars/clubs (although there are lounges in some of the restaurants), but it DOES have a lot of amenities, including lots of shopping, restaurants, outdoor activities and more! Portland is rapidly growing, due to people wanting out of CC and Nueces county, as well as the explosion of industry in the Port and La Quinta shipping channel. Further, Portland is only 7 miles from Corpus Christi downtown, which is just over the Harbor Bridge/Nueces Bay Causeway.

Portland would be a great choice for you, if you don't want the long commute. If you are wanting more inland, there are other areas close to Portland that might suit you too (Taft, Sinton), or perhaps Ingleside/Aransas Pass would be to your liking (both towns 5-10 miles away). Portland, however, is by far the largest of those communities, and would certainly have the most amenities!

Let me know if you have any other questions. Hope that helps!

Old 06-07-2014, 09:38 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,133,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by order88 View Post
I am considering taking a job near Portland/Ingleside. I am a late 20's single male looking to rent for 1,200-1400/month. I like to kayak fish quite a bit. I also like to go out to some bars and plan to attend a bunch of hooks games. So after researching this forum a bunch, it sounds like south side or downtown is the most suggested place for young professionals. However, with my job, it looks like south side would be a pretty long commute. Downtown might be a good option, but it seems like finding an apartment with a garage unit attached to store my kayak in might be hard (Bay Vista in particular). So I have been looking and portland might be a good spot. Would I be bored in that town? It looks close to fishing, work, and downtown activities. Any ideas?
I lived in Portland before I moved back to the San Antonio area, and I loved it. It's just a few minutes from downtown CC & the bayfront, the Hooks games, and all the bars. It's also a short drive to Port A and Mustang Island. There's also some bars on North Beach, between Portland and downtown CC.

I'm not sure if any of the apartments in Portland have garages (try Northshore Landing and The Pavilions at Northshore), but many upscale apartment communities have extra storage, which may be big enough to store your kayak. If you can't find a place with a garage in Portland, you can keep your kayak and fishing gear in a unit at Coastal Mini Storage, just a few minutes down the road in Aransas Pass. The rates are very reasonable, and the owner lives on the property.

If you decide to pass on Portland, you may find a place to your liking around Ennis Joslin & SPID, on Saratoga Blvd., or on Padre Island. But those will be a longer commute than Portland, and there will be traffic on SPID in the afternoons.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:17 PM

29 posts, read 53,600 times
thanks for the information guys. Hopefully some stuff will start moving on my job and I can head down there to check it out.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:36 PM

3 posts, read 5,865 times
Hey bro it looks like we're in the same exact boat. Sent you a pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi